How can I use both Parallax Mapping & Tilesets?

Xev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello!  I would like to use both Parallax Mapping and Custom Tilesets together.  I saw on another forum someone accomplished this using one other the earlier RPG Makers (VX... I think) but they did not mention how.  I am using MV and this is what I have experimented with so far...

I am using BindPicturesToMap by Tor Damian Design to bind an image for a map background and also an overlay (a house and clouds).  I am using Yanfly's Region Restrictions Plugin to mark what is accessible and inaccessible by the actor.  Worked great (though laggy).  When I add tiles from tilesets (columns and some trees), and test it, the tileset items appear at first (for about 1 second) then disappear.

What I would really like to do is use BPTM for the map design (ground layer).  Then make my own tilesets to use on top of the picture for details, buildings, trees, etc.  Thus, negating the overlay.  When finished building my map in this way I will use Region Restrictions.  Is this possible?  Might someone direct me to an additional plugin if so?

I hope I made sense, I'm new to RPG Maker and this is my first post. :)  Thank you very much for your help.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you don't need a plugin for this, you only need to get rid of the upper overlay where you want to  see the regular tiles.

And you need to keep in mind that star passability influences the order in which everything is drawn

any upper overlay created by show picture or plugins

B-E-Tiles with star passability

actor and events

two layers of B-E-tiles with regular passability

ground layer with A tiles

bottom - regular parallax

Xev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you so much!  I tried this in a new project and I was able to use a drawn map as the ground and all tile types (so it seems) even with star passability. Also, many thanks for directing me to which tile sets have star passibility.. This will help me in creating my tilesets!

One last question, if I may... Now that I am using the parallax map and the tileset, does this mean I will not be able to use any overlays at all? I ask because the Kaus_Ultimate_Overlay Plugin sure does have some cool fog effects.  Would that affect the "order in which everything is drawn"? Thank you again.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that depends on the specific plugin, but in most cases there should be no problem with adding overlays.

You just need to find out on which level of the drawing order the overlay is added (usually above the star tiles, but there might be plugins who give several overlay layers) and keep in mind that no one can see through a pixel on a high layer unless that is transparent.

That usually takes a bit of experimenting, but you can speed up that experimenting by making a special map that contains rows where the different layers of the list are on top, then insert a completely black picture as the overlay on whatever setting you want to test, and check which parts of the multilayer test map turns black and which not.

Xev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That makes sense. I'll make some experiment projects before I tackle a big project. You've been a great help, thank you so much! :)  

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

And the beginning of a nearly complete grid system dawns.

I want to add a thin pixel border around the entire region. Like across all blue highlights that connect and red attack highlights that connect.
Ami
--- Remake ---

Hero: Hey,look! Some Artist will Remake us to 3D!
M.Knight: Really? Then i hope they make me so Cool & Handsome
Heroine: I hope they make me Cute & Sexy,too
(6 Months Later,The 3D Model Are Revealed With Unexpected Yet Horrible Model)
Hero: (Spit The Water)
M.Knight: What the Hell?!
Heroine: I'm Dissapointed...
my battle system is REALLY coming together. I can already see strategies between 2 of my party members forming lol. helps that battles are 2 at a time. but the combo of these two is really fun.
@taarna23's status just made me realise I haven't had any scam calls since that guy who hung up on me before he even began reading his script. How quiet it's been ... they were pretty much the only people who ever called!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sokul2