How can I recover my will to continue creating my game?

Balot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese/BR
Primarily Uses
I recently launched a game in my country. It's a game divided into chapters, so I just released the first part. I spent a lot of effort and time on this game, and even though it's a simple game I am sure it's a very good game (the few people who played loved it). Even so, it was not very popular (it has fewer views than most of other games). The post is well organized, so I don't think I did a bad job promoting the game, but most of the people seem uninterested in it. I didn't want to give up, but I don't feel that many people would play the second chapter and I'm too unmotivated to continue now. What should I do?

Here's the proof of my effort:
83247054_2471910919790978_1512860895250743296_n.jpg
83054207_2471916439790426_1341971194584236032_o.jpg
83236167_2471918356456901_3620242545277140992_o.jpg
6.png

I've even learned how to create original songs, even though they suck

ImaginaryVillain

Now A YouTube Cool Kid! =D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like you would find motivation if more people played your first chapter. Perhaps instead of working on your second chapter you should advertise it anywhere you can free. Build an audience and then once there is interest in your first game, you'll have fans ready to play your second chapter.

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!
Well, I tried to find your game and found it through the link of the youtube video. So I will answer your question in the Brazilian forum because is easier to write than in English.

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First off: your vast sprawling mapping is gorgeous. But I think (hopefully) you know that.

Anyway I saw the thread title and was going to waste time coming in here to outline the details of a silly and completely made-up "occult ritual" to "recover your will to continue". Then I read your actual post and felt intense empathy instead of the urge to mock the thread title gave me: see, I too let the feeling that my games are being ignored/I am being ignored sap my motivation far too quickly. So then I was going to spend more time in this thread trying to encourage you to rely more on internal validation (although like I said, I got NO place speaking on that topic)...

...but I just wound up doing 2.5 hours of maybe-hopefully-I-sure-hope-so-anyway-paying game design (not game dev) work instead of either of the above because my landlord wants to know when I'll be able to pay my rent for February...and so do I.

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you looked into making it available on Multiple Platforms ? Lately, Mobile Gaming has been a thing.

ImaginaryVillain

Now A YouTube Cool Kid! =D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Somehow I think this thread will hit home for a lot more people than it doesn't. Even those who are successful with RPG Maker likely had doubts at one point or another. For me this thread pretty much covers my greatest fear with RPG Maker, not that I will fail to finish my game, I'm way too determined of a person for that... But that when I do complete it, nobody but me will care.

I've brought making a game up to a lot of people, and it wasn't long before I realized the words "RPG Maker" were a death sentence for their interest. Before that they were super excited, afterwards... well. Yeah.... Some friends even block the RPG Maker tag from their Steam searches. It really got me thinking that up until I got interested in the software.. I had never played a RPG Maker game. In fact even now, I've played two.... Both of which I was more interested in how they decided to program it than the gameplay, I finished neither.

So in light of all of that, and how people ignore RPG Maker games automatically... I'll paranoidly show nobody what I'm working on until I'm happy it looks absolutely nothing like a RPG Maker game. And even now I spend a lot of time planning how I will market it.

But really the reason I offer you this story is mostly to show you, you're not alone. I haven't even finished my game, and I'm still already planning on how to avoid this exact scenario.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd say go back to the simple question of "Why do I want to make a game?". Depending on your answer to that, the next steps might differ..

Anyway, if you're losing motivation becauase no one is playing your game, then you better focus on marketing the game and getting people to try it out. You can maybe start with friends and have them share it with their friends if they find it good and so on.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a game divided into chapters, so I just released the first part.
That is your biggest problem, not the RM-Name.
I think that the old tendency @ImaginaryVillain mentioned is slowly going away - there was a time when steam was flooded by badly made RM-Games because everybody thought they could make big money without efford. But in the last years the same has been tried with every other engine (just count the number of primitive FPS with the same basic Unity assets), while good games made with RMs also gained better sales.

But NO ONE likes incomplete stories. Publishing a game as "Part 1 of ?" will basically tell everyone that your game has an incomplete story. That is sometimes accepted from big companies because those can be expected to stay around until the series is complete.
But from an unknown indepentend developer? Sorry, no.
I wouldn't purchase that either, not until I can see that the developer stayed around to finish part 2 and 3.
And if you don't have a stable income that "not-sale" would be the death for you as an independent developer.
And even if you have a stable income from something else that often still is the death of the series - because if you have something else as your main work then you usally don't have enough development time to finish the second part within a year. Because most people are also not interested in continuing a story that they played years ago.

So if you want success as a developer, you either make sure that your first game is complete in itself (even if it is the first of a series and contains hooks to the next game, it should not be named "part 1"), or you finish developing all parts and can publish them at once or with only little time delays.

--------------------------------------

That said back to the other part of your question:
It is almost impossible for someone to keep doing the same on and on, so I usually refresh my interest by working on something else. I usually have two projects in various stages of incompletion, and if I'm tired of one I switch to the other for several weeks or months.

Kovos_Datch

Potatomancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never released a game (apart from one coffee-break, simple, lowkey one on the steam workshop), but I understand loosing the will to work on your game.

I'm currently in the process of working on a game and I'm feeling a bit of burnout because I am losing inspiration (mainly on making my maps). I hope the OP find the will to continue! Best wishes!

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I know what you're talking about. I've never released a game, since my main project (that I intend to release) has a ton of work. Something that really helps me keep plugging away at it is to get inspired from something, whether that be music, other games, books, etc. Those can give you ideas!

You should also think back to those who loved the first part of your game and how they made you feel with their praise. If even just one person loved my game, then the whole process is worth my effort, at least from my perspective.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Make the game for you. Think about why you made the first part, and what you loved about it. The end goal is to sell the game, and for people to enjoy it, yeah, but if you stopped working now, what would you do instead? Would anything be as rewarding as making that second part? Probably not, right? That's why you spent so much time and effort working on the game so far. Because the process itself is more often than not the best part about games development.

It's easy to lose heart, but if you wanted things to be easy, you wouldn't be making games in the first place. So take a little break, recollect yourself, and come back to it when you're ready.

You've got this buddy.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I find myself it helps to have a finished story. That way more will play it, as few want to play a story just to wonder when/if they will see the other parts.

Now if you want to get more feedback I got a couple suggestions:

1) Try to do a review trade. See if someone is looking for a tester and offering to trade (go to project recruitment for this) and offer to test their game if they test yours. That way you both help each other.

2) Review some games on here. People are more like to play your project if they see you are playing others on here. And some will return the favor by playing yours too.

3) See if a youtuber will play it. I know @HawkZombie streams RPGmaker games, at least if they are in English (is it in English? I ask as you say it was released in your country). I'll tag him so he sees this.

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't know about releasing a game on Steam, as I don't think I'll ever monetize my RPG Maker games. Heck, if I ever finish writing novelettes I'd self-publish them for cheap and/or free. So I'll take the title at face value and agree with some points made earlier.

Make the game you wanna see in the world. It's a tagline from RPG Maker Network, usually meant with sarcasm given the lines' origins, but it holds true. You're going to find your own niche, and if you go all the way you'll be someone's favorite. Heck, most artists (like moi) would be happy to even be someone's reason to say "this is cool" for like a day. If you've got something you want to see, do it. But the worst thing you can do is hold yourself to impossible standards. What those standards are vary from person to person. Just don't forget to switch off to something else now and again, attend to real life responsibilities, and to have some fun along the way that has nothing to do with your projects.

I've only recently found and wanna stick by my own niche, even if I had ideas of what it is. My ideas can be summed up as "LGBT+ anthros with emotional issues go on adventures and be heroes in spite of it all". I like to pretend I'm like pulp authors of old, telling short episodic adventures with a persistent cast and world. This applies to both writing prose and making RPG Maker games, especially as the RM community seems to favor shorter games compared to even an indie JRPG. And when I get sick of my Byzantine fantasy realm of Arakhavia, I wade into the gonzo apocalyptic Great Forest of Western New York (and vise-versa).

No matter what you plan to do, give it your all and find your way. I agree with Hallucinojelly: you've got this, fam.

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Judging from the screenshots it's easy to tell you put a lot of effort into your game. Your maps are beautiful. I wish I had the patience and skill to match yours on that front.

That said, my opinion here, take it with a grain of salt: the use of RTP for an RPGMaker game is an absolute death sentence. Combine that with your chapter structure and you've got a bad situation. There is no amount of effort that can overcome those two things, at least in my experience. Find a different graphics set and lead with a hook that draws people in, and your efforts will bear fruit... Maybe.

Zekken

Programmer? Pro-Gamer? Pro-Grammar?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you already knew that there is a few people playing and like your game, you should keep developing it. Not for gain new people to play your game but to give more happiness for your current game player. Believe it or not, those people who like your game right now is the best fan in you career. They play and like your game even before anyone else.

That I think how CD Projekt Red grow. They start by creating witcher 1, not a popular game but it was a really good game. No grinding, beautiful story, and interesting game mechanics. But they keep developing it. Then come Witcher 2, it shows how much CD Project Red has improve their ability. Much more beautiful graphics and game mechanic s, and people start to look at it. But probably the player mostly still the fan of witcher 1. Then 2015, it comes the golden age. Witcher 3 be very popular and become Game of the Year.

from that we can learn that, people like watching developer grow and the games becomes better. If someone like your game, they will share it to the friend. It's the natural of human and that's how Dota and Counter strike become very popular.

That's a little thing I learn from a motivator from my country. Hehehe. :D
Hope that motivate you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

BCj
Gotta love some gossip :D
Please do not buy games from g2a.com. The sellers have total power over you. The website has many scam sellers. It looks cheap, but the key code didn't work.
A while back I was having fun making my own custom tiles, then I hit carpet... why is it so difficult!? Lol.
Weekend is finally here... what would you like to see (?):
1) Pokemon into zelda minish-cap style
or
2) Pokemon into zelda gbc style
or
3) Zelda into pokemon style

#= Choose ===============#
||__[ Full mockup ]_[ Charset ]__||
#=======================#

Forum statistics

Threads
Members