How can I create an RPG game that's not Undertale?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by gmestanley, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Frozen_Phoenix

Frozen_Phoenix Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I may be wrong because I gave up on mmorpgs a while ago, but every new mmo then was a wow style themepark in which you just grind to max level while doing shallow quests (kill x monsters, pick y items etc), nothing like tibia, ultima or runescape (back when it was good). Would love a game like EVE, but with a fantasy theme.

I'm no expert on this, but I think marketing is more important the game itself if you're selling it. So don't be discouraged by the success of other games, if your game is enjoyable and you advertise it enough, it will do well.

2. RogdagoR

RogdagoR Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Black Desert is the way!

Aniway i think like the others here, just focus on what YOU wanto to show in your game and don't mind kids that doesn't even take arguments on their critics, those are just hollow words.

3. wafflebatter

wafflebatter Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    If this is genuinely what you believe or what you think a single other person believes, you shouldn't make RPGs at all.

Most people don't care about Undertale in the slightest. Many people think that Undertale is a pile of garbage. If you really do believe Undertale is something unique or special, then you're flat-out ignorant about the history of RPGs anyway.

So if you really think everyone wants games that are just like a Mother/EarthBound ripoff with a terribly-done pacifism anvil, maybe you should rethink making RPGs because you don't know anything about RPGs or what RPG players want.

4. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I haven't played Undertale, but from what I've seen, it's not really what it's cracked up to be. Why should you care whether or not your game is like it? If your game does turn out to be a bit like Undertale, it doesn't matter. See, people have a funny way of things. When something is even mildly alike to something they enjoy, they pick out every little detail that's similar. But, when you say that whatever they enjoy is just like something else, they get all defensive and deny it, no matter how similar it actually is. That is because they refuse to admit they enjoy a copy of something, especially when that copy is of something they don't like as much. But, to quote TED Talks here, everything is a remix. So don't bother with everyone else shooting your game down, bother with why you WANT to make your game.  

taarna23 likes this.
  5. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I, uh, really think you overestimate how much Undertale will change the rpg-scene and that is all I am going to say about that. But I think the people here have shown you some much needed encouragement. Best of luck in your game-making endeavours. 

gmestanley likes this.
  6. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

All comedy aside, let me tell you a sad fact:

I was on these other boards last month, the boards where the engine to make this game has it's home, and an influx of people came and asked: "I want to make an RPG just like Undertale, but different. How can I do this using XX:X engine? And the answer was: "Don't use this engine, use RPG Maker - and make a "REAL" RPG. The dev that made undertale couldn't. So he made this, Because he could. Nothing new here, game XYZ did it better."  So...

What you can take away from this is simple: It's a flavor of the month. Yes, it's hot and awesome right now. Wait a while. Opinions on this game will change over time. Most people gave the dev props. But he never came back. So, his game was deconstructed by long-time users and has actually been 'reconceptualized' during a 3 day jam. A 3 DAY JAM! So, what you want to do, if your serious about development, is to forget about the game - take the mechanics that interest you and deconstruct them, learn WHY it's interesting - then make your own game. Whether it changes gaming history or is known as the "Plan 9 From Outer Space-of-gaming" doesn't matter much at this point. The thing is - LEARN AND DO. Other than that, I can't help you. Good luck! :)

HexMozart88 likes this.
  7. atasuke10

atasuke10 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For me undertale isn't a template to go by when creating and rpg because in that case it would be way too limited. Undertales appeal for me is its parodying rpgs while having really good immersing tools. Its good inspiration in a lot of aspects like character creation, player interaction (PUZZLES!!!!) and immersion but as an rpg i wouldn't call it an inspiration. It's an inspiration for us more becase you don't need to be triple A to make a good game that people like and less because its an "Rpg". if you can look at it as just a game that tells its own story with its own agendas, its good, but I don't think putting undertale and Rpgs on the same spectrum is fair.