ladylannistarth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My battle system is quite unusual and I'm using pictures for the enemies instead of the normal enemy sprites. I use an invisible sprite for my enemies and then call the battle event 'Show Picture'.

However, the problem I have is that the picture doesn't show until I press enter after the 'x has emerged!' message. I would love the picture to show up straight away. I'm hoping the solution to this is quite simple, but I'm still very new at RPG Maker and finding my way around it.

Help would be appreciated. :)

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm really confused as to why you'd want to use a show picture event as an enemy. When you're using an enemy sprite, they're going to highlight when you select them, blink when they take damage and all the other default functions. If you use a show picture, that's not going to happen.

What I'm guessing you're trying to do is use your own character image to replace the default enemy. So here's my suggestion for you...

Move all your enemy pictures into your game's image>enemies (or sv_enemies if you're using the side view battle system) folder. From your editor, go into database and select the enemies tab. You can either create a new enemy, or (probably better for now,) just replace the enemies image with the picture you want to use. As long as you're using a .png, you should see the file come up for selection in the editor.

This will also help you get around the enemies showing straight away in battle error.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, and you're 100% sure you want to be using a picture.

Last edited:

ladylannistarth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Rhino, yeah I totally get that using a picture instead of an enemy sprite is an odd choice and I know I'll be limited, but I have my reasons for it. As I said, this battle system is rather unusual. It's more of a visual novel style.

I did originally use normal enemy sprites actually but I changed to pictures because I need to show the enemy with different animations. The battle event editor allows me to change a picture easily, whereas it doesn't allow me to change an enemy graphic.

Hopefully there is a way to show the pictures straight away?

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're doing a visual novel style, perhaps it'd be better to skip the default battle system and use a full evented battle? It might give you some more freedom unless you also want to be using all the MP/skills and whatnot.

Some workarounds to changing the enemy graphics might be;
Having several enemies set up and using the 'enemy transform command' (will keep the old HP)
Using a plugin to change enemy graphics such as Hime's Enemy Equips or Jeneeus' Graphics Changer
Creating an enemy sv sprite (like the actor side view sheets) and using Yanfly's Animated Sideview Enemies to get it to animate like a normal sv sprite. I'm sure there's a way to use the force action command to get it to show the animation you want, but you might have to mess around with how you format the spritesheet.

Other than that, unfortunately I don't know of any way to show a picture before the 'X has emerged.' :kaocry:
So two alternatives I can offer you,
1) fading in your picture (using a move picture command) to make it seem more natural that the enemy appears late or
2) having your enemy picture as part of the battleback so it shows instantly. From there, you could either use show pictures that cover the original enemy, or you'll have to use Hime's Change Battleback plugin to change it to a blank battleback and quickly re-show your enemy image. (if you try the change battle back command without this plugin the battleback won't change until the next battle..)

If none of this works for you, hopefully someone with more experience can offer you a different solution (I'm quite new to MV myself ^^'')

ladylannistarth

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks so much! For now I'm going to fade in the picture like you suggested so it looks more natural. I may try out one of those plugins you suggested though as a more permanent thing in the future. :)

Thanks again for you help.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Noriko_Human.png
Worked on some face-sets. Need to finish up the lot and cut some out of the game. She's looking pretty cute.
Even though I'm not going for the first time in...ten years or something...ordered my Gen Con dice!
Will be focusing on map making today and adding locked chests :LZSsmile:Screenshot 2021-09-16 095316.png
It's hard to stay consistent for at least a week
new enemies for the game I'm working on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigsplurge41