Hot & Cold Treasure Hunt?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Grinn, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Grinn

Grinn The Game Dev Wonder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok so I have a question. Is there a way, either by controlling the variables (as X Y coordinates) or by script to play "warmer / colder" with an invisible treasure chest?

Like players are walking along and press a button and it says "cold" if you are over a certain threshold and "hot" if you are within a second threshold?  (assuming X, Y coordinates).

Tried messing with this last night to no effect.

A second theory, less robust but simpler I guess, is to use region ID numbers as conditional branches that it checks on a parallel process common event. Like if it's 01 it'll say "cold", if it's 02 it'll say "warm", if it's 03 it will say like "burning up!" in text that pops up when you press the button.

Basically, I want to have a dog in the party who can "sniff out" treasure.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It should be a lot easier to do with a common event called by a skill or item instead of using a parallel process with a key press, but it can be done both ways.

It can be done by both coordinate coordination and by region checks, it depends on the details to decide which one is better - like how many chests on how many maps you have, which ranges you're talking about and so on.

I suggest posting a screenshot of the event you have so far, then we can tell you where you made a mistake with it.

Grinn likes this.
  3. Grinn

First Language:
    English
    So I poked around with it and thanks to Andar guiding me in the right direction I came up with this (that works):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You should add a wait(5) at the end of the common event, and movethe three commands from the map event into the beginning of the common event.
    Currently you have both events running sixty times per second, creating lag.

With the wait and both events combined you'll only have one event running ten times per second, that should be enough as no player moves faster than that.

Grinn likes this.
  5. Grinn

First Language:
    English
    Awesome! Thanks.

So something more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/86gPH1T.png