DankEspresso

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hello, I am currently working on a RPG project and I am trying to figure out how to change the battle UI. The battle UI currently looks the basic RPG Maker UI, but I want to change the sprites to look more like earthbound, (shown bellow):
1617297965832.png

Earthbound is also famous for it's wavy animated battle backgrounds, so if anyone knows how to make an animated battle background please let me know as well.

I looked through the files in the project folder, and I could not find any of the basic sprites to edit/change.

Please let me know how I can change the graphics in the UI, I would appreciate it a lot.

Also if anyone knows how to change their pfp on the forum account that would be great lol

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the battlescreen is not created from pictures, it is created by programming instructions.
so you have to replace code in the script editor of RMXP to change the battlesystem.

unfortunately the scripting of XP is a bit of a mess because that was the first ever maker that used scripts with public access, and the editor is extremely old so that there aren't many scripters around that can write those scripts.

you can check the remaining script repositories for RMXP if there is any old script that creates a battlescreen you like - if not you'll probably have to pay someone to write such a script for you, and that won't be cheap. Full Battlescripts start at 100$ and can easily reach several thousands depending on what you want.

DankEspresso

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
the battlescreen is not created from pictures, it is created by programming instructions.
so you have to replace code in the script editor of RMXP to change the battlesystem.

unfortunately the scripting of XP is a bit of a mess because that was the first ever maker that used scripts with public access, and the editor is extremely old so that there aren't many scripters around that can write those scripts.

you can check the remaining script repositories for RMXP if there is any old script that creates a battlescreen you like - if not you'll probably have to pay someone to write such a script for you, and that won't be cheap. Full Battlescripts start at 100$ and can easily reach several thousands depending on what you want.
Oh, so changing the looks in the battle system can't be done by using/making sprites?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no
the boxes you see aren't sprites, only the enemies on the screen are.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know what you mean by changing the sprites to look more like they look in Earthbound. If you just want to change the enemy images, then it's just a change to the graphic in that folder. Same with the battle background, if it's just a static image. But if you want to change the appearance of the windows or text, or animate the background or the sprites, then you will need a script.

Can you clarify which of the above you're after, and this can be moved.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

would i get in trouble if i didn't take out the computer icons on my fake computer screen i had Discord, Messanger, and rpg maker up
Auto-Adjust Text Outline, Run Common Events on Transfer | RPG Maker News #111

I sweep the floor. My brother, "You didn't do a good job. There are dust bunnies everywhere." He sweeps the floor weeks later. "I just swept. Why are there dust bunnies everywhere?" Me," Guess you didn't do a good enough job."
Today, I tortured my internet by downloading 20 files at once and then I played a guessing game as to which would finish their download first :kaojoy:
Oh god, just watched HawkZombie's stream of my game and realised that *none* of the branching scenes work properly. One has no character graphic, one soft locks due to a passability issue, and one doesn't have its autorun set to the right trigger. I've got first prize in the bag, baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shadow1818