Heretic's Dynamic Lighting (XP) - Prototype Demo

Discussion in 'RGSSx Scripts In Development' started by Heretic86, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Heretic86

Heretic86 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Engrish
    A couple of you may have seen these screenshots from the Dynamic Lighting script Im working on:

(These screenshots are Animated, so give them a moment to load:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im putting out a Prototype Demo so you can download and play with this script a bit and I can get some feedback before a final release.

Heretic's Dynamic Lighting - Prototype Demo Download

http://downloads.chaos-project.com/heretic86/LightingPreRelease.exe - Obsolete

--- EDIT ---

Final Version is available in Heretic's Collection of Art and Scripts

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/67157-a-few-scripts-i-wrote-for-xp/

There is still quite a bit of work to be done on the back end.  I've ended up having to use some custom DLLs and C++ code to make this thing as efficient as possible, and to do things that just are not possible in RMXP alone.  I would like to make sure that this script still runs very smoothly on everyones machines so I can get a feel for how much optimization I have to implement.  My box is just about top of the line so I cant judge performance on lower end machines very well, thus, I need your help to tell me how well this script works on your computers!

Now, as far as features go, I only have one major one to work on.  Lightning!  However, I'd like some feedback on how you think I should implement a Lightning System (not Lighting, Lightning).  If you tap the SHIFT key, the screen will flash blue.  But Im not sure I like it.  Its just for effect and wont be in the final release.  I had something going where Lightning would cause all shadows outdoors to fade out.  I wasnt sure I liked that either.  So the easy thing to do is ask you guys how you think a Lightning Flash should appear?

Comments?  Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Noctis

Noctis Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Those are some awesome lighting effects! Too bad I'm not using XP. Do you plan on releasing a plugin for mv as well?

3. Heretic86

First Language:
    Engrish

Nope, XP only.  I dont own MV.

4. Heretic86

First Language:
    Engrish
    *bump*

I had to recompile the DLL file Im using, so the last build was no good, but I put a new version up.  Trouble now is that I dont have any way to test it to make sure it doesnt have any goofy dependencies or errors because I have stuff installed that other people shouldnt need to have installed.

Would anyone mind telling me if this at least runs and doesnt give any obvious errors?

5. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It runs and all the events work perfect dude.  I haven't played around with the project but the game works fine.

6. Heretic86

First Language:
    Engrish

Thank you for letting me know.  I was concerned that this Prototype was up and no one was able to play it at all.

I still have a few things to do with this, but mostly its in improving the image quality of stretched light sources, which needs to be handled in the DLL file.  I think that for the most part, everything else is done.

7. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's amazing! Please make an RGSS3 Version.

8. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Looks and works great, like other people said, I hope you manage to port it to MV and/or VX Axe one day, so you'll have a way bigger audience for this awesome script!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
  9. DragonVine

DragonVine May or May Not be Batman Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This script is insanely cool. I'm even tempted to use XP just so I get to use this script haha. Well done!

10. Heretic86

First Language:
    Engrish
    Yeah, if you would just come to the Dark Side and use XP instead, that would be great...

---

I dont have any intent on porting it over to VX/A, but if someone else wants to take a swing at it, I really dont think there would be that much to do other than changing a couple of class names around.  I just dont own MV or VX/A because Enterbrain refuses to give us back Layers and the ass-tastic looking chibi characters.  If you have VX/A, try it out and see if it works, or see what else needs to be done with it and post that!

As far as the DLL goes, even with the work that needs to be done on it for linear interpolation (looks less blocky when zoomed in), I believe it will be compatible with anything Ruby based, but not JS based.

RocketKnight likes this.
  11. CRASH90125

CRASH90125 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    How do you slow the day & night transition down to make it like REAL life day and night transition? (same time duration)

12. Heretic86

First Language:
    Engrish
    Its an option called "Minutes Per Day".

You can change the Default setting by changing "Minutes_Per_Day" from its default of 10 to what ever you want. The default of 10 means you get 5 minutes of Day and 5 minutes of Night, with a gradual transition between both.

You can also change this on the fly during Gameplay by running a Script Call: $game_system.minutes_per_day = 10 and just change 10 to what ever number you wish.

It is in the Readme section of the script, but yes, I do understand there is a TON of features you can use, so looking for one specific option... well, its buried under a mountain of features.

---

Side Note:

I also just did an update today on Super Event Sensor, and have posted it yet, but have not updated the Main Post to reflect the changes. The changes I made were by request, asking specifically for Dynamic Light Integration into Sensors. No changes were made to the Dynamic Lighting Script itself.

Super Event Sensor Version 1.1 is available here:
    http://downloads.chaos-project.com/heretic86/SuperEventSensorVersion1.1LightDetection.txt