OverTheWay

Starts making games but never finishes them
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys!
So I will start work on a game in RPGMaker MV in which you play as a boy which can talk to ghosts and go into the spirit realms. From there you can capture ghosts and then put them into people.
But, my question is:
Is there any way to make the game remember which ghosts I captured and when I select possess on a person, show me a list of the ghosts I have and if I don't have any ghosts tell me I don't own any? I know it's a weird idea but I really want to do yet I don't know how.
I was thinking that a way would be by making some items which you obtain when you capture a ghost, then if you have that item it would appear on the possess list somehow, though I don't know how to do that either! So how can I make a selection system? Is there any other way than choices?
Regards!

Gamefall Team

Nebula Games Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, as you said, a good idea is to create items that check a condition to get the ghost in your choice list or whetever. Another way could be through variables or switch, and then creates common event/s to generate a choice list representing the ghost you have. However this needs a long eventing work, I think. Another way to obtain the result is through plugin/s.

OverTheWay

Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I know it really needs long eventing, but since I don't know how to use plugins I guess that's what I have to do. I will try to find some shorter ways to do it, but I'm still waiting for some suggestions or advices from the community, who knows, maybe I'm missing something.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, that is what the variables and conditional branches in the events are for.
If you don't have any experience in their use, please follow the link to the starting point in my signature and take a month to work through the tutorials listed there, that will get you the basics of using the RMs and game development.

And no, there are no real shortcuts to learning this, not if you want your game to contain better things like "go there"-quests.
Sometimes it makes sense to request a plugin if you don't know how to write your own (few people do), but even then you should know when eventing is better and when a plugin would really help.

SwiftSign

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The idea of using items is cool! You could have a section of the item menu show ghosts (icons can be faces or just ghost symbol) and just give the item when claiming a ghost.

That way you can use the "choose item" command to give you a list.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Items are definitely the way to go here. There is so much functionality built into the RPG Maker editor to do things with items. I'd look into some of Yanfly's plug-ins to make some of this easier. The Item Slots one could help a lot with your idea of putting the captured ghosts into people.

OverTheWay

Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The idea of using items is cool! You could have a section of the item menu show ghosts (icons can be faces or just ghost symbol) and just give the item when claiming a ghost.

That way you can use the "choose item" command to give you a list.
First how do I make another item section and name it Ghosts? And second which command is the 'choose item' one? You mean select item? When I click on it and it asks me to set an variable but I have no idea how to use variables and conditional branches.

Items are definitely the way to go here. There is so much functionality built into the RPG Maker editor to do things with items. I'd look into some of Yanfly's plug-ins to make some of this easier. The Item Slots one could help a lot with your idea of putting the captured ghosts into people.
I would really try plugins but I don't really know how to use them. Toggle them from plugin command in the command list?

SwiftSign

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I'm afraid you're going to have to learn variables eventually otherwise you're going nowhere :c

That variable is where the "result" of the item selection is stored which you can then use conditionals to work with.

Plugins work in several ways - first you add them via your plugin manager. Most then have settings to tweak from here, and some (although not many, from what I've seen) use the plugin command.

https://rpgmakermv.co/resources/item-categories.1066/ <- Here is an example of a plugin that can change the item menu.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You mean select item? When I click on it and it asks me to set an variable but I have no idea how to use variables and conditional branches.
Basically, if you don't know how to use variables then you have absolutely no chance of making a game - so the first step is to learn what you need to know. Sorry, no way around that. I already pointed you to the tutorials in my signature in my post above - you can choose to work through other tutorials of course, but there is no way around learning if you want to complete your game.

In this specific case, the variable is needed to store the answer the player gives when he is asked to select an item - and you need to know how to ue variables in order to event the response to that selection by checking the numbers the player might place into the variable by selecting an item (the number will be the ID of that item from the database)

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How many ghosts will there be in the game? If there are 3, I'd even be happy to write it for you. It's a bit tedious for 5-6 and if there are more I imagine even the most enthusiastic conditional brancher would be scripting/wishing they could script.

I'm a newbie to rpgmaker but the scale of this mechanic would influence what your best course of action would be.

There's another option, depending on how your gameplay is: If you can get ghosts back from the people they are possessing, and if you have to collect ghosts in a particular order, you could just have a variable "GhostCount" that determines which choices will be shown, with a fail message if that ghost is already being used. But that's kind of brute forcing it, without knowing the scale of the project.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Pro tip: Start small and learn the basics of making an RPG Maker game before trying to do more complex things. First, watch some basic tutorials on YouTube. SumRndDude has an excellent beginners tutorial series that will teach you a lot and get you rolling. Then make a couple small games just to get used to the built in functionality. Then experiment with using plug-ins. And only after all that should you really start to get fancy do try things that no one else has thought of doing. Believe it or not, you'll actually save time and be less likely to throw in the towel if you do what I and pretty much everyone else here is recommending. You have almost zero chance of successfully making your interesting sounding game otherwise.

I wish you the best of luck!

OverTheWay

Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I gotta seriously go on with learning variables and conditional branches. I learned it pretty easily when it came to switches and other things, but when it comes to variables I simply bump into them.

Thank you @Frogboy it feels nice to have someone encourage you.
@hainsay I really appreciate it, but I think that I should to it myself considering I really need to learn how variables work.

But I also want to answer one more question. I was doing a tutorial regarding variables and it asked us to set a variable to 1, then make a conditional branch saying that if the variable's value is 1, change it to 0 or else change it to 1, or something like that. Then he said to add a text command to tell us the value of the variable, and he said that the number should be changing between 0 and 1 in a loop. Yet, everytime I was communicating to the event it was telling me the value is 0 and it wasn't changing to 1 at all, but I did everything he said to. What was I getting wrong?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
we can't tell you what you did wrong without seeing what you did - give us a screenshot of the event and we can answer your question.

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Check the branch where it says that the value is 0, and make sure within that branch it also sets the value back to 1. If that doesn't help then I would have to actually look at the tutorial and your events.

OverTheWay

Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nevermind, I fixed it. Stupid me! At first we were supposed to put a variable and set it to 1, then cut it and paste into the conditional branch instead of copying it. Now it does what it is supposed to do.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@OverTheWay I would be happy to walk you through the basics of Variables and Conditional Branches over Skype or over the phone. PM me if you're interested. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I usually don't enjoy survival games, but I absolutely love Conan Exiles.
Basically Everyone: Dont make a long game the first time. Me: I guess i'll make a REALLY long game in that case >:p
I've developed a habit of thanking cleaning ladies for their work.
Sorry Aerith... I will abandon your shoes... :guffaw:
Spent a whole bunch of time today reworking the area in the video because someone said it was too illusory. So I reworked it so it changes less, moved the grass up to the same level as the player.... And found enough extra resources to make the grass moves when the player touches it. Also lots more water, because it looks amazing. I'll probably put up a short updated video later today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuuuhFasa