Horizontal map looping + events

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by ZirconStorms, Nov 20, 2018.

1. ZirconStorms

ZirconStorms VX & VX Ace Scripts Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Using a horizontal loop scroll type for a map will result in events flickering for a split second (becoming transparent) no matter where they are on the map.

upload_2018-11-19_20-32-31.png

Are there any workarounds to this? Flexibility is a bit limited with the use of parallax mapping/evented looping (placing transfers on the map to fake a seamless/endless map loop) so I'd like to avoid using those two techniques if possible. I've attached a demo with an example of this event flicker issue below (nothing about the engine or default scripts has been modified)

Attached Files:

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's because the nature of map looping is just simply moving all events to the other side. To make it looks seamless, the code needs to be modified so that it displays a clone of the sprite on the other side of the map (I'm too lazy to think how it works).

The flicker will be noticeable if you use map looping in the small map. However, if you use bigger map, says 2 tiles bigger than the minimum size, i.e, 19 tiles width, it won't be noticeable.

ZirconStorms likes this.
  3. ZirconStorms

ZirconStorms VX & VX Ace Scripts Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think there is a script made by Shaz (Clone events https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/clone-events.18727/ ) that could work as a workaround to the event clone. If not, then it is good to know that smaller/minimum tile looping maps may just be something to avoid completely.

4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    An extra event is unnecessary, you just need an extra sprite that acts as an extra event (it's done by script).
    And I mean, it's really not worth the hassle when I can just use a bigger map and call it a day.
    Besides map looping is usually done in a bigger map.