How are weapon graphics supposed to work in the battle system?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by SWAMPFOOT9000, Oct 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SWAMPFOOT9000

SWAMPFOOT9000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I know they can't be icons, since the icons are just kind of blocks. However, I don't see anything in the weapons tab that seems like it would change some kind of graphic...

[​IMG]

Perhaps it's in the new "Types" tab?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nobody has seen that part yet. I don't know if it will be featured in the remaining videos.

You will know in 2 days :)

Zeriab likes this.
  3. Hoppy

Hoppy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've been wondering about this as well since I have a tendency to have unsual and unorthodox weapons in past projects (like buckets and frying pans) maybe it's tied to animations which would make things easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  4. Mikuri

Mikuri Princess Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I also use weird weapons, so I'll be waiting to see this part :p

But it's probably in the Types tab or another tab. You would set like Sword and the coresponding animation for sword. And so on with Axes ans such. To me it looks like how they would make it. ^^"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No
    Go to the product page http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-mv

Scroll down to the screenshots below "Battle System Modes"

Zoom in on the screenshot half-hidden behind the sideview picture "Titania casts..."

That is the only screenshot that I know of that shows the weapon assignments.

6. Baka-chan

Baka-chan ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆ Veteran

First Language:
    German
    As seen in another video the weapon animation is set in the system page of the database. Even the way it animates can be changed there (swing/thrust/missile).

[​IMG]

Carde and SWAMPFOOT9000 like this.
  7. Mikuri

Mikuri Princess Veteran

First Language:
    French
    It is in system after all, but works like I said :)

8. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This looks really cool

9. SWAMPFOOT9000

SWAMPFOOT9000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Noice

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10. McTone

McTone This Guy Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yay! Reminds me of how RM2003 worked a little.

Looks like there's just a few weapon "types", but it would be pretty cool if we could make as many types as we like. That way an individual graphic could be used for each weapon (by giving each weapon it's own type). I imagine someone will make something happen with this before too much longer. 

11. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am exited for this

McTone likes this.
  12. Carde

Carde Degibeta Team Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Why do you think you can't change the icons for the weapons? The little icon button right there next to the item name looks like it can be clicked to change it same as Ace and I assume all of the other Makers.

13. Zenshio

Zenshio Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Nobody said that. OP just said that Weapon Icons are obviously not the graphic used to display weapons in battle.

SWAMPFOOT9000 likes this.
  14. Elemental Crisis

Elemental Crisis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    From what I've seen so far, you can only have 30 different weapon graphics. I guess you'll need a plugin if you want more than that.

15. Jory4001

Jory4001 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is a little disapointing. I was kind of hoping I could make a new weapon graphic for each weapon, instead of weapon type. Even making as many attack motions as I have weapons and assigning them each would be an acceptable work around but if you can only have 30 Attack motions....

I would just like the user to be able to distinguish between an Iron sword from a Steel sword from a Unique or Elemental sword ect. within the battle screen. Such aesthetic things can really flesh out a game.

30 seems far too few, 100 would be acceptable to have 1 base graphic and 4 elemental graphics for 20 different weapon types, 300-500 would be ideal to allow for more elemental types, special weapons, and material types. (Wouldnt add too much to file size either 25-50kbs/file, about 25 mbs total for 500 weapon graphics)

I would love to see a plugin to extend this, and might even try to make one myself.

quynhessence likes this.
  16. Siskan

Siskan Villager Member

First Language:
    Swedish
    Since you can select motions there, I guess the weapons' animations are automated?

What if I want to use a spritesheet so that I can create every frame by hand? Would it require a plugin?

17. Baka-chan

Baka-chan ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆ Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Since something like the weapon animation is already built-in inside MV it shouldn't take long until someone comes up with a plugin to extend it, using notetags to decide with spritesheet to use.

It's already using a spritesheet with 3 graphics used for the animation of a weapon.

18. Siskan

Siskan Villager Member

First Language:
    Swedish
    So the selected motions just automatically decide where those three graphics would be positioned on the screen during their respective frames then?

19. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Lol his general knowledge of the RPG Maker programs them selves is laughably bad, but atleast he admits to such. Although he does seem to have a pretty solid understanding of system design, so atleast he has that going for him.

Well page condition option format still sucks lol, but no surprise there.

Now the face generator, although we can tell really how they compare to the RTP faces, is clearly a million times better then then atrocious abomination that got passed off as a face generator in Ace. I would really love to see more of the character generator in MV, hell it "may" be worth owning even just for that alone.

Now the next upside is really major, and shows off how stupid NDAs are for utility programs like this.  It doesn't only have a extra layer for mapping, it has auto layering. That's a big deal, to do that with a specific tile in Ace, you need to have the same tile allocated to different slots(which at the end of the day, means you have one less slot to place a unique tileset into)

It's good that they added options to remove various Menu commands, since it doesn't seem like we have access to any of the base source code for the game's defaults like we had in Ace. Hopefully someone will make a menu manager plugin for MV, but I suppose atleast this would help those not really knowledgeable with scripting(since menu manager scripts or whatnot, don't tend to be user friendly)

Why Enterbrain created a change profile command, I will never know, the whole default profile system is pretty useless anyway(we all know people are going to be using Yanfly's Message plugin to make real profiles, and such anyway), they could of put the effort into adding something that would be useful instead.

I wish we got a look at the game data variable options, and a better look at the feature sub options.

I hope a 30 day trial is made available for MV.

SWAMPFOOT9000 likes this.
  20. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    According to that screenshot, all swords will look the same in the battles then? If that's true, that's a pretty big let down.

DarknessFalls and SOC like this.