Gabbypie64

Aster World Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How hard would it be to program cooking style mini games(like cooking mama style)) for rm-mv(Coding noob here)

Drakkonis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you're wanting it fully coded, probably hard as hell. Not only do you need to know sufficient JavaScript, but you also need to know how MV does what it does for the parts you need, like scenes, windows, and sprites.

I'm a decent programmer, though I still rate myself as an amateur that stumbles around until the answer magically appears, but I've only recently started working on making my own scenes/windows for my own interfaces... and getting it to work is like pulling teeth. A lot of that is due to the lack of any real tutorial that walks through the stuff you need, so my work is mostly trial and error. LOTS of error. lol

Without good coding skills, or a dedicated plugin by someone WITH those good coding skills, most people try to get what they need done via eventing. Which means either a lot of complicated events, or very (comparatively) simplistic minigames. Depending on skill/dedication.

I should note though, JavaScript isn't all that hard to learn. I've picked it up rather easily. I started with previous knowledge in another coding language, but that's beside the point, as I practically had to forget what I knew and relearn it, the languages were that different. The hard part, for me, anyway, is learning how to get stuff to work properly with the engine itself.

Though I am working on something that would allow people to make custom scenes with little coding knowledge required, just lots of poking around in plugin parameters. Its still in its very early stages, but current results are promising. Not sure how compatible it is with MV though, it's being written for MZ and I haven't tested any of it with my RETRO project yet. I don't anticipate much incompatibility though.

Keep that hush-hush, I've generally avoided hinting that something like that is even in the works. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
An amateur hobbyist javascript coder here, take my words with grain of salt.

I agree with what Drakkonis said. Learning JavaScript itself is not that hard, the harder thing is to figure out how the engine works. RM is built on top PIXI library, and the way RM is written in JavaScript is by using prototypical inheritance. You need to at least understand that, if you want to try to code a larger feature in RM.

For cooking mama minigame, you'll probably want to learn about Window, Sprite, mouse interaction, Scene, and maybe Button object. If youre not familiar with that, try opening your js folder on your project. Or read those here: RPG MAKER CORESCRIPT .

I suggest a smaller scope though, maybe try coding a cooking scene with QTE like in Genshin Impact? Can try to peek on crafting plugin to see how it works, and add a QTE.

Gabbypie64

Aster World Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like was thinking one mini game idea click in thease areas before time runs out,do a swirling movement to keep the potion from burning, click botton in a simmon says order,ect

An amateur hobbyist javascript coder here, take my words with grain of salt.

I agree with what Drakkonis said. Learning JavaScript itself is not that hard, the harder thing is to figure out how the engine works. RM is built on top PIXI library, and the way RM is written in JavaScript is by using prototypical inheritance. You need to at least understand that, if you want to try to code a larger feature in RM.

For cooking mama minigame, you'll probably want to learn about Window, Sprite, mouse interaction, Scene, and maybe Button object. If youre not familiar with that, try opening your js folder on your project. Or read those here: RPG MAKER CORESCRIPT .

I suggest a smaller scope though, maybe try coding a cooking scene with QTE like in Genshin Impact? Can try to peek on crafting plugin to see how it works, and add a QTE.
How do I set up a qte?

Drakkonis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Like was thinking one mini game idea click in thease areas before time runs out,do a swirling movement to keep the potion from burning, click botton in a simmon says order,ect
I imagine the movement part would be PARTICULARLY tricky. The other two are simple, from a logic standpoint. Just timers, variables, switches, and pictures. Theoretically the mouse movement is doable if it doesn't care about shape, only that it's a swirling motion and inside the area it's meant to be in.

How do I set up a qte?
I've never set one up, but I would imagine it would be something like show picture, set a timer, remove the picture when the timer's done. If a button isn't pressed by the time the timer is over, fail. Otherwise proceed to the next action, be it another QTE press or something else.

Doable in events? MAYBE. I'm not well-versed in complicated eventing setups, preferring code where possible, but I know people have done some impressive stuff with event commands alone. Saw some wicked ideas done in 2k3 back in the day, and you CAN'T do script or plugins in 2k3, so eventing was all you had.

The only question mark for an event-only setup for this is whether or not you can easily listen for button presses while in the event or while the timer's running. I've not messed with it, myself.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How hard would it be to program cooking style mini games
the key to understand programming is to understand logic structures. If you understand logic easy, then learning programming is easy.
If you don't understand logic structures, then no amount of learning programming languages will ever help - and yes, there are a lot of people who know programming languages and pretend to be programmers that don't really understand what they are doing.

That said, there is no need to learn javascript to make minigames.
In fact, a lot of the minigames in the various games are done by eventing, not by javascript.
OK, fancy games may need javascript plugins, but a lot of games can be done without.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you want a decent cooking with point and click,
you can use a mouse cursor plugin that detects picture location
or use it with ConditionalBranch+ and set 9-12 images with x, y coordinates,

with Galv_VariableBar you can create a timer the player has.

with a variable input check you can create recipes on the clicked images
depending what you create for cooking in a simple way.

my Ocarina of Time has a part that read the index and value,
so you can create with the setup if you understand the index and value,
create simple cooking recipes to make.

if varID matched the cooking order to make, you gain the item, otherwise
you lose the item and nothing happens.

so a plugin wouldn't be required.

the setup for the recipes might use 1 common events, 2 variables
for the index and input and 1 for each recipe.

the rest can be done with images and variables for checks.

ZoeTornado

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think it's doable. The trick will be breaking down your idea into it's smaller components (potion game needs the images, the input, the controls, etc), then learn about how those particular things are treated in the engine. I recommend using a program like VSCode which will allow you to search the existing code in your project file with specific phrases which will help you find where things are.

Writing code for RMMZ/MV is a Tale of Two Codes: 1. your code, 2. the engines code. Both of these things need to intermingle most of the time, and there are many things which are already in the core system, or handled in a specific way that is integrated with other systems that you will encounter, and for the most part I've found it's actually far easier to utilize most of the pre-existing classes and maybe tweak them for my specific code rather than reinvent the wheel.

That said, I'm not a "good coder", I legit just self-taught myself by watching some youtube videos and like 1 semester of computer science 15 years ago and by reading existing code. I highly recommend watching a youtube series about how javascript works when it comes to "prototype" and "inheritance" as this is used constantly in MZ/MV and javascript is a little different than most other languages in how this is implemented since OOP is a structure that is emulated in MZ/MV but acts differently in JS than things like python or C# or other compiled languages. I wish I could remember the name of the vids I watched but i only watched like 2 or 3 lectures and it was tremendously helpful.

You can do it! Don't be intimidated, but understand it'll take some time to learn the ropes. If you have a good vision of what you want, it will help you focus your learning around that goal so it's not so intimidating. And don't be afraid to read existing code to learn how it actually works. Usually, to keep from being overwhelming, I only read code from systems that I suspect or know I will be interacting with for whatever plugin or issue I'm trying to fix. Over time you get familiar with the structure overall a piece at a time. Theres also some good articles on this site regarding the existing code.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SpaceBot wrote on DoctorMolotov's profile.
I miss you :kaocry:
I have game ideas, but none of them would fit the theme for IGMC. XD
Why the heck do I keep comparing my games to ones made by huge companies? I'd love them to have that level of polish but I'm simply not good enough.
Hell of a day at the London Games Market! :D

1656892272017.png

Check out my haul!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
my_birthday1205