Helping others help you with script issues

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Tsukihime, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    When you have a script-related issue, there are things that you can do to help others help you.

1. Reproduce the problem

You should do this before you report the problem. Nothing's worse than reporting a problem, only to realize that it was something completely different.

Create a new project and then recreate the issue you're having. This allows you to isolate the problem so that you are sure the problem you are having is where you believe it occurs. You might even solve the problem yourself while you're at it.

2. Make a new topic

Rather than asking your question in another topic, consider creating a new topic describing your problem. If there's a topic for the script, you can try asking the question there, but it is typically faster to get support when you go to the support forums.

3. Describe the issue (from Mouser)

Don't just say what the program tells you: Tell us what you were doing or trying to do when the error occurred. Does it happen with certain items? Where did those items come from? Talking with a certain NPC - which lines did you choose? In battle? What skills were you using and against what mobs does it happen? etc...

4. Post links to the scripts

If you haven't changed the scripts that are causing problems, provide a link to the source if one is available.

If the crash only occurs after you have made your changes, for example certain configuration options or you've added new lines to address compatibility issues, indicate clearly what the changes are and what changes to make.

5. Provide a demo project

When you have managed to reproduce the problem in your new project, you will have a demo ready to go.

If you still haven't solved the problem, you can choose to share this.

Decreasing file size

• Use RTP resources when possible. Only provide custom resources if they are required.
    • Exclude scripts that are not related to the problem.
    Sharing your demo
    • Attach your project to the forums as a zip file.
    • If it's too big, use file-sharing sites that do not require users to wait to download, such as skydrive, dropbox, or box.
    Sharing only data files
    For advanced users. In RM, it isn't necessary to upload the entire demo project, especially if we're all using the same default project.

If you choose to do this, you might need to tell others how to reproduce the problem with those files.

Basically, you would zip up your data folder and then share that instead of sharing the entire project. Others can create a new project and then replace the data files with your files. This results in a very small file to share.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
    ShadowLurk, Shaz and iRonan like this.
  2. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll add for file size issues: audio files take up a very large amount of data that doesn't need to be transferred.

If your project uses custom audio files (say, some background music) that you've added - change those maps to use "stock" sounds for the purposes of the bug testing so the project doesn't break when it can't find the right audio file (unless you think it's the audio that's somehow causing the bug).

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ugh! Pinned!!!

Yato likes this.
  4. ShadowLurk

ShadowLurk Tanoshii~ Veteran

I'll just add one thing.

When asking for help with a script error, instead of providing only the produced error message, it is better to also include the script line where the problem occurred in the post.

So, when the script you use makes an error in line 999, also post what is in line 999 in that script. It's also a good thing to also include a few lines before and after that line.

Most problem can be located faster this way.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
  5. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'll weigh in on this one.

Other than simple syntax errors (which most people will quickly learn to fix themselves), the line the interpreter chokes on and the line the error is on are very likely to be in different places, different methods, different classes. They may even be in different scripts altogether: Script A does something that affects Script B. Script C throws the error.

That's why it's so important to isolate the error. Make a project that can reproduce that error, using the smallest number of scripts possible:

Start the project and start adding scripts until you consistently get the error. Then, if you have multiple non-core scripts, try removing them one at a time and see if you still get the error. Once you've isolated the group of scripts that 'don't play well' with each other, you've got something really useful to submit. If you've only got one script, then obviously that's where the problem lies (probably), so this part is simple in that case.

Yes, post the error message and the line and script the error shows up at, but following Hime's advice about creating the error producing project will save everyone a lot of time tracking down where the real problem lies. It will also start to teach you the basics of learning to debug your own code.

Hime didn't mention this so I will: Don't just say what the program tells you: Tell us what you were doing or trying to do when the error occurred. Does it happen with certain items? Where did those items come from? Talking with a certain NPC - which lines did you choose? In battle? What skills were you using and against what mobs does it happen? etc...

ShadowLurk likes this.
  6. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    Good points. I'll revise the OP to include some of those points.

When I wrote it, it was mainly "I don't want to download large files so make them small" but since it got pinned I should probably also expand on some of those points.

I wouldn't go into debugging techniques here. Rather, I would just link to another guide that goes into debugging techniques.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  7. Hathios82

Hathios82 Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    I Have a Problem with Scripts.

I want to add the Script for Skills level up and Monster HP Bar.

Where exactly and I mean at which position in the Script from the Game I add the New Script in?

I can't find where it is written and want to know and I even don't know if I am right here for that question.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Then please make a new topic where you include the links to the scripts and hopefully follow the advices given above as well.
    This topic is NOT for helping you solve a problem, it's for describing how you can make your own topic about your specific problems in the best way.

9. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    Added a point on making a new topic.

Shaz likes this.