RMMV House Wars, a simple and depth "arena game".

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by SolonWise, May 11, 2019.

1. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Morning, my friends. Like many other makers around here, I have a lot of ideas for games, but due to lack o time, I cant even try to give life to this ideas. Fortunately, I think I came up with a game idea that do not demand a lot of time to make. I'm thinking in calling this game “House Wars” or “Dojo Wars”. The game will have a system I think a lot of people already tried, but I'm willing to do a more depth design, and at the same time, a short and fun game. Please, hear me out.

• Game Mechanics: The game will have only a city, and in this city the player can find a big arena, with monster and champions to fight. The ultimate goal of the player is do “manage” mercenaries that will fight in this arena, climbing the ladder and, ultimately, becoming the arena champion. The main protagonist will not fight, he (or she) is only the house (or dojo) owner, who needs to recruit mercenaries and train them. He can also send the mercenaries for quests, buy new equipment, maybe forge new ones too, and choose the more suitable team for fight in the arena. I'm thinking in make something like 12 character, each one with their own reasons to join a House (or Dojo), but the player will only be able to recruit 8, depending on his playstile. The fun part (I think) is to train these mercenaries and build up different teams in each new game.

• Changing classes: The mercenaries can change classes and learn new skills in a very simple way, made out only with common events. Each mercenary can unlock all classes, and to learn the skills of each class, all he have to do is to gain levels in the class. These class will have requirements too, in a system based on Final Fantasy Tactics.

• Quests: You can send your mercenaries to do quests. In these, the mercenary can gain bonus in their attributes, find treasures, find new equipments, or even get an injury and lose max HP.

• The arena: I'm thinking the arena can have something like 8 levels, and the player must beat the champion of each level before try the next one. Also, before try to beat the champion of each level, he must win several battles against monsters. The name “House Wars” means that will have rival houses in the game, each one with their own mercenaries, and a mercenary of another house will always be the champion in the arena.
    Like I said, its a simple and short game, but I think it can work. There are nothing new in the game mechanics, and I can use even only RTP graphics. I want to make the game shine by the depth battle system and characters managements. All mercenaries can be any class, but no one will be able to be master in all classes at the same time (simple thing to do: Lets say you need to gain around 6 levels to be master in most classes. If the max level for each mercenary is 50, the player will have to think and plan what path each mercenary will walk. For instance, it will be easy to make a knight learn a cure spell). I also want to make a great story for each mercenary we can recruit. Maybe one will be fighting to earn money and help his family, while other will be fighting only to be famous. I can even create a mercenary who fights to earn the love of a beautiful woman.

The main protagonist will be a silent one, but all mercenaries will talk to him about theirs fears and wishes. The quest system can be depth too, like the ones in the PS1 game “Brigandine”. We send our mercenaries out and they will find adventures of their own. Its possible to do like 100 different ones, and I can make a simple system of success rate. Lets say we need a mercenary of 200 rating to ensure 100% success rate in a mission. We can sum all the attributes of the mercenary to find out his “rating”, so, to have success in more advanced quests, we need to train and equip our fighters very well. I can even make quests that only can be solved by sending more than one mercenary.

I think I already speak too much... What do you guys think? Can a game like this work? I accept all kinds of suggestions, and maybe, in the future and depending on the feedback on this thread, I will make another one in the recruitment forum. Maybe we can do this together. Thanks in advance.

2. Red Metal

Red Metal Metal Head Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey dude.
    Gotta say, I've been thinking about this project a bit as it is kinda similar to mine. I am creating a game based around a card game so the actual game map is quite minimal. I think you can do a lot with a smaller game as you could add tonnes of detail to just a few areas. But areas that constantly change/upgrade as you progress to keep game flow. Key bit of advice though;
    Create the game with a "Home" like feeling, as in, there are areas of the game (if not all) that you enjoy just hanging around in. This can be made by setting the right atmosphere, lighting, music and what not which personally, I crave from games. Some games I've enjoyed recently are simple, yet effective like this.
    Delve into the interests and influences that you enjoy. Don't make the game generic or for others. If this were me, I'd create EVERYTHING from scratch. Since it's a smaller game, maybe RTP stuff would make it feel like another RTP game. But I know it would save time.
    You could really do something with this.
    I like where the theory is going so far but I would add a couple of extra elements to mix it up a bit. Take what I say with a pinch I'm just gonna broaden the spectrum a little;

Suggestion 1 - Add other gladiatorial influences?
    Ever seen Spartacus? Or Gladiator? Or maybe even Fight Club??
    You could add an entirely new style to your RPG by using your favorite interests as a catalyst to re-style your engine... weird I know, but imagine everything you said but with a gritty modern twisted underground theme. Or a blood, sweat, and sand SURVIVAL feel as you live through each day just to keep your limbs. I could go on. Mixing elements are fun but these are my interests. So creating your own could do the desired effect for YOU. AND put your game in a new catagory?
    I'm not saying if you like Pokemon go create a Pokemon game. No no, create one with the things you liked about it. Or just create a Pokemon/something new. Whichever feels good to you.

(MANGRY EAT POKEMON!)
    (sorry, I really don't like pokemon...soorrry)

Suggestion 2 - Add in other games in your game?
    Like my project, It is always good to kick back and do something else, yeah even more homey. Coz nothing is more home like in a game than a game where you have loads to do... so you decide to waste the day playing pool! Yeah GTA fans, lookin at youo_O
    A "minigame" or whatever does not have to "feel" like a game though if you catch me driftin?
    Think about things like farming or day to day chores, sparring, arguements, all the while mixing in in depth story. A game like this cannot be too simple as even you would just get bored after a while of figuring out the structure. Bend the structure dude. Bend it... But again, don't take these suggestions so literal. Enhanced event structure and unpredictable game flow with "things on the side" that you can do sums it up.

Good luck with your other projects too.

SolonWise likes this.
  3. SolonWise

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, @Red85Metal. Thanks for the reply. Less than a week after I created this thread, I started my One Map Challenge with this idea. I simplified some of my initial ideas, but I think it's becoming a good game. Now, we don't own a house anymore, it's just a character (not a gladiator) who comes to a city willing to challenge the Valiant Arena for personal reasons. In town (the only map), the player can recruit mercenaries, buy and upgrade weapons, buy items, make relics and do some quests, besides fight in the arena. It will be a simple fantasy setting game, with mages, knights and archers. Sometimes I'd wish I could use more than 10 variables, to make the game more depth, but I decided to do everything I can sticking with the challenge rules. There are 10 events, and 7 of them are complete and totally funtional, so once I finish the last three I think a can post a demo of even the complete version of the game.

I like your suggestions, and I always try to make games thinking in my own interests and influences. I think I would make games even if I was sure no one but me was going to play it. I know it's not very professional, but I'm not very good in earning money anyways. :D

Your suggestion 2 describes a lot of things I would like to make in a game like this. It's what I call "single player MMO RPG", where we can do everything a MMORPG allows to, but playing a single game made with RPG Maker. It's an idea I will keep for the future. From now, I have two projects to finish and I hope I can resist the urge to start a third project.

Once again, thanks for you reply.

4. Red Metal

Red Metal Metal Head Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SolonWise Not a problem dude, rather than just suggest usual ideas I try to throw some from a wider angle. Sometimes a completely different perspective can open up new pathways. S o I give you my opinions, yet generalize and randomize them to cater for different mindsets. Like I say, take with a pinch.

Your theory seems solid enough and I love that you concentrate on your own interests and design for yourself. I will definitely be taking a peek at your work as I think it could help when it comes to my own base structure. Multiple minds work better than one.

Keep us posted man. :rock-left:

SolonWise likes this.
  5. SolonWise

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Red85Metal Good! I will send you a message once I publish my one map game. I'm sure you will have ideas to make it better. Long life for metal! :rock-left:

Red Metal likes this.
  6. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This does have some potential and I for one am curious where you'll take it :)

SolonWise likes this.
  7. SepulcherGeist

SepulcherGeist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Something about this reminds me of the Spartacus Legends Xbox Live Arcade Game. I loved that game, but it got taken down.

8. SolonWise

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV