Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Introduction

Heroes of Legionwood: Age of Darkness is a classical style fantasy cRPG set in a world on the brink of annihilation. It is the first installment in the brand new 3 part Heroes of Legionwood saga. Although it is the first episode in a trilogy of adventures, Age of Darkness can also be played as a stand-alone game, containing roughly 10 hours or non-linear gameplay.

Heroes of Legionwood takes place 100 years following the events of Legionwood 2: Rise of the Eternal's Realm. Civilization has been consumed by a malevolent force known as the Darkness and only the last remnants of humanity remain, stranded on the isolated Alexis Island in the Aldegard Archipelago where they have no choice but to await their inevitable demise.

Playing the role of Locke, a young adventurer determined to save his people, you'll discover a world where your choices have consequences and every victory comes with a price. Can you stop the Darkness, or will you perish along with your people, never to be heard from again?

Features
 ​
  • The first installment in a brand new Legionwood mythos.
  • Non-linear coversation system where your responses define the story.
  • Traditional turn based battles with intelligent foes and 3 different difficulty levels.
  • Day and night cycle which creates a living, breathing world.
  • Dynamic party members who react to your decisions.
  • Make choices that will affect future episodes.
 ​
Screenshots

Download

Buy now for $6.99 USD

Try the free demo

tearsofthenight

Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
i liked the 1st legionwood didn't like the 2nd maybe this one will be better?

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This game is a little different to both previous Legionwood games, but I did make a conscious decision to return to the style of Legionwood 1 with certain elements of the game. The story and gameplay are both quite similar to Legionwood 1, and so is the art style.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone.

I know it's been a while, but I've been pretty busy over here with my new job and getting stuck into Heroes of Legionwood: Resurrection, the second "half" of the story. At the moment, it's going pretty well and I'm looking at an early 2016 release. The second installment is much longer and the story is a bit darker.

It's designed to be a standalone game, but it is meant to continue on from where this game left off, so I hope you've all kept your save files handy. Those of you who've played Aldorlea's Milennium series probably already know how episodic RPG Maker games work.

I just thought you'd all appreciate an update on what's happening. Originally, I was going to do three episodes, but I've actually decided to combine the second and third installments into one game. You can read all about it here: http://www.darkgaiastudios.com/apps/blog/. The main reason is because I'm itching to get started on a project with MV, but I also think there are good narrative reasons why breaking up the next installment isn't a good idea.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Found a small bug. When the game tells you that you can move "Locke" Around right at the begining before you gain control, it doesn't make sense as I named the character "Elise" Just thought I would point that out, as it is a commercial game. Also if you don't mind, how did you get the nice setup installer for your game, its very nice and professional looking. I would very much appreciate if you explained that to me. :)

I am only trying to help and I'm not being mean. :)

Some more significant bugs:

- chimney smoke is a little off on top of the houses.

- Face Graphic is incorrect and shows the Male Protagonist for numerous things such as when first entering your house and when talking to various things inside your house like the stove when I chose the female protagonist at the beginning. For a commercial game, this kind of bug in the demo is a big turn off for potential buyers.

- When attempting to leave the town without completing whats asked of you, also shows the male protagonist.

*I will add more if I find more.

Last edited by a moderator:

IAmJakeSauvage

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I already posted a review on Steam so I'm just going to post the important stuff here...

*PROS*
-Lovely use of the DS+ graphics/Great mapping
-Non-linear
-Skill system/Field skills (Kind of in the middle on this one)

*CONS*
- Bugs. Passability bugs in the Manor, bugs with objectives (the last one I remember was in the mines sidequest - I couldn't complete that quest), quest book bugs...just so many EASY that should have been caught in beta.

- A lot of "filler" skills. I would have preferred to upgrade abilities than to have a BUNCH that all kind of do the same thing.
-Walls of flavorless text. You can tell you have a knack for writing - but there's no flavor to any of the characters - they're all...kind of the same when they talk.
- TOO MANY RANDOM ENCOUNTERS. Oh my god! I can't stress this one enough. Every few steps you're going to have to trudge through another battle - this is especially irritating when you've already done the area and are forced to head through it again. Take some inspiration from games like Deadly Sin 2 and input a "monster node" system - or something that turns off random encounters. 
-Poorly fleshed out "Quest" book (and so many errors relating to it - I kept getting error windows 1/2 the times I accepted a quest. This should be fixed right away as it REALLY kills the immersion.).
-Poorly balanced battles
-Side quests - you're forced to trudge through WHOLE AREAS AGAIN to complete some side quests. This is my biggest pet peeve with most RPGMaker games - they need to be respectful of the players time and open up forms of fast travel/teleportation.

I really hope you fix the quest book, balance encounters/battles and input some form of fast travel - because this game really has a lot of potential!

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i have to say the first one is one of my favs....

second..... to jake, one the number of encounters seems fine to me, reminds me of my nes and snes days, also fast travel is a relitively new thing, sure breath of fire 1 and 2 both had the warp spell but you could only travel to cities you have been too before, and it cost a large amount of mp (generally 15-20) not to mention obtained late in the game (usually an end game spell) (generally the same for the dragon quest series of games), and fast travel does take away from an rpg, its one thing to cast a warp spell to go to a previously visited city, its another to use fast travel to avoid exploration/traveling portion of games....

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey guys.

Thanks for your feedback. I very rarely check forums these days, since making games commercially means my time gets eaten up much faster, but I do eventually check and appreciate your comments.

@Dungeonmind: Thanks for your bug reports. I thought I'd finally hunted down the last of the "wrong face" errors, but I guess there's a few more. I'm using a script to dynamically display a different face depending on the player's gender, but sometimes it doesn't work. Re: the installer, check out a freeware program called InstallForge. It's a bit tricky to learn, but it gets the job done.

@Jake: Thanks for your review. I did see it on Steam but I generally don't personally respond to Steam reviews these days. That said, I definitely took your feedback into account and Episode 2 contains a new Talent and a Runecraft that drop the encounter rate and side quests/areas that are generally more streamlined. I'm also currently working on a small patch for the current episode that addresses the random encounters and should fix the remaining quest log errors. Re: skills and battle balance, that's something I probably won't tweak much further at this stage. For the most part, player consensus seems to indicate that it's just about right -- my games have typically been pretty difficult, which is why Heroes of Legionwood has different difficulty settings. The skill trees are designed so that most skills have a specific purpose as well. That said, there is some overlap between classes with different skills fulfilling the same role, but this is to make sure each party setup is viable more than anything.

@Einherijar: You're correct. The basic idea was to replicate the feel and flow of the old SNES era RPGs. That said, I'm open to including ways to alleviate the encounter rate for people who don't enjoy that style of gameplay.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dark Gaia:

I'm happy to help.

InstallForge: Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it and it looks pretty nifty I'm going to have to use this. However, is this allowed? I mean it says free to use but were using it commercially and does Rpg Maker Enterbrain/KADOKAWA allow this I wonder? :)

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As far as I know their license includes commercial use. As for Enterbrain, you're allowed to package your game files in an installer -- the only thing you can't do is modify the RPG Maker code :)

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i've got to ask what is the battle step count you use? i'm trying to balance it in my game but cant get that nes or snes feel..... its either too much or too little

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use 50 for most of my maps. This generally results in an encounter rate similar to the SNES Final Fantasy games. If a map's particularly small or doesn't allow for much movement, I use the default 30 instead. I find that the default step count usually generates too many encounters, but for confined areas it's fine.

That said, a lot of modern gamers aren't used to the older games and will find 50 to still be too high. You should make sure you provide a way to decrease the encounter rate, or make the encounters optional for these players.

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i personally think that modern gamers are too spoiled with things like fast travel and low encounter rates..... but i guess i could add some holy water item......

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Dark Gaia: yeah you have to contact them first for commercial use, it says so in there information manual, I take it since you didn't know that you might be breaking there agreement. Just thought I would let you know what I found in there instructions. Always glad to help another fellow rpg makerer.

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks. That must be a new addition -- when I first started using it a few years ago I don't think that was there. I'll send them an email and see what the deal is. If they're no longer available for commercial use there are other programs such as Clickteam Install Creator that can be used. Luckily it only takes a few minutes to make an installer, so it's quite easy to change over if I have to.

EDIT: It seems the instruction manual is out of date. As per their current EULA, commercial use is allowed. I hope this helps :)

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
hey, for some reason just discovered this game today, and as someone who is a fan of the other two games, i became excited. at first, i was disappointed because the art style and gameplay are both so different, but they quickly drew me in.

i have to say - as someone who usually HATES front-view battle systems, this is one of the first rpg maker games where I actually quite liked it. What script are you using for that - is that just yanfly's visual battle system? Did you make some modifications?

Well done and I look forward to more of your games!

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio

Writer - Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
N/A
I played this game and a couple of games in the Legionwood series and have been a fan. The games were enjoyable and filled with tons of fun. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)
Things I thought would never happen but just did: I needed to use my snow shovel. In August. In the Northern Hemisphere.
So I finished Cupcake, now I need to figure out my next project!
Do I pick up one of my incomplete games?
Do I start something entirely new???
The possibilities are endless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarina