Hotel themed puzzles

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Bowtirage, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Bowtirage

Bowtirage Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm working on a horror game based in a creepy love hotel and I'm trying to come up with some puzzle ideas that would fit that theme.
    I've had a couple of thoughts but I am stuck. Can anyone help me think of any hotel themed puzzles?

2. DeviTheHuman

DeviTheHuman (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What about a puzzle where you have to change the channel on a television set in a specific order to unlock a door or puzzle piece? Sort of like a lock combination, except with TV stations.

starlight dream likes this.
  3. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Switch flipping where activating a switch deactivates the ones on either side requiring careful planning to get the right set active.
    Floor puzzles where you need to "draw" something by walking over tiles and changing their colors (like drawing a 1 to match up with door 1 and so on).

There is also find an object to replace (good old Resident Evil and it's find gemstones for statues) but those are more like fetch quests then actual puzzles.

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    An increasingly complicated series of actions in order to get decent room service. No, not a joke (well, maybe a bit) but an attempt to tie the puzzle into the location. DeviTheHuman's suggestion does that, as hotel rooms do have television, but it's actually quite difficult to think of something which wouldn't equally fit into a monster-infested tower, or whatever. Maybe the "series of actions" would be deciphering a messed up hotel information sheet where it's not clear what number you dial for room service and what number you dial to report a maintenance issue and what number....

Shinma likes this.
  5. Bowtirage

First Language:
    English
    Oh that’s a good one. The different channels in the right order could tell it’s own little story. Good idea.

DeviTheHuman likes this.
  6. Bowtirage

First Language:
    English
    The doing something complicated just to get room service is a funny idea I can build off of.

7. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    "Toys", lurid decorations, or other similar objects left around the hotel which will either unlock access to further areas, or trigger traps, depending on where they are placed.

Codes which must be dialed in on old rotary phones.

Locked hotel rooms which can be unlocked from the inside, but must first be accessed through other adjoining rooms, service accessways, vents, etc.