GlorShmi

A title.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
NOTE: when I say Kill Quest i mean to kill an enemy for the NPC(quest giver) and after killing them getting the reward.

Hello everyone im also pretty new to RPG Maker VX Ace and i have been stuck in one problem for a pretty long time now that i cant figure out how to fix it. so first of all what Im trying to do is to make a Kill Quest for the NPC(Event) I created well when I try to make it the problem is that the quest of the enemy i need to kill is not specific for example: The quest is "go and kill two thieves" and when i call also any other monster I put on the map it will still make the quest completed even tho I wanted to make it only to kill thieves and not everything else, and there is another problem in that that when I try to make the quest specific the event wont get what I did and always even when I tried to write Variables,Conditional Branches It still wont work :( I tried searching all night for the solution to that and everything wont work for me.... So if anyone here could guide me how to do it (Preferably with Screenshots if thats possible) im still kinda new to the program so i may wont get 100% what you wrote me if you guided me through chat. If anyone could help i will thank him/her so much becuase it struggles me for a long time now.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're new to the program, stick to the things you can do and once you learn better, go to the more complicated things. There's no point in telling you now how to do it, because in case you want to somehow tweak it later, but don't understand it, will only make things complicated.
But I'll give you one tip... The easiest method involves only switches, a basic feature of RPG maker engine.

GlorShmi

A title.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you're new to the program, stick to the things you can do and once you learn better, go to the more complicated things. There's no point in telling you now how to do it, because in case you want to somehow tweak it later, but don't understand it, will only make things complicated.
But I'll give you one tip... The easiest method involves only switches, a basic feature of RPG maker engine.
Perhaps you are right... I just thought these kinds of quests seems more simple then also bringing an item back for example but.. I guess i should stick with the Fetch Quests for now.
and I tried many ways of switches to the kill quest that I tried to make and It always seemed not to work for me... so I came here o try and figure a way to fix this but now I know its more advanced as you said and I shouldn't be sticking to the same thing for a long time.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@GlorShmi Actually, it's quite straightforward.
If you have a look at Andar's compilation of info for new users, (well worth working through in its own right, as it will save you a huge amount of time in the future), you will find a link to a tutorial for Variable and Switches.

What you do is put a Variable switch (name it, so that you don't accidentally use it for something else as well) on the thieves' battle events, and each time one is killed, you add 1 to the variable. Then when the party checks back with the NPC who gave the quest, you do a conditional check.
Is the variable 2 or more?
If yes, then do stuff
If no, then do other stuff.

GlorShmi

A title.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@GlorShmi Actually, it's quite straightforward.
If you have a look at Andar's compilation of info for new users, (well worth working through in its own right, as it will save you a huge amount of time in the future), you will find a link to a tutorial for Variable and Switches.

What you do is put a Variable switch (name it, so that you don't accidentally use it for something else as well) on the thieves' battle events, and each time one is killed, you add 1 to the variable. Then when the party checks back with the NPC who gave the quest, you do a conditional check.
Is the variable 2 or more?
If yes, then do stuff
If no, then do other stuff.
I really appriciate your help! but.. unfortenatly to me im a person that udnerstand thige fully when someone is very specific about what they say escpically when im learning new stuff so if you could be more specific and tell me how many events to make, in what page event i need to put the variables and what kind of variable is it ("conditional branch variable" or just "control variable") and also lastly what type of variable (Set,Add,Sub,Mul,Div,Mod)
If i could get every specific information about what i said I will be very thankful! :D
and also thats why i prefered screenshots... because then i could see what other people did 100% accurate and specific.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Follow Andar's tutorial recommendations. Understanding switches is one of the basis for advancing. You probably wont find one exactly for your needs, but you will gain insight and understand how to do it yourself. It's like the give a man a fish old saying.

I cant give you screenshot or chat guidance but basically, you need to create battle events involving thieves, have them triggered some way by the player, and when won each battle will increase a variable called like "thieves killed" by 1.

The quest giver will use conditional branch in dialogue options to check the value of the variable "thieves killed" and react accordingly, eg if inferior to 2 tells "keep questing" and ends the conversation and if equal or superior to 2 then give reward and complete quest.

Try to find the options that would let you do that and if you struggle, use tutorials.

I also personnaly recommend you @Dreadshadow's game on switches. It really is a good start.

Good journey on the path.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you follow the link I suggested, the tutorial is a playable one, so you learn by doing, and seeing very precisely how the switches are used. It's the next best thing to having someone in the room talking it through with you.
The event tutorial Niten Ichi Ryu is referring to is also a playable one.

GlorShmi

A title.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you follow the link I suggested, the tutorial is a playable one, so you learn by doing, and seeing very precisely how the switches are used. It's the next best thing to having someone in the room talking it through with you.
The event tutorial Niten Ichi Ryu is referring to is also a playable one.[/Q
This will be checked soon and when It will work so I will tell you :D
Thanks alot for the link!

GlorShmi

A title.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Kes @Niten Ichi Ryu
After all the time I tried to find a solution I finally did!
these are what I did n order to make it work:
1) On the Thief himself that I need to kill for the quest.
NPC event.png
2) The Whole quest scene (from the first time i talked with the Quest giver till the quest completion)
Whole quest.png
Thanks you all for the help! Its now very easy for me what to do :D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@GlorShmi
your events still contain errors.
For example it doesn't matter if the player wins or escapes the thief battle, he'll always get the reward. That is what the two branches "if win" and "if escape" on the battle processing are for, if you want the reward only on winning the commands need to go into the "if win" part.

And there are several things (like the variable condition) that will work, but that indicate that you didn't really understand how conditions work - because that condition will always be true, so you can repeatedly kill the thieves as often as you want, always receiving the messages

GlorShmi

A title.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@GlorShmi
your events still contain errors.
For example it doesn't matter if the player wins or escapes the thief battle, he'll always get the reward. That is what the two branches "if win" and "if escape" on the battle processing are for, if you want the reward only on winning the commands need to go into the "if win" part.

And there are several things (like the variable condition) that will work, but that indicate that you didn't really understand how conditions work - because that condition will always be true, so you can repeatedly kill the thieves as often as you want, always receiving the messages
i understand now, thanks for telling me how to fix it tbh i didnt notice till now that the event has errors and now I see it
I will try and fix this :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Firefox pointed me to a little inspiration: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/writers-maps

So, I shared. :D
To be released 2021/10/21
Now that I made this "What the MZ RTP is missing" spreadsheet it's itching me to fill some the gaps D:
Aaaaand I completely forgot about the RMMV Chicken Rave my brother decided to implement in a parody of my VERY FIRST UNFINISHED project. We could not escape the chicken rave... The chickens would block the ladder...
I love how I can look up a problem I'm having with my game, find a post from like six years ago that addresses the issue, and the solution provided still works in RPG Maker.
It's times like those that my life feels really easy XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majinludde