How can I make Defense into a percent reduction?

GolvaeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would like to have the damage formula reduce damage by a percent value, which would be the targets defense. Ideally it would be 1 def = 1% reduction. Is this possible?

magnaangemon01

Miles Montgomery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't have my computer in front of me, but I want to say there's a way to change defense in the class tab of your database.

rainyday

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Say your damage formula is equal to 4 times the user's attack, a.atk * 4. In order to reduce it by defense, you'd put
Code:
(a.atk * 4) * ((100 - b.def)/ 100)
in the formula box.

Doktor_Q

I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The effect of defense on damage is entirely dependent on the damage formula you write for the skill. So, the default damage formula is
Code:
a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2
which subtracts twice the target's defense from four times the user's attack.

An example formula where your damage is based purely on the user's attack and loses 1% per defense the target has, you'd do a formula more like this
Code:
a.atk * (1.0 - b.def/100)
If you have 50 attack and the enemy has 10 defense, that becomes "50 * (1 - 0.1)", or "50 * 0.9" which means you deal 90% damage.

There's not one singular place that controls the damage formulas, you need to write them for each skill. Another option is to use resistances, like resistance to an element, or physical / magical resistance, instead of giving characters a defense stat. Resistances can be modified as Trait in the list on the right for actors, classes, enemies, equipment, and status effects.

magnaangemon01

Miles Montgomery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oops. I was so sleepy I missed the target's defense part so my answer was irrelevant. My apologies.

GolvaeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much, I couldn't figure out the syntax, everything I typed in put out some wonky numbers

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A quarter of century ago, one astute frog man was born. :ninja:
All new MZ Weather & Title updates are also RETRO'able for MV! Updated RETRO project will be released on same day I'll release updated MZ demo -project!

retro.png
Just lost about half a day's worth of work because rpg maker crashed during playtesting and corrupted my file :kaolivid:
Boku.gif
advanced_puzzling.PNG
Having a lot of fun making different poses for my character sets! Open to suggestions/critique!

CSKttqh.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitecup