Starbourne

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Heya people,

Nice to come along and try my hand at some fine game Creating, but being as old I'm wondering where to begin with the whole making process. so I'm wondering how did you all get started and any tips you could offer to this old dog.

Many thanks
Starbourne
The OLD guy

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all welcome to the community!

There are many threads about how to approach game making on the forum already. You could check them out.

For any additional information, I would encourage you to create a new thread.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well to the community!

Personally, we never used the same method twice for making a game. Sometimes we have a character idea and imagine the world they are in, other times we start with a world idea and imagine what kind of people and catastrophes might occur. Other times, we see a game mechanic we like and try to build off of that.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I learnt a lot by playing Games made by other people. So I would recommend you download a few games from here and try them out. Some Games aren't Encrypted, So you could open them through the Editor and take a peak at how other people organize, plan and make their Games, Study the Database, Maps, and Events in such games.

To begin with, I would suggest you plan your Game in a Text Document. This would include Story, Characters, Maps, Gameplay, Features etc. Then you could hunt down these resources and collect all the Characters, Battlers, Music, Animations, Tilesets, Images, Plugins etc. And then you really begin making your game once you have an idea of what kind of game you want to make ! Also feel free to look up Youtube, Lots of Tutorials all over Youtube.

Starbourne

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Cheers guys, going to look into investing some time once kids go back to school to start my learning will still have little ones running me around for a few more years yet.

I've played a few "games" from more adult side type games but I want to avoid using most of their assets. but I get that a good story is key as they're the types of games I enjoy more and tend to keep me playing longer.

I do have some story writing background and have been playing a lot of old school pen and paper RPGs and JRPGs in the early PlayStation days. Just gotta find a story worth telling I guess as don't want to be generic hero questy type.

eluukkanen

Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
N/A
You are most welcomed here! Interested to see what sort of game you end up making. Here you can get great feedback on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Making it a rule that I don't do any world building for my new game before the actual gameplay is concrete and working. I have 16 years of lore to work with anyway.
Cheesy power metal makes everything better. No matter what you do, you'll feel heroic doing it.
Starting to really like the first of my madness areas. I think the eyes looking at them really helps to sell the place. :LZSexcite:
Made idle animation for character. It first had only three frames but looked too different from walking animation and I had to draw five more.
MV and VX Ace both have good qualities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadAtticGames