Horse Riding

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by SebazWorld, Nov 5, 2014.

1. SebazWorld

SebazWorld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I'm making a game where you just kind live life in a town, and I was wondering if there was a way to make the character be able to ride horses and show the horse shows the sprite on it's back. I'm no good at making sprites and I really want the player to be seen on the horse for a realism effect. I hope people can understand what I mean, it's a bit hard to explain.

ianbach likes this.
  2. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just change actor graphics in an event when interacting with the horse.

3. Arin

Arin Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy! Veteran

First Language:
    Fraglspock
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think he means he wants the sprite on the horse as well. Which, realistically and yet sorrowfully, is the only way to really get the desired outcome you're looking for. You would have to make separate charactersheets for each character that you want to show riding a horse, and either make the spriting yourself, or have someone else who can sprite make the charactersheet for you, but other than that, there really isn't an "easy" way to get the effect you're looking for.  

ianbach likes this.
  4. Sophism

Sophism Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Like Arin said, if you want custom sprites, you're going to have to either produce your own, or find someone willing to create them for you. There are some actor sprites under "Riding" in the RTP that you could probably use as templates.

As for how you'd do it, I cooked up a quick little demo for you. It uses nothing but RTP assets, so it's a tiny download. (I did include a very simple script to handle turning off dashing while mounted and turning it back on while on foot.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/35bghltb5zaekmp/My%20Little%20Horsie.zip?dl=0

Hope this helps.  :)

Marsigne likes this.
  5. SebazWorld

SebazWorld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks, I figured I'd end up having to anyway. That little demo was cool, I looked through the events in the project so I think I know what to do now. :)

6. ianbach

ianbach Zombie Master Member

First Language:
    english
    is there a way to do this using victor's custom vehicles script?

What is Dashing? other than yourself?

very cool Demo 

Sophism
    Will C's plug and play vehicle script u makes the small boat from sys os and make it into a land vehicle that obeys same rules as char movement u could change small boat to horse 

but it would not show actor on the horse when u get on vehicle

I am still hoping maybe i can use victor's or some other vehicle script to do horses with player mounted

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  7. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I might be possible, but it is going to look strange if you just put a normal sprite on top of a horse sprite. You will still need the correct graphics.

8. ianbach

First Language:
    english
     i can make 2 diff sprites one with just horse and second i can draw my char on the horse make sprite sheet for that.

i still trying figure out how to use victors script seems like i need know a lot about code to get it. i wish victor had demos for their scripts.

for sure cant make will C' script change srpite sheet OR? or maybe can add some line to will's plug and play one that changes small boat to land vehicle?

9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you have a character sheet with your character riding a horse, you do not need a script. Simply use an event command to change the actor's sprite to the one on the horse. Then the player will move around as the actor on the horse.

ianbach likes this.
  10. Sophism

Sophism Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ian, because the game engine can't tell on its own that your character is mounted, (As you're basically just changing their movement speed and their sprite.) I added a tiny script to prevent you from dashing while mounted, since you're already moving at a higher speed, and if you then dash you basically move way too fast.

If you follow my example from the demo, you won't need to use vehicles to handle being mounted, unless you want to of course. You can also slim down the event a lot if you don't care about smoothly transitioning the player character into the mounted sprite.

ianbach likes this.
  11. ianbach

First Language:
    english
    Yup I  already got it in my game yipee. totally love it. now I need make a 8d sprite for on horse eep. thanks agian ...I just love when people do cool lil demos like that it makes it way easyier to learn from thanks thanks thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  12. ianbach

First Language:
    english
  13. ianbach

First Language:
    english
    is there a way to make it so you can dismount anywhere?