Blackfield

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german, english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!

I want my hero only to be moving on the Y axis. For that I placed 4 events around his position. To the left/right a blockade. Above and below a player touch event. If touched, all events and the player move up/down 1 tile. The Y range is limited by a variable.

-> This works very well until I stay on the up-key instead of only pushing it shortly. Then the strangest things happen. The hero for example walks several tiles at once up, also above the limited Y range. Interestingly enough this only happens with up, not with down even though the events are the same.

I attached the -very simple- event. Do you guys know what is happening?

Attachments

• event up.PNG
    event up.PNG
    192.8 KB · Views: 7

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
most likely because you have waits in the event. A wait basically tells the engine "do not process this event for x frames, then continue" - and if you make multiple steps in that sequence, you're skipping.

but why do you make this with complex events? why not simply make a special tileset where the tiles are set to only allow movement up and down?
directional passability is an option in the tileset definition....

Blackfield

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german, english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haha wow that is SO easy. Sometimes it is embarrassing, how complicated my mind is searching for solutions. Thank you! :D

p.s.: Out of curiousity I tried to remove the wait time but that didn't work. But problem solved :)

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Blackfield, what were you exactly planning to do for your game? Only a defined spot where you can move only up and down or something else?

Blackfield

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
german, english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It will be only a small minigame as part of my main game. Basically a party member is taken hostage and the player is chasing the cabin on a horse. Then I will send im some events from left to right that the player needs to avoid. :)

Is there maybe a minigame publicly available that I can work with already and don't have to start from scratch?

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Blackfield, for what you want to do, what Andar said will be just enough to restrict your movements.

Besides that, I would recommend taking a look at the "Events I" lesson (from my signature project). It can give you some directions on how to use events for things like that.

You will need to create events with "event touch" triggers and use switches for the desired effects. The rest is up to you! :wink:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Make a Game in RMMZ Streams are going to remain in hiatus this week. Too much to do! 4 things will be announced on Monday though! Look forward to that.
Typed a long-ish reply to a post... forgot to actually HIT the post button, and moved to a different page.... finally noticed, don't remember what all I had typed and don't feel like trying to re-type it all.... smh....
Their tactics are evolving. They've learned to call for help when cornered. Never trust a mammal!
Good morning all. I still have a post up on video editing for cinematic trailers. Please make sure to check that out and give me a message as its still active in offers.
Hey everyone! I'm back :D

Snow White? More like Snowhere to be seen amiright? Hahaha I'm so sorry!! :kaocry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anselmo00