dupedful

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, everybody.

I have already had experience with the rpg maker 2000, but it was several years ago. Now I wanted to start with the RPG Maker again and unfortunately I'm not sure which version I should use.

I already looked for which versions there are the most resources for, because I like to work with many resources to develop my creativity freely (I'm bad at creating my own). I noticed that there aren't as many resources for RPG Maker MV as there are for VX Ace. However, I could find the most resources for 2k3 and XP, but I would like to start with some newer RPG Maker versions.

Since I have absolutely no developer skills and don't know Java or any other programming language, I ask you to consider this in your version choice :)

I hope you can help me.

Best regards.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not entirely sure if Ace actually got more resources than MV. Granted, Ace "lifetime" is actually extended since VX era (2008) so probably that is the reason for the resource abundance. But really, I don't think I've seen enough new resources pops up for Ace, mostly new resources are optimized for MV, so that is the thing.

If you're considering more community support, go for MV since many people are more active in MV. Ace resources have a lot of broken links including assets, scripts, and I also took down my site for a personal reason (fortunately, there's script recovery thread). But popular scripters already moved on to MV, so that is the thing (as well)

If you're looking at the more stable engine, you're better off with Ace. MV has updates that may or may not break your game midway because some plugins are not compatible with the version you're using. Ace is locked and will not get an update. And also it has more technical issues than Ace, like (from what I've heard) it isn't running well in AMD processors, and other technical stuff I may not aware.

If you're looking for portability that eventually you want to port it to mobile or web, go MV. If you're only looking for a simpler engine that you only want to deploy it in Windows platform, go for Ace.

In short:
> Quick, stable, more resources(?) = Ace
> More support, updates, portability = MV

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most versions are improvements on the previous versions, only rarely some features got removed. And resources get added the longer a maker is "in use", so of course the newest maker is a bit limited there for some time.

So you can reduce your decision between four options only, and base that on the capacities. From newest the arguments are:

MV: only maker that can export to non-windows. Not only mobile, but also Linux and MacOS are supported.
Additionally it's the current "active" maker, which means it has the highest level of support.

VX Ace: Was the previous maker, still widely used and with a lot of resources. However, several scripts are starting to get lost because their programmers left the community and their websites were taken down. If you wait for a sale it will be the cheapest one (steam sales from resellers go down with up to -90% price). Windows-only. Max screen 640x480

XP: Has some of the most advanced mapping system, but that mapping takes some time to work with. Fifteen years old and limited support left

2K(3): No script support at all, but has some advanced eventing options that were replaced when script code become available. But you can't really use those options without knowing how to program a logic.

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV also supports high definition, if you care about that sort of thing. There are also some scripts written for Ace that never got ported to MV because the scripters didn't want to transition to javascript. Also, Ace has a bigger max map size (500x500), while the max map size was nerfed to (256x256) in MV (because apparently Mobile Phones don't have the processing power to handle it, go figure).

As for Ace support, there's the other site, RPG Maker Central, where there's plenty of people who still use it.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
'Introductions' are really for telling us about yourself.

I am, therefore, moving this to product Discussion and Support.

You will find a number of other threads in this section asking similar questions, and if you browse them you will get a lot of additional information.

dupedful

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But popular scripters already moved on to MV, so that is the thing (as well)
You're right. I did not consider this.

I'm gonna go with MV. Many of your answers have been very helpful and I believe that MV is also the better choice, especially when it comes to updates.

Thanks everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Guys I just want to sit around and work on my game! *gets lots and lots of money shoveled at him* Game, I don't recall a game. What game? :LZSexcite:
Seems like people have stopped looking both ways before crossing the road nowadays. Blindly walking out into a into a road only ends in disaster.
Just finished planning out the skeleton of the main quest line of my new game. I'm so excited for it!
Integrating Jason Perry's japan tile set while listening to Murray Atkinson's Heaven and Earth background music.
I forgot I had an account on rpgmakercentral lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yellowsonicboom64