Hide skilltypes until the actor has learned any skills.

PathosFear

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, I have a problem. I want either a way to let a character permanently use a certain skill type (Art, Magic, Tecnique etc.) from an event, basically walking up to a npc and asking for lessons, or, a way to hide the skill type from menues until the character has learned a skill from that category.

The way I have it set up now is that the main actor has access to all skill categories, but they are all empty until she's learned skills from leveling up or from a teacher. It looks strange in the menus. So I either want to have empty skill types hidden, or a way to add skilltypes from an event call.

So far I'm having no luck with the standard event editor, or I'm just blind. Could there be a plugin that lets you do this?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't know off the top of my head but I'll jot it down as an idea for a future plugin to write.

KingKraken

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How complex are the ways to aquire skills? If there aren't too many ways to get skills, you cold just prompt the event(or through conditional branch), or if it's through items, to add skill types before it gives the skill?

PathosFear

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
How complex are the ways to aquire skills? If there aren't too many ways to get skills, you cold just prompt the event(or through conditional branch), or if it's through items, to add skill types before it gives the skill?

Oh, it's not giving skills. That's straight forward enough. It's adding skill types (Magic, Art, Techniques) to a class in-game. Say. if you have a generic "Adventurer" class, and then you can customize it by learning various skill types, skills, parameter boosts etc.

Last edited:

KingKraken

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, it's not giving skills. That's straight forward enough. It's adding skill types (Magic, Art, Techniques) to a class. Say. if you have a generic "Adventurer" class, and then you can customize it by learning various skill types, skills, parameter boosts etc.
That's what I mean though. Don't add the skill type to the actor until a situation where the actor receives a skill of that type. Say for instance, you make the adventurer class. They don't learn any Exploration Skills until level 5. So at level 5, you'd use a conditional branch to to check their class, check their level(or class level if your using Yanfly's job core or something) and if so, then it would first give them the skill type and then give them the skill.

That way, you could prevent having the skill type added, until the first skill is delivered and the player will be none-the wiser. So if skills are gained in pretty consistent ways, you can easily monitor the acquisition of actual skill types by adding them, along with the first skills in a skill tree.

PathosFear

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's what I mean though. Don't add the skill type to the actor until a situation where the actor receives a skill of that type. Say for instance, you make the adventurer class. They don't learn any Exploration Skills until level 5. So at level 5, you'd use a conditional branch to to check their class, check their level(or class level if your using Yanfly's job core or something) and if so, then it would first give them the skill type and then give them the skill.

That way, you could prevent having the skill type added, until the first skill is delivered and the player will be none-the wiser. So if skills are gained in pretty consistent ways, you can easily monitor the acquisition of actual skill types by adding them, along with the first skills in a skill tree.

What event command would you use to add a skilltype? For as far as I can see, there's no way to add skill types from an event. And adding a skill that the class does not have (ie, giving fire to a warrior) does not add the required skill type, so the warrior still wont be able to use magic, specifically, the fire spell.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You'll need a plug-in for this. I had to get one commissioned for ACE to do this feature for this very reason. Maybe someone cna write one for you for MV?

Moved to Plug-In Requests

Llareian

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can do this by creating a STATE that will give the actor the skill type. However, the state would be removable by death and full restore. So you'd need to use a plugin to get around this part.

Fortunately, Yanfly's Buffs & States Core with Yanfly's State Categories allows you to set a state to bypass both of these things with the state notetags:
<Category: Bypass Death Removal>
<Category: Bypass Recover All Removal>

Edit: @LeeAceSan that's a great plugin, but unfortunately it only affects the battle menu, not the skills menu. It's too bad though, it would have been perfect if it had done both!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2021? I still wonder if people still doing MV than MZ more
Seeing a lot more active Ace topics recently, is it making a comeback? :o
0-7, left-to-right, top-to-bottom
As soon as I'm able to get out of bed I'm probably gonna go so hyper from being too cooped up, and burn myself out into another awful flare. lol
It makes me feel proud whenever an RM game does well. Even though I had nothing to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krunga