Hi, Need help animating gifs in Photoshop!

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
So all right, here's the topo.

I am now animating a walking version of the Demon from the $BigMonster_2 spritesheet.  A couples days ago I tried in my CS4 Extended to do what I usually do to make an animated .gif in order to show/have the right idea of it walking! 3 Frames, how hard could it be when I used to do way more complicated than that?

So I decompose my sheet in 3 layers, align the said layers, crop to frame only one of them (aligned with all others) and hit the animation panel.  I do one quarter of second per pose each layers, save in .gif and I know better since I'm on Windows 7 to NOT preview in the image viewer by now.  I post it directly in my art private art gallery on Steam to have someone trusty commenting it and...  Contrary to my playback; NO MOVEMENT.  Static image.

Naturally I'm p***ed, and I can't see it otherwise than static from opening it directly on my computer as a html in a browser (usually it works with all animated .gifs).

I mentally growl and toss the .gif in the garbage!  Except, today I thought I might had lost my hand due to old age.  X( So I go browsing trough my old work from when I was on Photoshop6 and find out that all my .mpg and .ace file extensions aren't recognized by my new Windows (it starts well and I'm panicking even if I guess the .mpgs are just a question of getting Quicktime and maybe Ace was a compression program different from my actual one.)  Then I find various cuties that even work on my Deviant art and also in my browser from my own computer when I am off-line.

I then decide to LOOK into the old .PSDs (As I always save optimized so I won't ever be bothered one or the other versions ever contradict the other or someone else version).  My old .PSDs of those ultra complicated animations seems to have no data saved on their animation windows/menus.  Naturally I think I gonna cry and I am just an elderly fossil and all the heavy duty jobs that I've done in the past will disappear like theses Beta recordings, 35mm, Amiga files of my past, but...  I realize, things aren't supposed to be that way and that I've seen many animated .gifs around and someone of you might help.

I mean, I don't think I made anything different... I just think something got wrong somewhere.  :X

Help?  Please?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Once you have it all set up in photoshop you need to export it as a gif, not just save it.  Photoshop is dumb, if you don't export it, it won't animate it.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Ack! I lacked just one step then.

True now I remember the export part.

Thank-you Sharm. It was so stupid! just one tiny bitsy detail. ^^;

Not making a pun over my work there but it is said the devil is in the details.--->I'm making the Demon from $BigMonsters_2 spritesheet to make it walk! (What else could go wrong?)

As for the animation parameters of the previous Photoshop6 animated .gifs I just hope it is a question of hitting an Import.

(I hate getting old! Seriously... I know I used to do that with paper, and painting celluloid with Cellvinyl over a flat school table with a hole for the Plexiglas and the 100W bulb under it wearing mickey mouse gloves with index and thumbs cutted out that got recorded under a 35mm camera. But to get all Alzheimerish on an animated.gif procedure... err next thing I won't remember my phone num... Oh nevermind; it happened a bit too! LOL)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Don't worry about it, I had the same problem at one point, there as a lot of frustration and lots of saving attempts before I figured it out.  At one point I was even exporting everything to GIMP because I just couldn't figure it out.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
It must be the whole shifting back and forth RPGMaker Vx Ace (I try to scroll the landscape like in photoshop in there *facepalms*), Game Character Hub (that I still have some itches with it that are too specific for answers XD), and Photoshop!

I gonna drive nuts the day I plan to do a FULL DLC.

And we also have to account in fatigue when we REALLY like what we are doing and forget to sleep or eat sometimes. (That's my cats that usually decide to make me the reminders. ^^ )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"stats" in game term is short for "statistic", yet people keep referring it as "status".... =_=
i watched the sonic movie it was pretty good i hope they make a sequel
tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alomoes