Horror games: are you afraid of your own creation?

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
(I just realized that my title can have two meanings...)

I was making a nightmare scene and, even though I know all of its making and tricks, when I playtested the final result and pretended to be an average player, I felt something, shall I call it unease.

I'm not used to this kind of scenes, whether it be in games or movies, so I guess I am still quite receptive compared to jaded veterans of the genre.

I was wondering if creators of horror games actually feel something when playing their own creations, despite being the puppeteer.

Can a horror scene be so intense (at least in your criteria) that you can feel the uneasiness produced by it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yui

Rond's Personal Grammar Nazi
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I once tried to write a novel from the perspective of a demented serial killer and that really messed me up for the longest time....

One thing that usually always bothered me, was when I made a really twisted scene.. is that it came from my own mind, and it makes me question my own mentality and sanity, which is why I guess I really like psychological horror when watching movies, or anime, because I can relate to the characters. I guess I think too much!

But really though, I don't think its that odd for someone to be interested in macabre subjects, if it was horror as a genre wouldn't exist outside a small niche. And you have to remember that the scenes you create, the brutality your characters display, the evil that lurks in your story, are all parts of your imagination, and they shouldn't be able to hurt you!!! So try not to let them get to you!!

But yea I know what you mean, I often times when doing horror, really question myself because I'd rather believe that I couldn't create horrific things of any kind than certain types of scenes!

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps, and I think the same goes for any other type of scenes. A sad scene, for example, of your creation: do you feel sad watching it or nothing because you're the creator?

Personally, I have never created anything that is "horror," but generally, I was unable to feel anything from my scenes in the moment of creating it. However, leaving it for a long time and replaying it after having forgotten the details, makes me a better judge of my creations and I can act as an average player then and truly feel the scene. If I didn't, well...that means it wasn't good in the first place. XD

TherainED

Guess who's here?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spinash
Primarily Uses
Regarding me, not really. I have written twisted situations, but I've never felt affected in any way by them. Maybe because I understand those situations as something I created and can change if I am willing. Maybe because it is something the character I am creating would do.

For example, I remember this time I wrote a short story and while I was writing it, the images were running through my mind at an incredible speed and I only felt compelled to keep writing. When I ended, those images felt visceral and savage, but they were not something I was afraid of.

Maybe because the general subject of the short story was not something I fear.

Even though, I remember I read on the script of Transmetropolitan (by Warren Ellis) the following passage:

SPOILER: If you are reading or plan on reading Transmetropolitan (which you should), do not open this spoiler. Contains details of the trama. Also, it's pretty graphical.

She dies. But she doesn't die a simple death with a bullet to the head and a tiny hole caved in her skull. No. I am going to give them blood. I want you to make her head burst, like fricking fireworks. Blood, brains, bits of skull, teeth and skin. I want you to draw that as graphically as you can. And if it doesn't make you puke, it's not good enough.
So yeah, the impression the artist gets while creating is something rather important in some fields such as drawing and music. What I don't know is if it works the same with the writing.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well I have seen some dream that scared the hell out of me. Technically scumbag brain played with my own mind so it was a self scare situation. I wrote things down, details of my nightmares, to add them to my game. 

Avoid reading this if you get easily scared:

Now look, when you are on a dark road, strolling after midnight, you can listen to some music, or just walk staring at your surroundings, enjoying the night breeze. Of course you CAN make your mind THINK of threats lurking around, like thieves, maybe a supernatural being stalking you. Don't look behind, just raise the frequency of your steps untill you will find yourself running. ****! You can still feel it behind you, hunting you. Don't look back, just run in the dark road ahead. There is light on the other side of the road, about 200 meters, run for it, but who knows what lurks in that tiny small and suddenly so clestophobic road. 

Good luck on your next night walk! :p
Your fears is what YOU allow to create fear into you. Your mind is very similar to other minds, and so different at the same time. There are always primitive fears that apply to all of us. There are also psychological situations. Now what scares ME, is what I wanna share so people can enjoy such an intense feeling from the comfort and safety of their house, in front of their screen. I actually add what I am scared of, and I try to do the extra mile, to leap into the minds of other people and try to understand what might scare THEM. That's why I don't rush a horror game I wanna make.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Never having made a horror game, I can't say I've scared myself with one. I have scared myself, though, when writing scary scenes in books.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D
Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mai_