JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The question is not very complete. What do you need help balancing with? Battle? Quests? Storyline? Items and gear? Leveling your maps?

Well, for all of it (only not for stories) counts:
The further you get in your game, the stronger everything should be. The first enemy should be easy to defeat but for the last boss you should need high stats and the best gear.

The key to balancing is playing your game over and over again. When you make a new scene, play it. Is it too easy? Make it harder. Too hard? Make it easier.

I wish there would be an easy way, but trying out a lot and then tweaking is the only real answer I know.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
balancing is basically managing uncountable details, and we can't really help without being given those details.

for example if you want to balance battles you need to first define how you want the battles to be, and then start with spreadsheets containing all battledata and mathematical formulae to compare them.

Ahuramazda

The Last Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Trial and error.

If you feel like your damage numbers are too small, increase offensive stats or lower defenses.
If they are already too big, lower offensive stats or increase defenses.

Without knowing more there really is no way to answer this question as to WHAT part of the game you're looking to balance. There is no magical one-fix-for-all solution to balancing.

coyotecraft

Mythographer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is just a theory of mine. But I generally see a character level as a distribution of 12pts across their 6 parameters. That's based off Rpg Maker's moderate growth curves.
So with monsters, as a rough guestimate, you can add up their stat points: atk, def, ect... and then divide by 12. So you have some idea of what the monster's level is, even though they don't technically have levels.

So if you're creating an area with "level 20" encounters, then a good place to start is with a distribution of 240pts to the enemy stats. I think "balance" just means "evenly matched".
With HP, you might just take the party's HP total and divide it across the number of enemies in the troop. If you have 4 party members with 500HP each then that might be a enemy troop of
2 enemies with 1000hp each, or 6 enemies with ~350hp each.

mobiusclimber

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing to think about is what kinds of battles you're going for. A game with numerous random battles should be easier in individual battles than a game where you have a few evented battles. In the first case, the fights are meant to wear down the player, whereas in the second case, the fight is meant to take several rounds and the strategy comes from getting through the battle rather than getting from point A to point B without dying, if that makes sense. It's easiest to balance a game with evented battles since you generally know how many enemies the player will face, so you'll know what level they'll be at. With random battles, you just have to try to make it so if they're at the level you think they should be at, then each battle should only take a couple of rounds to complete. If they spent a lot of time grinding, oh well. Unless you want your game to be grind-heavy, don't try to make random battles jump up in difficulty all the time, just gradually rise with the player's level and equipment.

Ahuramazda

The Last Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Considering I use random battles in my game @mobiusclimber has the right of it, you have to use a slow and steady power creep as the game progresses based around about how powerful the player may be at the point in the game.

I have 5 different builds a player can use when playing my game, so I have to test each build and if any of them feel too weak I'll adjust stats accordingly until all 5 builds are within 2 hits of each other on enemy kill speed.

I always test in the best gear from the previous areas shops (since loot found in the world is random and cannot fully be accounted for while shop items are static) as if they were coming into the newer area properly prepared.
If a player gets lucky and finds a really good weapon/armor early and makes the game too easy that is where you might want to consider adding in a difficulty option to the game to help boost how hard (or easy) it can be for the player... but don't auto-adjust difficulty! Let the player decide if they want to become a God early or stay as a peasant longer. :D

fishdogcat

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
trial and error.
If you can code, set up a test suites and try battles using a tool like selenium and see if it makes sense

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
have a basic idea of what your damages should be in a prototype phase. If you want low roll damages early on then you'll need to reduce curves and stats of everything including mobs etc.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Clarn Hold
(No storylines)
There was a tutorial on how to draw anime eyes. Just draw Among Us. So I tried.
Screenshot_107.jpg
DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymouss