Hi There ^_^

What do you think of my game's plot?

• It'll never work.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You think you're so deep, don't you?

• It could work...if it's pulled off just right.

• Sounds interesting, I want to see what you'll do with it.

• OMG, I need this game!

• It should just be about killing a Dark Lord and getting a boyfriend/girlfriend.

• Yawn. Another one of these...

• Total voters

LycanDiva

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, you can call me LycanDiva. I'm new to RPG Maker MV, but I own and have used the old PS1 version (yes, for those who didn't know, there are two RPG Maker console versions: one for PS1 and one for PS2). I'm an artist and writer by trade, with two independently published novels under my belt. I love oldschool JRPG's (of course), animation (American, Japanese, etc.), comics (American, Japanese, etc.), writing, making art, paleontology, sci-fi, and fantasy.

I've been meaning to get a PC version of RPG Maker for a while, and when I saw MV on sale on Steam I pounced like my cat on a mini-marshmallow (he played with one like a cat toy for a good 10 minutes, then devoured the thing...I have weird cats). I eventually want to make a prototype of a Pokemon-like game I've been planning for a while. However, for now I'm working on a practice game. I've been having fun building maps and writing NPC dialogue (I'm a huge fan of Working Designs' localization work on the PS1 Lunar remakes, so you can expect to see plenty of humor injected into the random NPC dialogue in my work), and I'm slowly getting my barrings straight with the software.

So, what's the plot of my practice game? Basically, an 18-year-old human priestess on a pilgrimage to see and understand the world, two 19-year-old mercenaries (one demon and one werewolf) just trying to get by, and a 20-year-old bogie mage with a serious attitude problem travel the world and deal with a greedy world-dominating empire, systemic racism, and the struggle to find your place and live a happy life in a world where everything is already owned by someone else and hope for the future and big dreams are routinely crapped on by those in power and those whose souls have already been crushed by the system. Well, yeah, all of those themes will be framed in a typical fantasy narrative, and there won't be some sulky downer ending (I hate those) or humorless characters with no real personality ("message" stories in serious literature tend to have those kinds of characters as protagonists, and they suck). No. I'm telling a story that actually has a meaningful message, but is also fun and entertaining, and full of humor and soul and life.

Well, that's the intro. When I finally get the story arc for the first continent finished, I'll be sharing the game online...but it'll be a while. Thanks for reading, and happy game making.

AmieLK

Tired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Three (very loud) cheers for there not being a sulky downer ending! I can't wait to see your work!

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pixie of the Emvee kingdom says hello :kaohi:

In regards to your story, it might work... And it might not. My biggest problem with the story is, it is dominated by a big empire. Which has historically been proven not only to be inefficient, but also outright impossible. Roman empire, built on strong Romans and discipline, had large economic problems, because stuff was cheap. It also had army morale problems as time passed, because they had to rely more and more on foreign cultures. Not to mention, at the borders there were constant revolts, forcing Roman army to spread out. Over time it has become so multicultural that the discipline fell rapidly and regular conscripted soldiers were to be replaced by mercenaries in some places.
Another example: Macedonia. A great empire, which completely crumbled the moment Alexander died. Middle-Eastern arabs were in constant struggles for power. During Christian crusades Saladin had a much greater army than Lionheart, but in the end he could only use a small portion of it and had to fight using scorched earth tactics, because the constant power struggles left him significantly weakened.
Hitler during WWII had huge problems. What kind of problems?
Logistical problems. Thanks to British naval blockade and extensive military spending, since 1943 Germany didn't have enough supplies to keep even their own population fed, let alone the army, despite controlling vast areas in Europe.
Long story short, even if you can destroy everyone individually, you never have the military power to dominate the entire world. Even nowadays with military arsenal beyond our imagination (and vast reserves of weapons of mass destruction) there's not a single one nation that dominates the entire world.

OmnislashXX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey. Welcome to RPGMaker land. This place is awesome for developers and such. You will be right at home, here.

Your story sounds promising. Good luck. My sample game turned into one big project.

Oh, and if you want some tutorials, head over to YouTube and start on SumRndDude`s How To series. They might help.

LycanDiva

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pixie of the Emvee kingdom says hello :kaohi:

In regards to your story, it might work... And it might not. My biggest problem with the story is, it is dominated by a big empire. Which has historically been proven not only to be inefficient, but also outright impossible. Roman empire, built on strong Romans and discipline, had large economic problems, because stuff was cheap. It also had army morale problems as time passed, because they had to rely more and more on foreign cultures. Not to mention, at the borders there were constant revolts, forcing Roman army to spread out. Over time it has become so multicultural that the discipline fell rapidly and regular conscripted soldiers were to be replaced by mercenaries in some places.
Another example: Macedonia. A great empire, which completely crumbled the moment Alexander died. Middle-Eastern arabs were in constant struggles for power. During Christian crusades Saladin had a much greater army than Lionheart, but in the end he could only use a small portion of it and had to fight using scorched earth tactics, because the constant power struggles left him significantly weakened.
Hitler during WWII had huge problems. What kind of problems?
Logistical problems. Thanks to British naval blockade and extensive military spending, since 1943 Germany didn't have enough supplies to keep even their own population fed, let alone the army, despite controlling vast areas in Europe.
Long story short, even if you can destroy everyone individually, you never have the military power to dominate the entire world. Even nowadays with military arsenal beyond our imagination (and vast reserves of weapons of mass destruction) there's not a single one nation that dominates the entire world.
Those are all great examples, and the Empire will definitely be dealing with a lot of these sorts of problems in the story, as I see them as just hitting that point of over-expansion (they don't rule the whole world yet, but they have absorbed a lot of other kingdoms). Their foundation is just starting to crack under the weight years of rabid expansionism and constant wars, lots of provinces (formerly independent kingdoms) are in some stage of rebellion, and civil unrest over the systemic mistreatment and exclusion of non-humans is coming to a head. Plus, all the war and unrest is breaking the elemental balance of the world and monster populations are at an all-time high, which is just making things even crazier...all while the nobility and military elite swear up and down that the Empire will never collapse so long as they're good to the clergy and never allow sacred sites to be harmed (they think kissing up to the gods will let them do anything they want without consequence...it won't).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh man the controls in Mario Sunshine are pretty awful and I haven't even witnessed the controls without FLUDD
Lots of cool changes for Battle Castle in the works! Not just reworked dialogue, but gameplay, combat, and possibly lore changes to make things weightier.
Actor2_2 added!

I started really going in on my project April of last year... I'm just now making starting the actual game... making assets (and not even all of them), whoooo... TIME SINK.

Imagine being a pleb and using --------------------.js :LZSwink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylion_Shadowwolf