Hidden Passages -- Are they possible in MV?

Prizm Daystar

Social Butt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I am frustrated at the efforts that I've taken so far leading to the same result even with slightly different methods in the event structures for this.

I'm trying to make hidden passages for a dungeon.  Normally -- or rather for most everyone else who knows how -- this would be totes possible, but for some reason, my attempts to do it are hating me so hard. 

I've even looked at the only guides that I can find that bear the slightest facsimile to MV -- VX Ace tutorials.  Using event commands that technically exist mutually across all engines shouldn't be a problem, right?

Why is the answer: WRONG -- WRONG -- WRONG?!

I did everything as it's supposed to be done, as far as I have seen and as far as I know.  The result is the same:  no hidden passage.  It remains a wall.  I don't know what to do. 

There is no information on MV, only on VX Ace, and that's why I didn't want to look there even though I ultimately did.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
um ... we can't do much to help you unless you tell us what you've done. You've taken so much effort to vent your frustration, but you haven't told us anything at all about what approaches you've taken, what tutorials you've followed, what modifications you've tried when it didn't work. We don't have crystal balls or magic mirrors, so we need information from you before we can tell you where things might have gone wrong.

MV's event commands and tileset flags are pretty much the same as Ace's, so if you have a tutorial that works for Ace, you should need to do exactly the same thing for MV, and it should just work. Which makes me think that you've either done it wrong - missed some little thing like a passage setting or something - or that your method uses script calls, which would need to be modified for MV.

Last edited by a moderator:

ksart

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
i would suggest using yanfly's region restriction plugin and use the player allow region to create the hidden path you want.

Prizm Daystar

Social Butt
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
um ... we can't do much to help you unless you tell us what you've done. You've taken so much effort to vent your frustration, but you haven't told us anything at all about what approaches you've taken, what tutorials you've followed, what modifications you've tried when it didn't work. We don't have crystal balls or magic mirrors, so we need information from you before we can tell you where things might have gone wrong.

MV's event commands and tileset flags are pretty much the same as Ace's, so if you have a tutorial that works for Ace, you should need to do exactly the same thing for MV, and it should just work. Which makes me think that you've either done it wrong - missed some little thing like a passage setting or something - or that your method uses script calls, which would need to be modified for MV.
Hang on,  and let me get all this together then.  The tutorial that I found was a video one that simply used event commands and tileset flags, and that's what I tried doing with it.

Here's an image of what I've tried to do to make the passage.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqoHsSNm18HOFV3d3JjLWh0ZE0/view?usp=sharing

The tutorial link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_rTNVkJCRM

I admit, I didn't use Transparent ON in the Move Route command, but that's because Transparent only hides the event or player that the Move Route is targeting, and it wasn't exactly necessary to use.  Through ON, however, should be working, and it isn't.  I should be a bit more arsed to record what it's doing instead of what it should be doing, and yet my impatience at this mess has me in a relatively bad mood.

EDIT:  I think I see where the problem is, and I'm going to try what I just spotted.

DOUBLE EDIT, With Solution:  Apparently the event itself wasn't wrong, but the event's triggers were.  I didn't have the priority set to Same as Characters or the trigger to Player Touch.  And here I was getting angry and scratching my head over this mess since yesterday evening.

Tsaiuki North

Eyes Of Thirteen
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well i can tell you right off that your passage event is on below character, which means it can't be activated unless the character is standing right ontop of it (which can't be done, since you have an unpassable tile underneith it) You'll need to change that to same as character. That should let you activate it from above, instead of being required to be ontop of it.

pincaviglia86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I looked at your picture. You do not need down, down, etc. just through on(on the player)...walk through to the other side...put another event on other side turning through off. done.

if you want more realistic "walk through walls" effect...put dungeon a4 in your "d" slot and make the parts of the wall with events that all have through on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.
Blech. I hate coming up with stories. Making gameplay is fun but coming up with lore and reasons for these areas/mechanics just makes me sleepy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YukiYuki