RMXP Horror Game Idea based Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

aGoodCabinet

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hey, i've recently got back into liking RPG horror games by watching Manlybadasshero on youtube. And one of my old game ideas came back to me and I thought of making it with RPG Maker. I'm still not sure if I should buy it because I might not use it that much or I won't be using it all my life. I'm more on visual stuff than programming, as i am an aspiring digital artist and character designer. So anyway, the idea is:

It's pretty much a twisted version of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. I'm still working on the lore and Wonka's motives, but the main game is Charlie, all grown up, going through the factory again, battling Oompa Loompas, Oompas mutated by candy, Candy mutants, and the other 4 children who lost the contest as main bosses, now mutated into candy monsters that are related to how they ended up during the Golden Ticket contest. Of course, Wonka might be the final boss.

Game mechanics may include actual rpg elements such as health, mana, stat, and exp system, instead of the usual "key unlocks door to unlock key" and scripted chase segments. Maybe equipping Charlie with candy-related weapons and items.

Also somewhat inspired by American Mcgee's Alice

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, i've recently got back into liking RPG horror games by watching Manlybadasshero on youtube. And one of my old game ideas came back to me and I thought of making it with RPG Maker. I'm still not sure if I should buy it because I might not use it that much or I won't be using it all my life. I'm more on visual stuff than programming, as i am an aspiring digital artist and character designer. So anyway, the idea is:

It's pretty much a twisted version of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. I'm still working on the lore and Wonka's motives, but the main game is Charlie, all grown up, going through the factory again, battling Oompa Loompas, Oompas mutated by candy, Candy mutants, and the other 4 children who lost the contest as main bosses, now mutated into candy monsters that are related to how they ended up during the Golden Ticket contest. Of course, Wonka might be the final boss.

Game mechanics may include actual rpg elements such as health, mana, stat, and exp system, instead of the usual "key unlocks door to unlock key" and scripted chase segments. Maybe equipping Charlie with candy-related weapons and items.

Also somewhat inspired by American Mcgee's Alice
That sounds like it would be a nice change of pace compared to your haunted houses, schools, hospitals and other building types.

I am working on RPG/Horror(I think) hybrid as well. My project takes place near in two towns with a mysterious tower in between. (The tower is a living thing)

Last edited:

MidoriChan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This thread's title hooked me in immediately and I gotta say this is a very interesting concept. I love it when classic stories we all know and love are adapted with a horror twist added to them. I've came up with many of these stories myself but Charlie and The Chocolate Factory has never came to mind. I wish you the best of luck on your game's development.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th October 2021

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjjjjamjam