GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello all! I had a couple of questions I was hoping to discuss with you beautiful people.

1. Does the idea of collecting furniture to decorate your in game house excite you as a player? Is it a feature you would care about?

2. What would you expect from a house customization mechanic within RM? Does each item have to have its own special interaction or properties? Or can it simply be just a decoration?

3. How would you as a player enjoy obtaining new furniture? Buy it with gold? Earn it from challenges? What would you prefer?

Hoping we can have a discussion about what works and what doesn't with this mechanic, and how we might be able to implement it within RM. Just a friendly reminder that this is not a discussion on how to add the mechanic into your game, but a discussion about how this mechanic affects our players experience.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Fox420x

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
There's a script that lets you do that for Ace. You have to set up the furniture as events on another map for it, but you can use regions for where furniture can be placed.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's a script that lets you do that for Ace. You have to set up the furniture as events on another map for it, but you can use regions for where furniture can be placed.
That's good to know Fox! What kind of features would you be looking for in this type of game? What are some favorite pieces of furniture? How would you like to progress?

I suppose this thread is less on "how to do it" and more a reflection on how it makes our players feel while doing it.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Building a custom house is one of the game aspects I like, however, it is not the building custom layout that matters.

When I build something, I'm roleplaying and it should be reflected by the game mechanic. I build a house, and there's NPC who interact with the object I'm placing. I'm putting this object here so that they (NPC) could have their life easier or something. If it was just me interacting with the custom layout I made, that is just sad, I need some "generated content" that interact with the custom layout I made so I could see how that would be.

And if it less about building a house, but rather, a fortress, I like to experiment by placing my point defense tower or turret at a certain location to intercept the attack then see how it turned out to be.

That is the charm of building a custom house for me.

EDIT:
If this custom layout does not do anything like this, I prefer a fixed placement where I could just grind and buy furniture for the mechanic upgrade (like having furniture x, boost my stat by y), or enable a new system, or just a collection (Skyrim Heartfire DLC, hello?).

Last edited:

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Building a custom house is one of the game aspects I like, however, it is not the building custom layout that matters.

When I build something, I'm roleplaying and it should be reflected by the game mechanic. I build a house, and there's NPC who interact with the object I'm placing. I'm putting this object here so that they (NPC) could have their life easier or something. If it was just me interacting with the custom layout I made, that is just sad, I need some "generated content" that interact with the custom layout I made so I could see how that would be.

And if it less about building a house, but rather, a fortress, I like to experiment by placing my point defense tower or turret at a certain location to intercept the attack then see how it turned out to be.

That is the charm of building a custom house for me.

EDIT:
If this custom layout does not do anything like this, I prefer a fixed placement where I could just grind and buy furniture for the mechanic upgrade (like having furniture x, boost my stat by y), or enable a new system, or just a collection (Skyrim Heartfire DLC, hello?).
I see. So correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's just decorating for the sake of decorating with no extra bonuses for doing it, you're not a fan of it. But if you can interact with the items you place in certain ways either by yourself, with NPCs, or any other method, that's something that you would enjoy?

Thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts on this.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But if you can interact with the items you place in certain ways either by yourself, with NPCs, or any other method, that's something that you would enjoy?
The thing I enjoy/care is the unexpected things that happen and/or has an effect on the game mechanic. If there is none of those and it is purely aesthetic, then I will consider it as a side task and probably won't bother it.

Take the Azur Lane dormitory decoration for example.
The main point of the game is not designing a dorm, but for every furniture, you bought, increase exp for the character that you put there. That is the thing I care about. So, grinding for furniture does matter. Placement? it does not matter, purely aesthetic (you can even scramble the furniture and it is not affecting anything).

If you're bored with the main game, you can enjoy decorating the dorm, but that is all about it. However, at a certain point, the exp boost is maxed and buying furniture is just pretty much for collection and your satisfaction. And up to that point, I skipped buying it entirely, no benefits. Fortunately, the token to buy new furniture is not used in anything else, so collecting other furniture or not does not matter in the end.

EDIT:
Oh also, to add more into the Azur Lane example. The character may randomly walk on the room and interact with many things. While it does not exactly has an effect on the game mechanic, it did create a funny meme and snapshot to share with the AL community (some of them even create a story out of those snapshot). That is one of the example of unexpected things that can happen.

Last edited:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do like customasation in a game and this fallls under that too.

I like for it to make sense as to how one procures the items needed. Furniture could be bought or crafted or even gifted as aa quest reward if that actually makes sense. But not as random loot drops for instance. Beaars do not drop wardrobes no matter how much fantasy your game is lol

As for the use of this I like a combinations of both decorational and functuonal. Some things can be purely cosmetic while others should add something in way of mechanic/story/etc.

On a side note: i like decorational stuff more when it is truly earnned or reflects something I have done/achieved in game. For instance : the wall mounted dragon-head trophy is from an actual dragon I slew and cut their head of rather then bought in a shop.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Ceres-Eris

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A way I know of to implement this in MV would be with use of Yanfly's Event Morph and Event Copy.

Using Event Copy you fill the house with "blank" events which are the slots in which you can place furniture.

Interacting with the slots lets you choose an item and then uses Event Morph to turn into the furniture the item you picked corresponds with. Then to remove it, you would use the remove morph command.

That's how I would implement it. Tell me if there's something I did wrong or if there's a better way.

Edit: I realized you can also use Event Spawn to give the player control of where he can place the slots and therefore also control on where he can place furniture. You can also make the furniture itself movable the same way you'd event a Pokemon Strength Boulder Puzzle.

Last edited:

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Ceres-Eris Please note that this forum is for design, not suggestions for implementation.
Thanks.

Treynor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love things like this. I have a few requirements in order to truly enjoy it.

1. Graphics. I like differentiation. I don't want to buy a different bed only for it to just be a different shade of brown.

2. Functionality. I get that some things are decorative, but non-decorative items like beds, TVs, lamps, etc. should be interactive and functional. Bonus points if they actually do something extra. Example: Better bed = better rest?

3. Pacing and progression. I like things like this to be paced properly. Giving me 54 options in the beginning of the game is overwhelming and I'll only be choosing one of them.

4. Augmentation/Upgrade. If my furniture does functional stuff that'll help me in game, if would be cool if I can augment/upgrade it. This is different from getting a whole new piece of furniture.

5. Synergy. My lamp is cool. It provides +5 to light. My night stand is cool. It provides +4 to storage. When combined they create the legendary Lamp on Night Stand of Al'Zidor which provides +7 to light and +5 to storage. Why more storage? Do not question the will of Al'Zidor.

6. I had a really good one here but I forgot. I'll come back and edit this if I remember later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh, stop with the Melodrama...

...Listen to it instead!

anybody else like getting baked whilst coding?

When you go to the beach watch out for coconuts. Coconuts are more dangerous than sharks. Fact.
Try to get into pixelart again, so far its a sucess.
Also finally found a useful pixeltutorial which helps a lot.
♫ Anyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant, but he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes, he's got high apple pie in the sky hopes ♫

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloo