Mato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I am using rpg maker mz and every so often like at least 2 or 3 times a day my screen will flash back and when it comes back my rpg maker mz has crashed i keep losing so much work and i am not sure why it is happening

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Tech Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
three possibilities that I can think of directly:

1) you're storing the project in a cloudsync'ed folder (in the case of Microsoft OneDrive that might even be without your knowledge).
The RMs access their files like a database (constantly open) instead of only when saving, because the amount of data is too high to use regular file operations. And that means that any cloudsync whith the editor working has a chance of destroying those files.
Please store the project outside could-folders and only use clouds for distribution and manual backup.

2) your antivirus gets a false positive on RM because RMMV and RMMZ use HTNL5-Technologies with local file access.
Most Antivirus and similar protection programs can't detect the difference between a local HTML-file accessing local files and a remote website trying to infect your computer.
Add RMMV/RMMZ to the whitelist of all your protection programs (not only antivirus, there might be others)

3) your harddrive is near End-of-Life and has to remap failing storage sectors. This usually takes a ten-year-old harddrive under regular working conditions, but a bad ventilation or other overheating causes can age a computer much faster, resulting in similar effects after one or two years of service in a hot environment.
save your project externally and purchase a new harddrive to replace the current one if a program like checkdrive reports a S.M.A.R.T.-status of below 50% (normal is 80% or above, a number <50% means you're only a few weeks or months away from total failure)

Mato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

1) you're storing the project in a cloudsync'ed folder (in the case of Microsoft OneDrive that might even be without your knowledge).
The RMs access their files like a database (constantly open) instead of only when saving, because the amount of data is too high to use regular file operations. And that means that any cloudsync whith the editor working has a chance of destroying those files.
Please store the project outside could-folders and only use clouds for distribution and manual backup.

2) your antivirus gets a false positive on RM because RMMV and RMMZ use HTNL5-Technologies with local file access.
Most Antivirus and similar protection programs can't detect the difference between a local HTML-file accessing local files and a remote website trying to infect your computer.
Add RMMV/RMMZ to the whitelist of all your protection programs (not only antivirus, there might be others)

3) your harddrive is near End-of-Life and has to remap failing storage sectors. This usually takes a ten-year-old harddrive under regular working conditions, but a bad ventilation or other overheating causes can age a computer much faster, resulting in similar effects after one or two years of service in a hot environment.
save your project externally and purchase a new harddrive to replace the current one if a program like checkdrive reports a S.M.A.R.T.-status of below 50% (normal is 80% or above, a number <50% means you're only a few weeks or months away from total failure)
how can i tell if it is sync with the cloud and how do i remove it from there

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the folderpath
you need to check the full folderpath beginning with drive letter and to the index.html.
it will look like "c:\folder\folder\folder" and so on instead of beginning with the shortcut "this PC".
You can usually see it in the properties of the folder where your project is.

if one of the folders is named after a cloudservice (onedrive, dropbox, etc.) then you are in a cloudsync'ed folder.
and to remove it from sync simply store the project elsewhere

Mato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
i did it and will write if it works now

Mato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
the folderpath
you need to check the full folderpath beginning with drive letter and to the index.html.
it will look like "c:\folder\folder\folder" and so on instead of beginning with the shortcut "this PC".
You can usually see it in the properties of the folder where your project is.

if one of the folders is named after a cloudservice (onedrive, dropbox, etc.) then you are in a cloudsync'ed folder.
and to remove it from sync simply store the project elsewhere
it still happended this all started after the mz update for me could that be apart fo it?

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Above I gave you three options that could cause it.
If it happened after an update and it isn' due to a cloudsync the second option is the most likely cause.

Mato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Above I gave you three options that could cause it.
If it happened after an update and it isn' due to a cloudsync the second option is the most likely cause.
ok but what do i do about my anti-virus software i need it to keep me safe is there a to have it be it wont mess with my rpg maker

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and I also gave the solution there: add RMMZ to the whitelist of the antivirus

Mato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
can i add the whole folder or do i need to go through each file

Mato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

hey i think i did it do you mean like this

Attachments

• dfhdfhdf.png
    dfhdfhdf.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 5

Mato

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
it still crashed on me i am out of ideas my pc is only a year old so it cant be the harddrive

pohutukawa

WRITER.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you streaming your work to anyone? Whenever I use any software that records what I am doing, RPG Maker tends to crash more often.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it still crashed on me i am out of ideas my pc is only a year old so it cant be the harddrive
Download the free software CrystalDiskInfo, to check your hard drives. I had a hard drive once fail pretty early on its life cycle. I'd check on it, just in case.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I haven't been on here in forever wow(missed my forum birthday T-T). Anyways, I'm dabbling in BGMs, here's something I'm actually willing to share.

Binge-watched 6 episodes of the Erased anime... And that means I've watched half of it?! Sigh...
I'm bad at base-building games (looking at other players created an aesthetically beautiful base compared to me), but IDK why I keep playing the game and seek more of it.
Pyra and Mythra in smash ultimate are way too OP. They're basically Smash 4 Bayonetta 2.0, and not in a good way. Very toxic and unfair. At least they're hot tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skybola188