Donny

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making my first RM game. I'm really excited because it incorporates all my various creative interests in one place: character design, world building, illustration, game development and music. I've made a few games in Unity (and published one to Google play) but I don't think I'm that kind of dev. I've also been trying for ages to make comics, but I'm suited to that either.

I've been through the RMMV tutorial and will base my game mechanics on that. I think what will set my game apart will be the story and original art and music. Hopefully, over time I'll be able to expand my use of RMMV.

The plan:
  • Preproduction
  1. Write out script
  2. Develop some basic concept art
  3. Determine how many locations, characters and props I'll need
  • Prototype
  1. Make a playable prototype using included assets
  2. At this point, I would shift to the Games in development forum
  • Production
  1. Create assets and slowly put them into the game
  2. After all assets are in game, post a build
  3. testing / feedback
  • Launch
  1. Publish to itch
  2. Publish to New Grounds
  3. depending on the quality, publish to Google Play / Steam

The story is based on the RMMV tutorial:
  • To graduate from knight school, you must pass your final exam which is to battle your professors
  • If you pass the exam, you will be inducted into the order of the good knights
  • After becoming an official knight you are sent on your first quest
  • Your first quest is to defeat the boss demon in the dungeon of despair
  • In the dungeon of despair you will face lesser foes as well as encounter other NPC denizens of the dungeon
  • After you defeat the boss demon you will return to the Good Knights Guild and receive your reward
  • the End
The setting will be stylized medieval fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[dpost]Donny[/dpost]
I have merged them for you this time. If you want to add something, just use the Edit button on your earlier post and type the additional info/comment.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Your story outline sounds excellent as a test game or a proof-of-concept, but very weak as an artistic or commercially-appealing work.

You say the story is "based on the MV Tutorial" that everyone sees, but you also say that the story will "set your game apart" - so I guess I'm a little confused! Which one is it? :D

I wish you the very best in your game-making ambitions on MV!

Donny

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your story outline sounds excellent as a test game or a proof-of-concept, but very weak as an artistic or commercially-appealing work.

You say the story is "based on the MV Tutorial" that everyone sees, but you also say that the story will "set your game apart" - so I guess I'm a little confused! Which one is it? :D

I wish you the very best in your game-making ambitions on MV!

Hey, thank you and good catch!

You're right, it's not clear... What I mean is that the story structure is the same as the tutorial (basic go to dungeon), but my story as in backstory is unique (I don't want to spoil it though).

Donny

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[dpost]Donny[/dpost]
I have merged them for you this time. If you want to add something, just use the Edit button on your earlier post and type the additional info/comment.

Oh sorry, don't think I meant to do that.

Donny

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I think artistically, it'll be pretty sweet. Commercially, I think it'll do ok. It'll be a small game.

Some character illustrations... I'm thinking I might just do the whole thing in black and white...Good Knights Concepts.jpg

Donny

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Do you have any specific metrics / statistics that might back up your claim that it might be weak artistically / commercially? Or any specific advice and relevant examples of how one might make a strong commercially appealing work? I'm always open to informed feedback. Thank you!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Donny You've just done a triple post. If you want to quote more than one person please use the Multiquote button otherwise the forum software automatically creates a new post for each quote. Alternatively you can use the @ plus the username which alerts them to the fact that you have replied to them as I did for this post.

Donny

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes AHHH! I'm flailing about like an octopus on acid. thanks for the assistance.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No problem. The forum software has some odd quirks to it!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D
I'm running a sale for Learn RPG Maker MV on Itch.io, can I compete with NSFW games earning goals?
Another Friday and another Zoom call that could have been an email. Working from home is awesome.
Finished with the semester; finally have some time to play around with MV :kaopride:
Started work on the fishing Mini-Game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azel2