TPetrichor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi everyone!
I'm very excited to announce that after 4 years, my RMMV Indie Horror Game is complete!

I'd love if you all checked it out!

HIRAETH

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS

• There is a forest. A dark forest, that exists in a world outside of time. Deep in this forest, towering trees give way to a small clearing. Inside of this clearing, you find your companions. Your only friends.

There's Princess Pocket the Persian.

And Hesitate the Woodland King.

Never forget Felix the Ghost Cicada.

Play as the troubled Dreamer and join up with one of three peculiar animal companions to unravel the unsettling mysteries of Hiraeth. Explore a suspiciously unending cabin frozen in antiquity and fall into a plot of dreams, fragmented memories, and psychological horror. Can you piece together the world around you and discover your true reality?

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

F0D9Nj.jpg
F0D9Nj2.png
Capture.PNG

DOWNLOAD LINK

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game is a trip!

Such mood. Dark, surreal, unsettling...like a David Lynch version of The Witch's House.

Did you do the cutscene and character artwork?

Last edited:

TPetrichor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This game is a trip!

Such mood. Dark, surreal, unsettling...like a David Lynch version of The Witch's House.

Did you do the cutscene and character artwork?

This is the best compliment I've ever gotten

Yes! I drew all the illustrations and made the background with paper cut etc. My friend made all the pixel art and photoshopped all the illustrations for me.

I'm so glad you like it!! ✨

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's super cool, your illustrations are really great! I can tell a lot of care went into crafting the visuals. So spooky...

And god, the battles you sometimes run into...I always get my butt handed to me, and am terrified while it happens. I better keep playing in hopes that I'll someday understand what's happening, and slay one of these damn shadows :LZSooo:

EDIT:

take_that.png

I see now that in HIRAETH, persistence is key.

Last edited:

TPetrichor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's super cool, your illustrations are really great! I can tell a lot of care went into crafting the visuals. So spooky...

And god, the battles you sometimes run into...I always get my butt handed to me, and am terrified while it happens. I better keep playing in hopes that I'll someday understand what's happening, and slay one of these damn shadows :LZSooo:

EDIT:

I see now that in HIRAETH, persistence is key.

We're actually working on some clues for how to win the battles right now!! :)

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice! So far I've just kept retrying until I find a combination of choices that gets me somewhere, though I'm still unsure whether I achieved victory through the correct choices, or through retrying several times.

Last night I completed everything with Pocket...that final cutscene sequence...so perfectly dark and unsettling.

I'm really loving the art here even more as I go along- this is one of my favorite pieces so far:

awesome_art.png

The care you put into the graphics for each of the many inventory items (eg the notes, keys, etc...) is clear as well.

Now I'm going through round 2 with Felix. I really hope I eventually get a chance to fight back at the end.

I did catch a couple of small bugs (updated: and one big one) :

1) A minor tile Priority issue here, at first I thought it was a secret path lol:

map_bug_maybe.png

2) Even after Pocket is back by your side, the prompt here says you need to save him:

I_got_pocket.png

3) EDIT: New bug I ran into since posting this reply: o_O

Three choices deep in this fight (2nd time through, with Felix as my buddy) you are given two choices: 'Capture', and 'No'. I chose 'No' out of curiosity and the game froze...it didn't crash, it just stopped doing new things:

capture_no.png

Here's some specific praise too:

- The bookshelf interface is so clever!

beautiful_books.png

- I loved how seemlessly you merged regular tiles and the machine art here!

nice_trip.png

Last edited:

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry to post again before you had a chance to respond to my last post, but...:

rad2.png

I had chills at the end, definitely quite a journey here.

I have but one small criticism:

At the end, when you finally get a chance to take that monster out, it would be even more
satisfying if there were some art showing you fighting back...as it is you're just brought back to the now-bloodied map scene after Felix tells you what to do.

That's fine, but after everything you go through in this game, everything the monster did and put you through, it'd be really great to see the final attack happen via a graphic. And, maybe to be able to select 'go for the eyes' as you could after the first time through before it happens, so the player feels like they're making the choice to finally get vengeance.

No huge deal, just letting you know how I felt at the end of the ride.

Last edited:

TPetrichor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nice! So far I've just kept retrying until I find a combination of choices that gets me somewhere, though I'm still unsure whether I achieved victory through the correct choices, or through retrying several times.

Last night I completed everything with Pocket...that final cutscene sequence...so perfectly dark and unsettling.

I'm really loving the art here even more as I go along- this is one of my favorite pieces so far:

The care you put into the graphics for each of the many inventory items (eg the notes, keys, etc...) is clear as well.

Now I'm going through round 2 with Felix. I really hope I eventually get a chance to fight back at the end.

I did catch a couple of small bugs (updated: and one big one) :

1) A minor tile Priority issue here, at first I thought it was a secret path lol:

2) Even after Pocket is back by your side, the prompt here says you need to save him:

3) EDIT: New bug I ran into since posting this reply: o_O

Three choices deep in this fight (2nd time through, with Felix as my buddy) you are given two choices: 'Capture', and 'No'. I chose 'No' out of curiosity and the game froze...it didn't crash, it just stopped doing new things:

Here's some specific praise too:

- The bookshelf interface is so clever!

- I loved how seemlessly you merged regular tiles and the machine art here!

WOW I am awful and somehow missed this awesome reply???

Thank you so much!! I'll definitely work on those bugs ...
I'm mulling about the idea to change all sprites into tall versions. If I do, I'm going to try and put Hiraeth on Steam. But I think if I use "$tallsprites" whatever it renders the bush animations inert in the tileset section??? And I use those FREQUENTLY in Hiraeth.

I'm so glad you like Hiraeth as much as I do :)

Sorry to post again before you had a chance to respond to my last post, but...:

I had chills at the end, definitely quite a journey here.

I have but one small criticism:

At the end, when you finally get a chance to take that monster out, it would be even more
satisfying if there were some art showing you fighting back...as it is you're just brought back to the now-bloodied map scene after Felix tells you what to do.

That's fine, but after everything you go through in this game, everything the monster did and put you through, it'd be really great to see the final attack happen via a graphic. And, maybe to be able to select 'go for the eyes' as you could after the first time through before it happens, so the player feels like they're making the choice to finally get vengeance.

No huge deal, just letting you know how I felt at the end of the ride.
Hahaha and here's another I never had a chance to respond to! I'm so sorry! I don't think I have the right email on this forum so I never get notifications.

Yes; I agree there should be art for defeating him. When we finished this we admittedly were rushing. We were biting at the bit after 4 years!!

Now that I may try and release on Steam, that art is something I'll definitely want to create.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hah you're not awful, glad to see you replied!

I can understand the urgency to finally share your project with the world, especially after 4 years of development. Overall it didn't seem rushed at all, and I almost didn't comment on the lack of art supporting the final confrontation. It was a satisfying, spooky journey regardless, and already had a ton of beautiful artwork throughout.

Good luck with the Steam release, I hope more people give Hiraeth a go!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

BGM playlist:

(It does not work with an open menu, as it affects events in parallel process)
sorry I've been quiet for like-- ever - A -) been dealing with constant family/personal issues. Got a wisdom tooth out today though! one less thing to deal with
Definetly a WIP but having fun with those desert tiles xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatGuyWheels