FruityRPG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all!

I have an animation that I intend to have cover the entire screen, only the cell size is 192x192. If I scale the image 435% it covers the whole screen but then it becomes rather blurry and pixelated and does not look good. Is this something I have to deal with in MV or is there a way to change the cell scale or upscale the animation. Thanks!

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do you have the original image? If it's 192x192, then...pixels are pixels. There's no way to make it larger and be magically guaranteed it will look good.

You can try by scaling it up by a better amount. 435% is really funky; using evenly divisible multiples will generally give a better result. Depending on what image editor you're using, you can also play with the different modes of interpolation and see which version you like best.

FruityRPG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How do you have the original image? If it's 192x192, then...pixels are pixels. There's no way to make it larger and be magically guaranteed it will look good.

You can try by scaling it up by a better amount. 435% is really funky; using evenly divisible multiples will generally give a better result. Depending on what image editor you're using, you can also play with the different modes of interpolation and see which version you like best.
The original image is a sprite sheet with each cell being 192 by 192. As for the image editor I am currently using Gimp. Is it possible for me to make an animation that has images with a resolution higher than 192x192? When I tried that it created multiple additional cells, and I am assuming I would need to stitch those together in order to make it work.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Is it possible for me to make an animation that has images with a resolution higher than 192x192?

I have made this for you.. it breaks the limit of the cell size.

1664494399142.png
[v0.50] CTB_AnimationCellSizeMV Plugin: Click Here to Download

Use wisely though, since image files that are too large might cause load issues.
That said so far I've tested with a cell that is 1600x1600 (file is 8000x8000) and it still works nicely :cutesmile:

The major thing right now is that you need to still use a standard image file of 192x192 cell size when making the animation with the editor.

So use the standard image file to make the animation then rename whatever file that uses bigger cells to the same filename that was used to create the animation.

I am working on the next version right now, I will make it load a separate image file with a unique filename setup to avoid having to do the renaming process ;)

For now this does the trick though. Test it out to see how it goes.
I'm going to add a few other things to this plugin soon too.

Last edited:

FruityRPG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have made this for you.. it breaks the limit of the cell size.

[v0.50] CTB_AnimationCellSizeMV Plugin: Click Here to Download

Use wisely though, since image files that are too large might cause load issues.
That said so far I've tested with a cell that is 1600x1600 (file is 8000x8000) and it still works nicely :cutesmile:

The major thing right now is that you need to still use a standard image file of 192x192 cell size when making the animation with the editor.

So use the standard image file to make the animation then rename whatever file that uses bigger cells to the same filename that was used to create the animation.

I am working on the next version right now, I will make it load a separate image file with a unique filename setup to avoid having to do the renaming process ;)

For now this does the trick though. Test it out to see how it goes.
I'm going to add a few other things to this plugin soon too.
You are a saint! This works really well for what I needed to do, thank you so much! I'll be sure to try out the finished version when you release it!

Thank you both for the help!

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You are a saint!
Awww thank you. I try to do what I can to help :cutesmile:

This works really well for what I needed to do, thank you so much! I'll be sure to try out the finished version when you release it!

Thank you both for the help!
Very welcome :)
Yay! Happy to hear it works as needed for ya.

& actually just made a quick version 0.60 to rid of that issue of having to rename. ;)

[v0.60] CTB_AnimationCellSizeMV Plugin: Click Here to Download

Now just make a filename setup like this:
1664496500788.png

The 400 part will need to match what the plugin parameter is set to.
& then upon the final release of your project then you can delete the original from the release.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I may offer a suggestion - this is very cool, but it looks like the plugin parameter forces that to be the cell size for all animations. This is probably not desirable, if you're using mostly animations from/made for MV and just a few that are larger, you'd have to go through the time to edit all of them.

What do you think of having a naming convention and it parses the cell size out? For example, I can have 400!lightning_bolt.png or 640!tornado.png and the numbers preceding the exclamation mark tell the function what the expected cell size is, instead of having it set in a plugin parameter.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If I may offer a suggestion - this is very cool, but it looks like the plugin parameter forces that to be the cell size for all animations. This is probably not desirable, if you're using mostly animations from/made for MV and just a few that are larger, you'd have to go through the time to edit all of them.

What do you think of having a naming convention and it parses the cell size out? For example, I can have 400!lightning_bolt.png or 640!tornado.png and the numbers preceding the exclamation mark tell the function what the expected cell size is, instead of having it set in a plugin parameter.

lol actually yep that's exactly what the next version will have ;)

Just trying to figure out the most optimal way right now :)
Almost done with it now.

I think I will offer 2 different methods for that.. one exactly as you said with a naming method & one that can be setup via an array of options in the plugin parameters... in case people don't want to rename any files that might already exist (so they don't have to go back and change all their pre-existing animations)
...and also I'm now making an option to have an optional folder for use of the "extended" animation sheets (again so this way the user can not have to worry about having to rename anything and instead just place them into a folder)

FruityRPG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awww thank you. I try to do what I can to help :cutesmile:

Very welcome :)
Yay! Happy to hear it works as needed for ya.

& actually just made a quick version 0.60 to rid of that issue of having to rename. ;)

[v0.60] CTB_AnimationCellSizeMV Plugin: Click Here to Download

Now just make a filename setup like this:
View attachment 241644

& then upon the final release of your project then you can delete the original from the release.
Awesome! It works like a charm! Thank you again!

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Awesome! It works like a charm! Thank you again!
Yay! Glad to hear that. :cutesmile: No prob!
Yep stay tuned it's still a W.I.P. ;)

I would find that useful.
CTB_AnimationExMV Plugin: Click Here to Download

Now that's done too ;)
So far I have just done exactly as you said above :)

Now it's like this...
..make a separate folder for the non standard animation sheets :)
Like this:
1664500867978.png
1664500017709.png

1664500073501.png

Edit:
Woops gotta fix a bug.. 1 sec brb
(all animation sheets are currently trying to go to the extended folder)

Yep I tried to push it out too soon, gotta fix a few things. brb

Edit 2:
Ok done now all works as it should.

Just added help documentation to v0.72

Edit 3:
...ok another bug brb

Edit 4:
Ok for real this time now it's done now all works as it should.

Latest version is now 0.75

Last edited:

FruityRPG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if this is just me being a novice with RPG maker MV or a different issue but now when I have the image resized it gets cut off by the HUD. What might be a fix for that?

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if this is just me being a novice with RPG maker MV or a different issue but now when I have the image resized it gets cut off by the HUD. What might be a fix for that?
Can you post a screenshot?

FruityRPG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is really hard to capture a screen shot of it because its only a few frames at the end of an animation 20 frames long, but if I were to describe it anywhere the HUD is on screen gets sliced out of the battle image in the last few frames. I am not using any battle HUD plugins only the battle engine, action sequence and CT's cell size increase

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It is really hard to capture a screen shot of it because its only a few frames at the end of an animation 20 frames long, but if I were to describe it anywhere the HUD is on screen gets sliced out of the battle image in the last few frames. I am not using any battle HUD plugins only the battle engine, action sequence and CT's cell size increase
Hmm.. really not sure what your describing honestly.. I can't replicate that issue at all.. wish I could help figure that out but yeah without seeing it or like a demo of the issue happening, really not sure...

Umm anyway though... for all those who are following this thread...
Version 1.00 now released :)

Lots of updates done now :)

This plugin can break the cell sheet limits for the animations

Filenaming Method Setup:
Have the standard animation sheet named like this:
*cell size*!filename.png

Example:
400!Darkness2.png

Then place the one with a different cell sizes into the Extended Directory inside of the animation Directory
So it would be like this:
/animations/400!Darkness2.png
/animations/extended/400!Darkness2.png

Optionally there are also plugin parameter settings if you don't want to rename files
Priority order is the following:
1. Filenaming method
2. Animation ID list
3. Animation filename list
4. Default Cell Size

Note:
If the default cell size is not 192 it will attempt to load from the extended directory
if local mode & the file is not found in that directory it will then attempt to load from the normal animations directory

Okay this is where it gets crazy...

The optional parameter "Extended Filename" in the lists of Animation IDs/Filenames
is javascript which means you can do many very neat things...
Just a few small examples like this:

'_' + Math.floor((Math.random() * 4) + 1)

The above would add a "_" and a random number 1 to 4 to the end of the filename
Ex. If your filename used in the animation is Wind4
then it would become Wind4_1 or Wind4_2 or Wind4_3 or Wind4_4

filename = ''; Math.floor((Math.random() * 4) + 1)

The above actually blanks the filename and simply becomes a random number 1 to 4
then it would become 1 or 2 or 3 or 4

That's just a very small amount of possibility that can be done, and javascript at all can be used.

Edit:
v1.10 now out
Optional - Using the parameters can now also specify different directories per animation or filenames that don't use the "filenaming" method. See plugin parameters for how to utilize this feature.

Sooo you can now do alot with this... such as now it's actually even made it possible to use the same filename in multiple different animations but have the real animation sheet be in different folders and use different cell sizes. Such as something like this...
1664515302241.png
1664515389475.png
1664515573004.png
1664515732811.png

Edit 2:
Okay sooooo v1.20 is out now & I've added a new optional feature..
The optional parameter "Extended Filename" in the lists of Animation IDs/Filenames
is javascript which means you can do many very neat things...
Just a few small examples like this:

'_' + Math.floor((Math.random() * 4) + 1)

The above would add a "_" and a random number 1 to 4 to the end of the filename
then it would become Wind4_1 or Wind4_2 or Wind4_3 or Wind4_4

filename = ''; Math.floor((Math.random() * 4) + 1)

The above actually blanks the filename and simply becomes a random number 1 to 4
then it would become 1 or 2 or 3 or 4

That's just a very small amount of possibility that can be done, and javascript at all can be used.
Soo with that you can even set different animation settings for in battle & out of battle... for example like this:
1664520721620.png
1664521248094.png

A setup like that would then be like this in game:

Basically there are quite a bit of possibilities now with this. :cutesmile:

Last edited:

FruityRPG

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found a fix, I was scaling my cells by a multiple of 192 and it appears the plugin did not like that very much. Now that I am using a multiple of 100 things are working just fine.

Hawf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
This plugin appears to be precisely what I'd need in VXace, would there be a way to convert this plugin's functionality into a VXace script or is it fundamentally MV only?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this plugin's functionality into a VXace script
VXA and older use a Ruby variant as a base script, MV and MZ use javascript as a base.
so no conversion possible because they are completely different languages, you can only program a script for VXA that does the same but has completely different code.

Hawf

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k
VXA and older use a Ruby variant as a base script, MV and MZ use javascript as a base.
so no conversion possible because they are completely different languages, you can only program a script for VXA that does the same but has completely different code.
That's alright, I may have found an alternate solution for my problem that may be easier to implement. Sorry for the bother.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

working on an A/V sync system for my game! was NOT expecting the first roadblock to be accessing a variable from a public class!! Computers are so finicky sometimes :kaosigh:
For the first real time since my game's inception I found myself actually having fun playing around with my party's skills while testing out some battles! So much so, that I actually forgot what I was doing for a minute and had to force myself to move on to the next thing! :guffaw:

That's got to be a good sign considering it only has place holder animations, enemy skills, troop comps, etc. right now. Feels good!
Bex
Finally upgraded to RMMZ.
ScreenShot_11_28_2022_7_52_34.png
FINALLY, I figured out how to get the "tail" to appear IN the window and not directly below it lol. now it looks like it's part of the window and not hanging from the bottom of it.
Twitch! Stream is about to go live with some Dark Souls 2! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ninja777