Hime Grid Battle Engine MZ

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
The Grid Battle Engine for MV, ported to MZ!

To help game developers build the battle system of their dreams, I've developed the Grid Battle Engine, which is a suite of plugins that allow you to add new mechanics to your game.

The Grid Battle Engine allows you to turn your default battle system, into a grid battle system!
First you start with your default battle system like this

And then you add grid battle on top, to turn it into this!

It’s basically the default battle system that you’re familiar with, except we add a couple things to it
  1. One or more grids.
  2. Battler positions on each grid.
So what’s so special about grid battle? Isn’t it just changing where the sprites appear?

The grid battle engine itself allows you to create and manage grids. You can then install add-on plugins that will provide additional mechanics depending on what kind of battle system you want to make.

For example, one of the add-ons allows you to create Area of Effect targeting, which allows you to create your own area of effects and then assign them to your item or skills so that you can target multiple battlers with a single action!

With the grid battle engine, you can add a lot of new functionality to your battle system without having to change the rest of your game. You can also use different types of battle systems in the same game, for example if you wanted to create some mini-game arena challenges, or have a map-based battle for certain parts of the game.

The possibilities are endless.

Download

Get it here: https://himeworks.com/2020/08/grid-battle-engine/
Terms of Use: https://himeworks.com/terms-of-use/

Addons

Grid Target Selection

Getting Started

To get started, I recommend following this tutorial that I've provided with the initial release. It's a quick "getting started" guide to see if you can add it to your (existing) project.
The core plugin is set up with defaults that will allow you to just plug and play and have grids in your game. I've included the "Grid Target Area" plugin as part of the bundle which provides area of effects.

Last edited:

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I cannot wait to give this a go. Thank you so much for uploading it ^_^!

jerrypylant

Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is fantastic. I will definitely be following this.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
So amazing! Thanks for this plugin! :LZSjoy::LZSjoy::LZSjoy:

Edited: I was testing and this plugin seems to have a little incompatibility with VisuStella Battle Core. If actived, the grid and AOE images are draw above the battlers instead of below. I tried it in a new project with only VisuStella Core&Battle Core + Hime Grid plugins activated and is still the same.

Just letting people know. Thanks for the hard work!

Last edited:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So amazing! Thanks for this plugin! :LZSjoy::LZSjoy::LZSjoy:

Edited: I was testing and this plugin seems to have a little incompatibility with VisuStella Battle Core. If actived, the grid and AOE images are draw above the battlers instead of below. I tried it in a new project with only VisuStella Core&Battle Core + Hime Grid plugins activated and is still the same.

Just letting people know. Thanks for the hard work!
Hmm, that ones a bit weird. Maybe you can send a bug report to visustella to see what's happening.

It sounds like what's happening is the grid is being drawn after the actor and enemies are drawn. In my code, I draw it before the enemies are drawn (which are drawn before actors are drawn)

Alternatively I could probably force the grid to be rearranged to be shown before all battler sprites but after battleback... Will see how that might be done.

Nekohime1989

Nekohime
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Tsukihime
I've been looking for a grid battle system for some time. Would this work for something like Shining Force and Disgaea?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Tsukihime
I've been looking for a grid battle system for some time. Would this work for something like Shining Force and Disgaea?
Eventually we'll be able to build full tactics battle engines, built on the default turn based battle system.

Right now we have AoE.
Then we just need grid based selection, movement, line of sight, and enemies that will know to move towards the party.

Toss everyone on one big grid, allow the battlefield to extend beyond the screen so that you can scroll around, and I think it would be a pretty good start.

And similar to disgaea, you have your grid battle, but you can also explore the maps normally since the battle system takes place in regular battle.

And you could have multiple types of battles all working in the same project, simply by setting up the appropriate skills go use.

Move skill might be for the tactics battle system, and might not be available for the sideview battle system. You could probably even combine them together to have tactics battle include sideview mini battles, etc.

Last edited:

Nekohime1989

Nekohime
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is good news. Thank you for this hime. It's appreciated.

matthew30903

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is an amazing plugin concept with potential for many different battle system styles. I look forward to seeing how you continue to develop it.

Would it be possible to make skills that change the character's position on the grid? As well as skills that are only available to characters that are in a certain position?
I am thinking of something similar to the game Mistover where skills only work and effect certain grid squares.

Thank you for sharing this interesting plugin.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is an amazing plugin concept with potential for many different battle system styles. I look forward to seeing how you continue to develop it.

Would it be possible to make skills that change the character's position on the grid? As well as skills that are only available to characters that are in a certain position?
I am thinking of something similar to the game Mistover where skills only work and effect certain grid squares.

Thank you for sharing this interesting plugin.
There's a plugin in development that will provide a number of different battler movement functions that you can use in your skills.

From simple things like moving to another tile, which is your classic "move" command. I don't have a video showcasing only movement but you can see it in this one

Or maybe you want to push other battlers back or pull them forward.

For skills that have position based conditions, I would use a plugin that will allow you to assign custom use conditions as a formula, and then the formula would basically check the battler's position or other things.

I have plugins for those in MV that can be ported

Mojo907

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pretty wicked Hime

RainbowGrenade

Paint Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is so cool! I'm stoked to see where this goes! I'm getting The Fractured But Whole vibes, and I love it. Thanks a ton for developing and sharing this. I'm having issues getting it to work right at the moment, but I"m also super tired, so I'm probably just glazing over something important. Anyway, thanks again!

Siul

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Amazing work here, Hime!

When you say "position based skills", do you mean that you can make skills have specific range? I mean, you can have skills that only reach X tiles from your position. That would be really awesome.

Anyways, i will give a huge try to your system.

ThePedro004

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't know why but it seems to show the message that the plugin may not be compatible with MZ.

Edit:

It seems to work but after a battle, when the player returns to the map, if I try to equip/dequip a weapon (didnt tested with armor as well), the game crashes with the error "object too deep" I only got this while using the grid plugin.

fes.png

Last edited:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Amazing work here, Hime!

When you say "position based skills", do you mean that you can make skills have specific range? I mean, you can have skills that only reach X tiles from your position. That would be really awesome.

Anyways, i will give a huge try to your system.
Yes, skill ranges is on the list of features to build

And on the other side, line of sight "covers" so that enemies can cover your range.

I don't know why but it seems to show the message that the plugin may not be compatible with MZ.

Edit:

It seems to work but after a battle, when the player returns to the map, if I try to equip/dequip a weapon (didnt tested with armor as well), the game crashes with the error "object too deep" I only got this while using the grid plugin.

View attachment 157840
Thanks for the report. It looks like something they did something in MV to fix it but MZ still has the issue. I'll see how to have it patched.

Oh ya and I didn't set the target to MZ for any of the plugins. It'll be addressed next release.

RainbowGrenade

Paint Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quick question, and I apologize if it's been addressed already, but I'm testing the plugins in MZ, and while everything else seems to be working, I can only target based on enemy selection instead of picking a grid space. Is that what you meant by the following quote, or am I just missing something in set up? I'm not using any other plugins besides a title skip, but that is currently turned off.
Oh ya and I didn't set the target to MZ for any of the plugins. It'll be addressed next release.

TrentL111

Archmage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This looks really cool! Love the idea you have of having to defeat the front enemies before reaching the back. Reminds me of Yanfly's formation plugin, but better!

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've released a new version of the base plugins which addresses the crashing issue for equipping and game saving.

The new version of the Grid Core and Grid Battle will (probably) be required for everything else to work properly as well. I say probably because it might work with older versions but maybe not 100% correctly.

I've finished the documentation for Grid target selection and have released it here: https://himeworks.com/2020/09/grid-battle-engine-target-selection/

Since it's designed to be an add-on, you can choose whether you want to include it in your game or not.

If you would like to be able to do grid-based target selection, you can test if it works in your project by simply adding it under HIME_GridBattle, setting up your item/skill scopes (ally, enemy, etc), and testing them in battle.

Target selection only works if the scope requires a target, such as "one actor" or "one enemy" so by default, scopes like "all enemies" will just target all enemies as usual.

Tile states will be released shortly when I finish the documentation.

For movement, I'm currently seeing if I can use action sequences to accomplish the movement animation, using plugins like Visustella or Akea Animated Battle System
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/akea-animated-battle-system-2.126569/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:
I am so hyped! A new post update and im anxious to see reactions..eeeeeeee
When a youtuber plays your project or game made by you using MAKERs, you will just be awe struck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deli