Hime Grid Battle Engine

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
To help game developers build the battle system of their dreams, I've developed the Grid Battle Engine, which is a suite of plugins that allow you to add new mechanics to your game.

The Grid Battle Engine allows you to turn your default battle system, into a grid battle system!

First you start with your default battle system like this

And then you add grid battle on top, to turn it into this!

It’s basically the default battle system that you’re familiar with, except we add a couple things to it
  1. One or more grids.
  2. Battler positions on each grid.
So what’s so special about grid battle? Isn’t it just changing where the sprites appear?

The grid battle engine itself allows you to create and manage grids. You can then install add-on plugins that will provide additional mechanics depending on what kind of battle system you want to make.

For example, one of the add-ons allows you to create Area of Effect targeting, which allows you to create your own area of effects and then assign them to your item or skills so that you can target multiple battlers with a single action!

With the grid battle engine, you can add a lot of new functionality to your battle system without having to change the rest of your game. You can also use different types of battle systems in the same game, for example if you wanted to create some mini-game arena challenges, or have a map-based battle for certain parts of the game.

The possibilities are endless.

Download

Get it here: https://himeworks.com/2020/08/grid-battle-engine/
Terms of Use: https://himeworks.com/terms-of-use/

To get started, I recommend following this tutorial that I've provided with the initial release. It's a quick "getting started" guide to see if you can add it to your (existing) project.
The core plugin is set up with defaults that will allow you to just plug and play and have grids in your game. I've included the "Grid Target Area" plugin as part of the bundle which provides area of effects.

Add-on plugins will be listed here as they are developed.

Here's a video of a "grid selection" add-on that is currently in development.

Last edited:

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hi,Tsukihime
When I try HIME_GridTargetArea, an error occurs. Is it incompatible with the yanfly battle engine?
22.png
List of only enabled plugins, no matter if they are listed above or below yanfly plugin
QQ截图20200823080014.png

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you try putting it below the animated SV enemies.
Yes, I tried, the same result.
Moreover, if I turn on the YEP combat engine, AOE does not take effect at the same time, it executes animation and damage one at a time just like the original MV. . .

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, I tried, the same result.
Moreover, if I turn on the YEP combat engine, AOE does not take effect at the same time, it executes animation and damage one at a time just like the original MV. . .
Set it up in a new project and if it still happens send me the project.

For animation, having it activate at the same time requires the "all" scope, but that probably won't work since you want to select one target as well. I'll have to look at how to patch it for yanfly battle engine.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Set it up in a new project and if it still happens send me the project.

For animation, having it activate at the same time requires the "all" scope, but that probably won't work since you want to select one target as well. I'll have to look at how to patch it for yanfly battle engine.
I tested it on the original project.
I think I found the reason for the pop-up error. I set a 5X5 grid and used the healing skill test, because the healing AOE I set was a vertical 5 grid range, but my team has only 4 people. If I use the healing, The selected AOE range includes the fifth grid. If that grid has no members, the game will crash.
Yes, if the scope is selected as the whole, the effect can happen at the same time.
However, the scope is all enemies, the AOE note tag is effective, and the animation damage is executed at the same time. Use flame skill test.
In fact, add some more enemies to troops, the scope of the skill is set to all, and the label range of AOE notes is only a visual effect, and it is useless

If the treatment scope is all teammates, it seems to conflict with the AOE range note, and all is selected by default. If the scope is one, the AOE note label effect is executed, but the animation and damage are not executed at the same time
I hope my poor English will not make your reading difficult, I will upload the game project later

Last edited:

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I tested it on the original project.

I think I found the reason for the pop-up error. I set a 5X5 grid and used the healing skill test, because the healing AOE I set was a vertical 5 grid range, but my team has only 4 people. If I use the healing, The selected AOE range includes the fifth grid. If that grid has no members, the game will crash.

Yes, if the scope is selected as the whole, the effect can happen at the same time.

However, the scope is all enemies, the AOE note tag is effective, and the animation damage is executed at the same time. Use flame skill test. In fact, add some more enemies to troops, the scope of the skill is set to all, and the label range of AOE notes is only a visual effect, and it is useless

If the treatment scope is all teammates, it seems to conflict with the AOE range note, and all is selected by default. If the scope is one, the AOE note label effect is executed, but the animation and damage are not executed at the same time

I hope my poor English will not make your reading difficult, I will upload the game project later
Actually I was trying out the scopes, and I don't think it's completely based on the scope. I changed my "fire" skill from "one enemy" to "all enemies" and it was still executing one at a time.

I had a heal skill does 3x3 square AoE, with "One Ally" as the scope. I used the "Heal All 1" animation and it worked for everyone.

I think yanfly uses the animation properties to determine whether it should be executed one at a time, or for everyone. Maybe it's based on the "position" of the animation? Not sure. Give one of the "all" animations a try with "one" scope.

1598164133642.png

I found the issue.

The grid setup is occurring before the battle begins, which means the "in battle" flag isn't set. I haven't figured out if it's ok to set up the grid after the battle starts because the "in battle" flag is set after everyone performs their "on battle starts" methods which might require positions to be known.

I have added a "patch" section to the website for a list of bug fixes and compatibility stuff. I won't be updating the plugins immediately whenever a bug is found, but these patches should allow for a temporary fix.

1598163838734.png

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually I was trying out the scopes, and I don't think it's completely based on the scope. I changed my "fire" skill from "one enemy" to "all enemies" and it was still executing one at a time.

I had a heal skill does 3x3 square AoE, with "One Ally" as the scope. I used the "Heal All 1" animation and it worked for everyone.

I think yanfly uses the animation properties to determine whether it should be executed one at a time, or for everyone. Maybe it's based on the "position" of the animation? Not sure. Give one of the "all" animations a try with "one" scope.

View attachment 156619

I found the issue.

The grid setup is occurring before the battle begins, which means the "in battle" flag isn't set. I haven't figured out if it's ok to set up the grid after the battle starts because the "in battle" flag is set after everyone performs their "on battle starts" methods which might require positions to be known.

I have added a "patch" section to the website for a list of bug fixes and compatibility stuff. I won't be updating the plugins immediately whenever a bug is found, but these patches should allow for a temporary fix.

View attachment 156617
I installed the patch and it did fix the crash due to no members in the grid.
I also tried to set the animation position to the screen, and the skill range to be single, it is indeed possible to perform animation and damage at the same time, and it works according to the AOE range. But does this mean that all animations can only be played on the screen instead of pointing to the target.
I don't understand the code, so I don't know how the yanfly plugin works.
But my project does use yanfly's target core and selection range plug-in, his effective range is not related to the animation position, maybe you can study his code.
Looking forward to the update!

jglag

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Doesn't run. Get the error "Failed to load data/Map999.json". This happens even if I start a new project using no other plugins.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Doesn't run. Get the error "Failed to load data/Map999.json". This happens even if I start a new project using no other plugins.
The default target AoE map is set to 999. That might be the issue if the Target Area plugin is enabled.

jglag

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The default target AoE map is set to 999. That might be the issue if the Target Area plugin is enabled.
Ok. So does this mean that the AoE system cannot be used? Is there a way to get your engine running? Thanks.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ok. So does this mean that the AoE system cannot be used? Is there a way to get your engine running? Thanks.
To use the AoE plugin you should set up a map for your AoE shapes and then update the plugin parameters to point to that map.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My pumpkin! Anyone like Fallout?

It's not terrible, but could be better. This thing took me over an hour to carve. :kaophew:

Dad's watching a WWII documentary while I work on some cool assets for my games. I just love RPG Maker!
Also Happy Halloween! Dad's friend won't be coming unfortunately, but Dad will still be taking me to Boxi Park to have some fun tonight! I'll be posting a video on my YouTube channel of the show, and I'll be sure to post a link here.
"Nightmares exist outside of logic and there's little fun to be had in explanations. They're antithetical to the poetry of fear. In a horror story the victim keeps asking why, but there can be no explanation and there shouldn't be one..." - Stephen King
I feel people seek explanation and demand it sometimes in games, but in the horror genre, well, maybe you shouldn't have one. Silent Hill 1 comes to mind...
Managed to implement QSprite.

Always double check your plugin order.

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emcautley1