How Can I Make a Help Button in the Menu That Updates Via Switches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The A-ster

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me elaborate. I am making a "Help Book" in my game that essentially acts as a tutorial guide in case you forget controls and mechanics. I don't want every tutorial available at the start, but rather to come in with each time a switch is activated. For instance, early in the game, it will have a single option, "Houses," as well as a "Close" option. After you unlock the next thing, it updates you saying that you have a new tutorial in the Help Book and, upon opening it, you see "Houses" and "Schools." It's simple enough being said, but when I make the initial choice function and then add a conditional branch that adds another choice (Just adding the choice, not re-writing the same thing), it doesn't add the new choice. I also have HIME's "Large Choices" plugin activated.

How can I make it to where, when you learn of something new and it says that you have something new in the book, it adds that choice without having to get TOO complicated?

Many thanks!

mathmaster74

just...John
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The A-ster Are you using Yanfly's Quest plugin? You could turn it into an effective "Help Book" that gives the player direction on what to do next and shows them what they've completed for reminders of how to do things. My first quest in my game is "Open the Backlog", so you can definitely use it as a tutorial/help tool and you can even give the player the incentive of rewards for quest completion. :wink: Oh...and yes...the Quest option appears on the Main Menu in game. So just let the player know that Quest = Help. :smile:

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't mind using a few more plugins and making it a separate menu. Use Yanfly's Common Event Menu plugin to set up menus that list stuff and use switches to reveal and hide list options. If you want to show that the player has a new option to look at without using a message box, then I recommend using Yanfly's Gab Window to show a message without pausing the game play.

The A-ster

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't mind using a few more plugins and making it a separate menu. Use Yanfly's Common Event Menu plugin to set up menus that list stuff and use switches to reveal and hide list options. If you want to show that the player has a new option to look at without using a message box, then I recommend using Yanfly's Gab Window to show a message without pausing the game play.
Yeah, I actually used the Gab Window plugin to notify they had something available in the book. What I am trying to do is this (I didn't get it to work, I simulated it)

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

However, I will try that suggestion you gave! :)

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Nothing better than commissioning art and it turns out like 500% better than you could ever have imagined!
Today we reveal new plugins and tools!
Ugh. Some days you're the car... and some days you're the road.
Highly opinionated world-building mapping
Working on an audio engine plugin for MZ! Check this out with your sound on (preferably stereo sound too). Multiple BGM and BGS channels and spatial audio (volume and panning)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurenzTheZero