Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know im asking for for someone to make a joke out of this though,

making a game around a story/ game I have made already, with a very large world, several in fact, it is better to say solar system,
now I have started making the game maps already, though im thinking should I restart the maps, mainly as I want to parallax everything,
b4 I do though, I wanted to ask someone in the no,

how big is too big with maps, for example, my main human city is 92/78 and I have it already split into 3 maps, the main part of It is the 92/78 and that's not even including the underground, slums, crypts and mountain,

so, am I making this map too big? should I brake it up into smaller, say 50/50 maps or leave it the size it is,
I seem to remember that I was having issues b4 parallaxing maps this big though and I want to brake up the square nature of rpgmaker, I could simply just make custom round tiles though parallax seems more fun, and cleaner, (I don't like the look of repeating tile sets, ie grass)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it depends on target computers and deployment type.

in general, any good and current computer should have few problems with parallax maps of up to 100x100 tiles.
if you have an older computer as a target, you should put the limit at 50x50
if you have mobile devices as a target (which have very limited RAM), then your maximum parallax map should be around 20x20 tiles.

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it depends on target computers and deployment type.

in general, any good and current computer should have few problems with parallax maps of up to 100x100 tiles.
if you have an older computer as a target, you should put the limit at 50x50
if you have mobile devices as a target (which have very limited RAM), then your maximum parallax map should be around 20x20 tiles.

while I would like to target mobiles I think the game would be too big in the first place for that, my current thoughts on size alone is that there is just too much content for a phone if I want to keep all the areas in, not to mention the other worlds, so pretty sure that locks me out of phones, though in that I have so many storys for this game that are character specific, so that I should be able to make a much smaller game using the same but cut down world,

as for computer targets, I didn't really think much about that, at most I was thinking on the lines of my laptop (I do want to publish this game more so as my viewers on twitch that want to get it) as for my laptop, it is pretty old, being Hp elitebook 8570p think it came out around 2013, though it has 8gb of ram now, so im pretty sure that is a low point for pc target?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
with 8 GB of RAM it should be able to handle parallaxes that go nearly up to 100x100 - and it's the RAM that is the limit for parallaxed maps.
Just for your info: A parallaxed map needs about 3000-4000 times the RAM of a tiled map. And no, that is no joke - tilesets were developed exactly to reduce the memory requirement of background pictures.
In regular tiled maps even the oldest computers have few problems going up to 500x500, the limit to 250 was mainly introduced for mobile deployment.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wouldn't go over 40x40 personally.
My friend has a desktop super computer (64GB RAM) and we can see very minor stuttering at 80x80 and my gaming laptop (32GB RAM) will see the same minor stuttering on 60x60 maps.

An important note, we use a lot of background processes though with spawning enemies on maps and NPCs with custom day/night cycles so I'm sure this plays a role.

*Edit*
I would also highly recommend grabbing the program found in this thread because I have one city map that is 100 x 50 and it can sometimes crash the editor just going into the map (not in game). But with that program it fixes the issue.

Oatilis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
I know im asking for for someone to make a joke out of this though,

making a game around a story/ game I have made already, with a very large world, several in fact, it is better to say solar system,
now I have started making the game maps already, though im thinking should I restart the maps, mainly as I want to parallax everything,
b4 I do though, I wanted to ask someone in the no,

how big is too big with maps, for example, my main human city is 92/78 and I have it already split into 3 maps, the main part of It is the 92/78 and that's not even including the underground, slums, crypts and mountain,

so, am I making this map too big? should I brake it up into smaller, say 50/50 maps or leave it the size it is,
I seem to remember that I was having issues b4 parallaxing maps this big though and I want to brake up the square nature of rpgmaker, I could simply just make custom round tiles though parallax seems more fun, and cleaner, (I don't like the look of repeating tile sets, ie grass)

I started with huge and ambitious maps - I didn't mind the work it would take to make them all nice with parallax mapping. Bigger maps mean a lot of content in each map, and I was OK with that as well. Having a big map can have its own advantages.

However, the more you progress you make in development, you begin to realize that big maps have shortcomings which aren't immediately obvious. You should be aware of this before deciding on using oversized maps.

• First and foremost, eventing can become much more difficult. If you have a huge map there will probably be a lot of things going on. Altering your maps becomes more tedious and you can easily introduce bugs or dig traps for yourself.
  • RPG Maker will definitely start slowing down if you have tons of events in your map (not talking about parallel processes, just event count on the map).
  • The parallax maps are a lot bigger, use more memory when playing, and can contribute to worse performance.
  • It might be better to use smaller maps which are more focused, easier to understand by the player, and easier to change. This purely depends on your ability as a game designer. You can make big maps focused and easy to understand, but it isn't trivial.
  • If by any chance you will want to redo the map (and you will), it's going to be a daunting and exhausting task. Make no mistake: after playtesting, you will realize that you can improve your maps, some of which you will end up redoing from the ground up (if not most of them).

Finally, what I've realized is you can look at maps like small modules in your gameplay or story. Like chapters in a book maybe. You can create huge modules, but it will almost always be better for you as a developer, and for the player, if you focused on smaller maps and made them great. Like chapters in a book, it's not about the length of each chapter (or amount of content in each map) but the quality of your content and the way they all connect to tell a bigger story.

As for me, I refactored my maps quite drastically since I started out. Some of them are still fairly big, but now I am more mindful of creating focused, understandable maps rather than just have huge maps just because.

I hope this helps!

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
with 8 GB of RAM it should be able to handle parallaxes that go nearly up to 100x100 - and it's the RAM that is the limit for parallaxed maps.
Just for your info: A parallaxed map needs about 3000-4000 times the RAM of a tiled map. And no, that is no joke - tilesets were developed exactly to reduce the memory requirement of background pictures.
In regular tiled maps even the oldest computers have few problems going up to 500x500, the limit to 250 was mainly introduced for mobile deployment.
so if I was to take the slowest laptop on the market currently, say a i3, 4gb, the lowest standard laptop I can find, that would give me a limit of around 50x50 or 75x75, depending on the size of the parallaxed map,

I have little issues with making several maps for a single city, if im keeping to smaller maps then it should be a lighter load on the computer, though given that using some of the assets that I have, currently, any smaller then 50x50 would just be too small, for example a castle that I have right now is filling almost half the available space not including space behind the castle I would think 20x20 would be more suited for say a platform game,
just been testing out the size of 20x20 with the largest asset I have, currently, just feels too small for a adventure game, thinking 50x50 is the smallest I would go,

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 3

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started with huge and ambitious maps - I didn't mind the work it would take to make them all nice with parallax mapping. Bigger maps mean a lot of content in each map, and I was OK with that as well. Having a big map can have its own advantages.

However, the more you progress you make in development, you begin to realize that big maps have shortcomings which aren't immediately obvious. You should be aware of this before deciding on using oversized maps.

• First and foremost, eventing can become much more difficult. If you have a huge map there will probably be a lot of things going on. Altering your maps becomes more tedious and you can easily introduce bugs or dig traps for yourself.
  • RPG Maker will definitely start slowing down if you have tons of events in your map (not talking about parallel processes, just event count on the map).
  • The parallax maps are a lot bigger, use more memory when playing, and can contribute to worse performance.
  • It might be better to use smaller maps which are more focused, easier to understand by the player, and easier to change. This purely depends on your ability as a game designer. You can make big maps focused and easy to understand, but it isn't trivial.
  • If by any chance you will want to redo the map (and you will), it's going to be a daunting and exhausting task. Make no mistake: after playtesting, you will realize that you can improve your maps, some of which you will end up redoing from the ground up (if not most of them).

Finally, what I've realized is you can look at maps like small modules in your gameplay or story. Like chapters in a book maybe. You can create huge modules, but it will almost always be better for you as a developer, and for the player, if you focused on smaller maps and made them great. Like chapters in a book, it's not about the length of each chapter (or amount of content in each map) but the quality of your content and the way they all connect to tell a bigger story.

As for me, I refactored my maps quite drastically since I started out. Some of them are still fairly big, but now I am more mindful of creating focused, understandable maps rather than just have huge maps just because.

I hope this helps!

thank you that helps quite a bit, I am thinking smaller maps even if I have to break down larger areas into say districts, (ie, main city in my story has a upper class, lower class, and slums, this is not including the cathedral or the castle, let alone one of the main focus's of the story the world tree they have the city built around)

given that this story is limitless I do want to make the world as big as possible, though im constructing the world section by section, and will probably be releasing it in chapters or story specific parts, but after I have so many made I want to be able to release the a full game

im thinking now though I don't want to release too many "demo's"
anyway, main project for now with it is making the world, as I will have several games based in the same world,

Oatilis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
Best of luck :thumbsup-left:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game
This scene was suppose to be a test... but now, it's going in the game as official side/optional content. :kaosalute:

functionality(This is function demo not game demo)
1 The door of ABS map can open upon clearing all the monsters
2 Secret room/road arrow/lighting/whatever others can be shown upon clearing too
3 Boss HP bar and loot effect, loot jump and item name color as well as the pick-up animation effect
4 Back to town and "victory aftermath" screen for ABS maps/rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiniM00ni