Hi! RPGM newbie here. Excited to make some games!

GMDev997

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all! I'm GM and I've been doing game dev on and off for a few years now. I got interested in using RPGM after building a short RPGM-like game from scratch. Midway through development, I realized it would have been much nicer to just use an engine specialized for the type of game I wanted rather than reinvent the wheel, that way I could get out of the code and focus on the actual design process. That said, I know that RPGM(MV) isn't a perfect engine; the abundance of plugins speaks to that. But I don't want to forego programming entirely anyway, so I look forward to figuring out and developing my own plugins, when needed.

I've started to dive into the engine a bit and, following SRDude's tutorials, put together a small map with some simple characters whose designs I've surprisingly grown to love (the character generator is a lifesaver!). I'll attach it here:
School Map Full.png
MyPeople.png

I like the map for the most part, even though it's not the best. I found it hard with the given RTP to make an interesting school environment, so some of it looks a bit bland, especially the vertical hallway (oh, why do they have so few side-view assets?). If anyone has any tips or advice when it comes to mapping I'm all ears!

Thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to making games with RPG Maker!

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there! Welcome to the community. It's always nice to see someone so enthusiastic and passionate. :)

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welcome and I'm glad you're having fun! Finding what's where in here can be a lot to take in at first but the people (including admins) have been amazing. I've been using RPG Maker since coronavirus shutdown (actually bought in 2018 but mostly sat on computer) and still feel like a kid at Christmas when I discover something new.

Thanks for giving us a shout and, again, welcome. :kaohi:

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you can use Photoshop proficiently, it will not be difficult for you to make a beautiful map!:biggrin:

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!
The number of "plugins" shouldn't be mistaked for something else but engine flexibility. Or Unity will be the most failed thing in the universe XD.

You want to make better maps? Don't try to go for actual room size - avoid too much void space. They are just conceptual representation, not D&D meter by meter rooms :)
For your classroom on the lower right side, remove one column of desks. move them a bit onward from the lower wall, reduce the room size by 3 or 4 squares on side (what that side desk?! Goodbye!), and add light effects from the rightmost wall for some depth hinting windows.
I'll also use some wood tile for the lower part of the north wall.

That corridor can be large as 5 tiles alone and go straight for just a bit, the doors doesn't needed to actually aling to other doors!

More symbolic, more idealized, more compact...
Good luck!

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welcome to the forums! :kaohi:

GMDev997

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, thanks for the welcome everyone! Nice surprise after waking up from a nap haha.
and add light effects from the rightmost wall for some depth hinting windows.
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure certain things like matching the doors one-to-one are common rookie mistakes. I like what you say about them being more conceptual/symbolic, makes sense to me! Although what do you mean by adding light effects? Not sure how I would do that. Parallaxing?

Fantasmi_Gammes

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi and welcome to this community!!!

CosmicMagician

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure certain things like matching the doors one-to-one are common rookie mistakes. I like what you say about them being more conceptual/symbolic, makes sense to me! Although what do you mean by adding light effects? Not sure how I would do that. Parallaxing?
As far I as know, parallaxing is used for maps and backgrounds/empty space.
What you want to use for lighting effects is pictures! Overlay a pretty looking light over the entire screen ( or the player's coordinates to achieve a "lantern" effect )

I recommend checking out Echo607's RPG Maker MV Tutorials!

Lighting Effects For Entire Screen:

Lighting Effects For Player:

And welcome to the community by the way!!!

GMDev997

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far I as know, parallaxing is used for maps and backgrounds/empty space.
What you want to use for lighting effects is pictures! Overlay a pretty looking light over the entire screen ( or the player's coordinates to achieve a "lantern" effect )

I recommend checking out Echo607's RPG Maker MV Tutorials!

Lighting Effects For Entire Screen:

Lighting Effects For Player:

And welcome to the community by the way!!!
Thanks! I've come across Echo's tutorials before, love her style. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

TMW the air quality is so bad, your hair changes color every time you wash it. :LZYyuck:
Finished two animations today. :kaojoy:
Sigony wrote on Ksi's profile.
Just wanna say that I love your videos.
When are you fighting Floyd Mayweather?
A game is a lot like pasta.
Pasta is technically edible after a few minutes of boiling, if a bit chewy, not very nice.
If you cook it with patience, perhaps with some oil, at a rolling boil in salted water, drain it and add a nice sauce with some roasted vegetables, and present it on a beautiful plate, with beautiful cutlery on a beautiful table in a beautiful restaurant with beautiful sounds and scents; VERY NICE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartanbuddy