Bowtirage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm working on a horror game based in a creepy love hotel and I'm trying to come up with some puzzle ideas that would fit that theme.
I've had a couple of thoughts but I am stuck. Can anyone help me think of any hotel themed puzzles?

AcosmicDevi

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What about a puzzle where you have to change the channel on a television set in a specific order to unlock a door or puzzle piece? Sort of like a lock combination, except with TV stations.

l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Switch flipping where activating a switch deactivates the ones on either side requiring careful planning to get the right set active.
Floor puzzles where you need to "draw" something by walking over tiles and changing their colors (like drawing a 1 to match up with door 1 and so on).

There is also find an object to replace (good old Resident Evil and it's find gemstones for statues) but those are more like fetch quests then actual puzzles.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
An increasingly complicated series of actions in order to get decent room service. No, not a joke (well, maybe a bit) but an attempt to tie the puzzle into the location. DeviTheHuman's suggestion does that, as hotel rooms do have television, but it's actually quite difficult to think of something which wouldn't equally fit into a monster-infested tower, or whatever. Maybe the "series of actions" would be deciphering a messed up hotel information sheet where it's not clear what number you dial for room service and what number you dial to report a maintenance issue and what number....

Bowtirage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What about a puzzle where you have to change the channel on a television set in a specific order to unlock a door or puzzle piece? Sort of like a lock combination, except with TV stations.
Oh that’s a good one. The different channels in the right order could tell it’s own little story. Good idea.

Bowtirage

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
An increasingly complicated series of actions in order to get decent room service. No, not a joke (well, maybe a bit) but an attempt to tie the puzzle into the location. DeviTheHuman's suggestion does that, as hotel rooms do have television, but it's actually quite difficult to think of something which wouldn't equally fit into a monster-infested tower, or whatever. Maybe the "series of actions" would be deciphering a messed up hotel information sheet where it's not clear what number you dial for room service and what number you dial to report a maintenance issue and what number....
The doing something complicated just to get room service is a funny idea I can build off of.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
"Toys", lurid decorations, or other similar objects left around the hotel which will either unlock access to further areas, or trigger traps, depending on where they are placed.

Codes which must be dialed in on old rotary phones.

Locked hotel rooms which can be unlocked from the inside, but must first be accessed through other adjoining rooms, service accessways, vents, etc.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm very manic-y right now. I didn't sleep and I wanted to get a bunch of stuff done, but didn't get anything done except the bare bones concept for a POSSIBLE game.
And I can't sleep now because I'm probably gonna be hanging out with my brother and I gotta discuss a bunch of BroCoG (our game group) junk with him plus it's far to late to sleep NOW.
poppetQuestBarryApproaches.jpg
While I wait for judging, I decided to start adding more "friends" to my attic. :LZSgrin:

I swear I need a whole sound pack of menacing squeaky toy noises. :kaoswt:
I can't believe I actually managed to stay motivated for the whole Game Jam duration (1 month!), definitely will be taking a break after this :0
can't believe I slept on outer wilds, such an amazing game
Trying to enter ''Downloads'' crashes file explorer ^^ But if i download something online and enter it via the browser it works fine.....Computers...Whaddeya gonnnaa dooo!?:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loki666