Viktor47

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont get it quite yet, but start with the very basic and basic conditional branch,
you can use it to check if selfSwitch A, B, C is ON in order to do something,
otherwise, something if the selfswitch is OFF.

so try to understand them and how they work, or with variables (1 for each),
if it requires more then 3 pages for different drinks, food, or double items required.

start with 1 npc to see how it works, if it works nicely in a way you want it to be,
you can easely copy paste that event, and change items, in case you use selfswitches,
you dont have to change much, just some text and the items requirement he need.

if you want to make it more intresting, you can create a random variable,
so the item he needs (drink or food or both) are different if either a new game,
failed or succeeded to get something else, or the same, but can always be diferent.

start with the base concept, build from that to the require function you want to have.

if you do it good and correctly, you can set something up to 20 NPC's, and with timer,
so it can be very intresting mechanic for a quest, or serve 12 people within 1min.

but I dont know what you want to achieve, so puzzle around, and we can try to help.

Good luck with your project :) so dont hesitate if you need answers as long you can
provide detailed information and or screenshots/mockup so most can understand it
to help you =)
Thanks again,ShadowDragon and you are funny calling this a "project" lol.
I have no idea what i am doing yet and this is not it and probably won't be in any near future :)
I am taking yours and others advices and trying things so we will see,it shouldn't be that hard but i am just starting so even the basics can be challenging.
What i was looking and asking for is some example of how can be done,how someone would do it and of course show the mechanic,how to start. rpgLord69 was very close to it,just i can't see how he did it all that well,it's little more complex then what i want but is a start and with all of your imputs i had here i can try to figure out how to do this :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Viktor47 , please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

You don't need to quote everyone's posts to reply to them. If you want them to get a notification, just tag them like this: @Viktor47. Or use the +Quote button to select their posts (then delete the stuff you're not specifically replying to), to keep all your replies in a single post.

Viktor47

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Hey and sorry about that, i am still not sure what you mean by "double posting"?
Did i post some reply twice or you mean something else with it,lol? Also i didn't know that using quote is better way or that they are getting any notifications from my reply,honest i didn't :)
Sorry again for whatever you mean with double posting,if i knew i sure wouldn't break forum rules.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did i post some reply twice or you mean something else with it,lol?
on this board, double posting means making multiple posts one after another - it doesn't matter that their content is different, it is the same person posting at nearly the same time that matters.
and on this topic alone you made multiple triple posts.
for example posts #7, #8 and #9 are by you - that is a triple post here in this topic.
The same goes for #13, #14 and #15 or #18 and #19 are both from you.

Viktor47

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar
Hi again Andar. All i did is reply to others and since i am not on forum all the time i did reply to them as i saw it when here.
I am confused still on what "double posting" means to be honest and now it seems like i am looking needy or pushy to you guys which i never did want to be. I am sorry and i do apologize and will be quiet from now on :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As Andar explained, double posting is making two (or more) posts in a row in the same thread in a short timeframe, without anyone else posting in between.

Your post #7 was made at 1:22am today (this is the time shown to me for my time zone)
Your post #8 was made about 13 minutes later
Your post #9 was made half an hour after that

Nobody else had posted in between, so you have 3 posts in a row, all within a short timeframe.

If the last post in the thread is yours, and it is less than 48 hours old, please edit your post instead of making a new post.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
project can also mean, mini project to get something working and transfer
later to your main project =) (this is what I do).

whoever you mean or the game, you can give a link and I can see what he did.

but also keep in mind, that mechanics can have around 3-5 differents setups
and can work the same, rather you start at the bar girl/man or at the client.

if you take 1 by 1 or multiple, or when the bar gir/man say, deliver this drink
to table 2 and that drink to table 4.

there are different approach and different setups, some use variables, others
use conditional branches, other use switches, others use scriptcalls to remember
something, others create a mini plugin for the serving purpose, but each ends
up doing the same thing.

different people, different setups, some can be complex, other user friendly
and others in between.

some it depends how you want a working part, some can only be served
if 3 or more are happy, other if 2 or more are angry to give you a chance
to do it better for a "hidden" quest or reputation or something else.

even if you see it how it is done, you need to understand "what is done"
and how they are connected.

if you know how variables / switches / self switches etc are used to make it
work for the mechanic, than you are further at home.

you can also look at some other mechanics or at tutorials how variables
are used or switches or how they link to a common event.

you can learn alot, if you understand it nicely and how it works, I'm pretty sure
you can get the serving to work as well =)

mine are probably a bit to advance, but others can extend it, make it more
user friendly, or use a different way to index the position by variable and
save it in an array, so there are different approaches.

take your time, write down on paper or txt what the 1st step is, 2nd, 3rd etc,
than create step 1 and test it if it works for you, if it works smoothly, continue
to step 2, 3, etc :)

rpgLord69

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
rpgLord69 was very close to it,just i can't see how he did it all that well,it's little more complex then what i want but is a start and with all of your imputs i had here i can try to figure out how to do this :)

Basically all I used was "show text" and "show choices" event commands and 1 self switch. The whole idea was just to show that if you want to make a very simple version of this kind of event, you don't even need to create the foods as items or do anything complex. Then of course if you want to make a minigame where the whole scene changes, there are random number of guests who order random food and you want there to be other kinds of events also, then it gets more complicated.

Anyway, if your original problem was that serving one customer made other customers talk like you had already served them, then I think that means you have some common switch or variable affecting multiple customers' event pages. You need to set the switches and variables so that it only affects the customer you want.

Viktor47

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShadowDragon
Hi again and again thank you ShadowDragon.
Ok so i didn't have that much time to work on it but i did try few things from suggestions you and others gave me. I did manage to make it work somehow, serving each client separately but thats it and i am stuck with how to make it so one table is served at same time since there are on some tables 3-4 npcs.
I am expanding and working on other parts but always going back to that tavern and trying things, and it's clear i need more time and have to learn a lot.
I am using variables and self switches on other mini quests without much issues if any but tavern job is complicated for me still :)
I could give links to some games but don't know if that is ok since the game i saw similar mechanic i would like is 18+ rated.
Game name is "A New Dawn" it wouldn't be hard to find it i believe and it's also online so no download needed.(i used to love that game till dev went a bit over the moon with adding new content by taking requests from followers who were supporting him financially).

Ok edit lol:
I am not 100% sure but seems like i did finally figure it out, i am way tired to deep test it but figured like is good idea to let you or anyone who may check here know :)

Last edited:

Viktor47

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@rpgLord69
Hi again and thank you,rpgLord69 :)
As i replied to ShadowDragon,i did manage to make it all work and smoothly which was a real surprize lol.
I was complicating things and you were right,it's really simple once you know how. Who knows when and if i would have done it if wasn't for you, ShadowDragon, Andar... To be honest i wasn't listening or reading carefully what you all were suggesting so thats my bad, or maybe i did need that time out and after a break and re reading all your posts it went all easy.
Now i don't know if this is the right way, and if there are better and easier ways (probably yes), but it's working all as i did want it and thats going to push me to continue learning even more :)
I still can't wrap my head on how easy it was,lol. Trigger,self switches for single and variables for group tables is all i needed.
Thank You and Thanks Everybody!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you need some testing on your tavern, I can help you test it, maybe point
out if need it to be.

it can be done with a few selfswitches, 1 variable per table, and some
clever conditional branches, or if you want to make sure everything works,
with some switches included.

choices can be optional

Npc -> order -> bar girl/man -> deliver it
Bar girl/man -> bring drink to table x -> deliver

1st methode can be with choices (specially getting the drink you desire)
2nd methode if be gain item, bring to the correct NPC on table X.

but if you got it work in the way you wanted it too, keep up the nice work :)
you have to start somewhere at least and you can always polish the mechanic
better or smoother :)

but if you need some testing or glitching it out if possible, let me know =)

Viktor47

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ShadowDragon
Hi ShadowDragon :)
Thats exactly how i did it, one thing i did change or better say remove was conditional branches as it was to much running back and forth with so many npcs involved,so as rpgLord69 suggested i used text for that part and fading screen with run sounds thingy,lol.
I did have it as you described there with conditional branches,if have x item then ... else something...
and it did work all nicely but took a lot of running to the bar and back and show text is shorting that by a lot.
I am learning and have way more to go before i will be able to link all quests to run perfectly but with help here and your knowledge i will, eventually. I just have to listen and read/try to understand what you all are telling me and it should be easier,lol.
I have to finish that part of quests and make everything run together smoothly to know that i am on right track. For now it seems like i am doing well so fingers crossed,lol.
I also enjoy building,and that is another thing i need to do better,mapping and creating some better or unique world. Knowing myself i will never be happy with it and will try to make the areas prettier over and over again :)
Thank you for all the spot on explanations, yours and of others that made this possible and also doing so it's fun again to be working and creating in rpg.

ps. It's not that easy as they advertise to make a game,it sure is easier if you join a group like you all are, nice people who are willing to help so lurkers should join and be part of it,i know this because i was one of them :)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I re-mapped a town 4x, but others do it more often at a polishing state.
there are many good mapper, and you just map the way you like it.

polish the map can always, if it goes along with the story, they foxus on
that more than mapping, sometimes if they do a second run, they pay
attention on details, some people both.

you cannot do more what you can do, so just enjoy making it, and hope
people would play your game (good or bad), feedbacks or suggestions
from that are something you can think about to improve your game.

noone is perfect, noone knows everything :)

Good luck on your project, dont hesitate if you have questions ,
we are happy to help everyone out and learn new things.

Viktor47

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Serbian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Everybody.

First i hope it's ok to use same thread for a new question, if not sorry and let me know so i can redo it if needed :)
The tavern stuff is working well and i am doing or trying new things, learning and playing with some scripts to see what all is possible with my limited knowledge.
So i was trying some of Moghunter's scripts, they are making the game so much more alive or that's what i was trying to implement. There is one called "picture effects" and i am having a hard time figuring it out, it adds some animations to the picture, the ones i am interested in are eye blink and breathing. The script itself don't need a setup from what i saw and is all run by commands call in the eventing pages. There is a "help" in the script but is in Portuguese and the part i need for blinking effect isn't even explained as i used google translate and there is no mention of it but it is there from his/hers tweeter page.
I made the breathing effect work partially, still need to figure out how to have it for all the show pictures on same event as it cuts and stops when a new picture replace the old one, i also did make blinking effect but using simple show picture/wait/put blink picture over the first one and i was hoping the mogunter's plugin can do them more smoothly in transition and the blinking/breathing would be automatic every time the script is called.
This is the download page for it but it comes in a package with all the rest of Moghunter's plugins so not sure if thats any help: https://mogplugins.wordpress.com/rpg-maker-mv/
I am more hoping some of you do actually use them and could help me figuring out how they work.
Also the demo that shows his plugins on download from that page is not working, i mean the effects for blinking are not showing even in Mohunter's demo which is really weird, must be on my end or why would anyone make a demo to show their plugins with something that doesn't work?
If there is another plugin that add same things i need i am not aware so please let me know and i may try use that if can't make Moghunter's one work.

Thank you All who reads and try helping :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hi, I'm a new and upcoming Indie Developer, and I could really use some help when it comes to system programming. Explorers can only go so far before needing a map, you know?
I made a comic strip with the characters of my game.Flor en la cola eng.jpg
Hey, what does it mean in settings, privacy, where it says allow users to: view your identities??????????
I have returned yet again. No reason for my hiatus; just got distracted by video games and stuff. I figured out how to make a bootleg Ys 1 Battle system using in engine scripting (The only plugin enabled is the HUD thing).
Unfortunately I have no idea how to program but-stabbing as a crit without it being even more complicated to program so this is it.

Kickstarter successful!! I'm gonna have a Hot GameDev Summer in the trenches!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francocado