Higher resolution slows down performance/fix?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Same conditions, just different resolution.
and what are those "same conditions"? Because that is where the other parts of the lag come from.

I never said that the screen size change is free - of course it adds to the lag. But it isn't the only thing that adds to lag. Even your own numbers are proof of that - they show that the fps is capped at 60.

Let's assume that you have a computer that can run a game at 90 fps (which is a guessed number). The engine limits that to 60fps. Those additional 30 fps are the reserve.
The change in screen size to 1920x1080 might have caused you to loose 30 fps or so - it will NOT have caused you to lose 52 fps, the difference from the guessed 90 to 38. There is something else that caused lag, costing you another 20 fps or so that you never saw from 90 to 70, before the screen size reduction came in.
And if you would find and remove that other lag, the reduction from the assumed 90 would still let you have 50 fps instead of the 38 you detect at the moment.

Or as another proof: make a new project. No events, no plugins other than a single plugin to change screen size to 1920x1080. And then test the fps again - it WILL be higher than 38 fps despite the fact that you are now at the same screen size where your other game reports 38 fps. Because that other game has more than one cause for lag to get to 38.

kako05

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Australian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and what are those "same conditions"? Because that is where the other parts of the lag come from.

I never said that the screen size change is free - of course it adds to the lag. But it isn't the only thing that adds to lag. Even your own numbers are proof of that - they show that the fps is capped at 60.

Let's assume that you have a computer that can run a game at 90 fps (which is a guessed number). The engine limits that to 60fps. Those additional 30 fps are the reserve.
The change in screen size to 1920x1080 might have caused you to loose 30 fps or so - it will NOT have caused you to lose 52 fps, the difference from the guessed 90 to 38. There is something else that caused lag, costing you another 20 fps or so that you never saw from 90 to 70, before the screen size reduction came in.
And if you would find and remove that other lag, the reduction from the assumed 90 would still let you have 50 fps instead of the 38 you detect at the moment.

Or as another proof: make a new project. No events, no plugins other than a single plugin to change screen size to 1920x1080. And then test the fps again - it WILL be higher than 38 fps despite the fact that you are now at the same screen size where your other game reports 38 fps. Because that other game has more than one cause for lag to get to 38.
I'm not sure where are you getting with all of this.

There is something else that caused lag
Mapping/events/plugins are insignificant to performance loss compared to resolution change.

I did tested on empty project.
i5-5200U/4gb laptop (no dedicated GPU)
2 plugins - yanfly core and yanfly coreupdatedopt to set resolution.
1 (17x13) totally empty map.
Screenshot_12.png

1080p - 48fps (would be 38fps with all the plugins and in my previous tested active map with a couple of events)
720p - 60+ (can be anywhere from 60 to 90, can't check since 60 is the limit)
That just shows that resolution alone is a significant factor.

P.S and to be completely sure.
Instead of yanfly plugins, I used chou custom resolutions v3.0.0 to change the resolution to 1080p.
Same (better) result (50fps).
I think that's enough to assume the problem is real since empty project (1plugin) on the empty map already shows below 60 (50) frame rate just because it's 1080p while 720p would've show 60+ (60-90+?)
Anyone can test this issue on their own to see the significant difference just because of 1080p vs 720p.
Just because of resolution FPS drops from 60+ to 48 which is a big difference.
I'm not sure what else I can add to this.

And then test the fps again - it WILL be higher than 38 fps despite the fact that you are now at the same screen size where your other game reports 38 fps. Because that other game has more than one cause for lag to get to 38.
I know that plugins and other stuff reduce performance. That's not my issue. The issue is a too significant effect on performance comparing 720p and 1080p.
My game runs on a test laptop on 60 fps while 720p, but in the future, I'd like to use a higher resolution, but I can't because of how poor the game would run just because of that.
I'm stressing about the significant difference between 720p vs 1080p for a static picture game.
1080p cost an extra 40-50% performance when it comes down to a significant low-end PC player base. That's too crazy.
I can play 3D telltale walking dead games on this laptop at FHD at 30-40fps. And FHD RPGM with nothing going on the screen performs almost the same.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

does there exist a word for a state of being that is between "living" and (not "dead", but ...) "not living" .... does that make sense, or do I just sound like Im high for something :[ ?
Hope you are all fine today~
Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:
Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blablabla