Hidden timer but only once?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Klaykrow, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Klaykrow

Klaykrow masochistfox Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Alright so I'm trying to put a timer in an area where if you hang around too long, you die, but I don't want the time visible in the corner.

However, the next part also has a similar event with a timer, but I need it visible there for suspense.

Everything I've found makes the timer invisible indefinitely and was wondering if there's some sort of script or call I could use for this one part.

Thank you.

2. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Wait commands and a variable in a paralell process perhaps?

3. Klaykrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    i think a wait command would'nt stop the timer meter from showing up, just delay it?
    the timer is already set on parallel process

4. AdamSakuru

AdamSakuru [Null_Value] Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Check this out. You can make an invisible timer by using the a variable combined with a wait command inside of a parallel process.

Something like this:
    >Set Variable#1 to 30

and then in the parallel process:
    >Wait command: 40 frames
    >Subtract 1 from Var#1

Effectively you make stuff happen when the "timer" [Variable] hits 0. You can make it as fast or as slow as you want. And since it doesn't use the real timer, it's invisible.

5. Klaykrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not really sure how to go about setting this up. I tried to mess around with the variables, but I can't get it to work

I'm sorry, I'm still rather new to a lot of this, I got my first game done with dumb luck tbh.

I think I might just have to deal with having a visible timer cause im an idiot :/

6. AdamSakuru

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Here, I'll show you.

Edit:
    Elsewhere you would set the Timer Variable to be above 1. This triggers the event. Every 20 frames, it lowers the variable by 1 unless the variable is reached zero.

Attached Files:

7. Klaykrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    hmm, im trying to follow this, but your event page looks very different from mine? are you using VX Ace?

I can't figure out how to put "If" anywhere, just conditional branch.

Im sorry for being difficult @_@

8. AdamSakuru

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh, snap, I didn't realize this was for Ace.

When you make a conditional branch, setting the condition IS the "if". The conditional branch checks the condition. In this case, choose the variable you set for the timer, and then set the number you want to check it to.

The symbol dictates the math you want to check.
    = checks if the variable is equal to the number you set. > checks if the variable is LARGER THAN the number you set (< checks for SMALLER THAN), etc.

9. Klaykrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ah i tried this out and now it just activates the event without the loop counting anything down

I'm not sure if it's because I need the "timer" to be activated by a control switch you step on, so it's not activating things right? I provided pics of how I have it set up

Attached Files:

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Don't use a loop within a parallel process event. Parallel processes (and autoruns) loop by default.

AdamSakuru likes this.
  11. Klaykrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ah the event adamsakuru showed had it set to parallel so i just did what they showed

does anyone know if there's just a script I can use with a normal timer that i can just make it invisible for this single part? that would be the easiest thing I can think of, but I can't find a script like that for some reason.

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I didn't say not to set it to parallel process. I said not to use a loop within a parallel process, because they already loop.

You have your condition around the wrong way. You're comparing it for <= 0, but it's never going to get there, because you're never reducing it. Change it to > 0.

You can get rid of the loop & break loop statements, as the parallel process event will already loop. Instead of the break loop, turn on a switch, or go to the gameover screen.

13. Klaykrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    yeah i just straight up don't understand how to get this to work, so i guess im going to give up on it and put a visible timer :/

if anyone sees this thread and knows of a way to just hide the vanilla timer once, i'd love to hear it.

14. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You almost had it right. Event 92 with the loop is what Shaz was talking about. take the loop out and change the condition to > 0

15. AdamSakuru

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Don't give up on figuring this out. I know it seems complicated but once you start getting the hang of stuff like this, you can do some really cool things with eventing in RPG Maker.

16. Klaykrow

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    everytime i try to do this, the moment the switch gets turned on it just immediately goes to the game over scene without a timer at all :/
    im a visual learner sadly, so i doubt i will be able to figure this out with text alone.
    thank you guys anyway though, sorry.

17. Roninator2

Roninator2 Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I disagree that your a visual learner. If that were the case then you would have figured it out just by looking at your own pictures.

The instructions provided by shaz and clarified more by me are quite easy.

Either make the second condition > 0 or take it out.
    I also do not see where you are setting the timer. That has to be done before you turn the switches on.
    333333.png