How can we post reviews in the Store?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Alkorri, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi there, everyone. I've been meaning to write some reviews for products in the Store, only to realise that I can't.

For some reason it would only allow you to Write a Review for things you actually acquired through the forum (for me it was Pixel Myth and Modern Shop Add-On). It won't recognise purchases you made through Humble Bundle, Steam etc.

Is there any way we can post our reviews? I'm sure if this were possible, there would be much more feedback from the community on some fantastic products, and help future customers make informed decisions on what to purchase.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    Adellie likes this.
  2. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I second the idea of being able to write reviews for things bought via humble bundle etc... though also understand the need to actually make sure a person owns the merchandise before reviewing, the internet is writhe with people ranting about how terrible things they've never used are as is.

Alkorri likes this.
  3. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I third the notion.  Of course how would they know you really own the item?  Other than a useless checkbox that says "I do own this item," they'd need some type of application that somehow checks your system for the items...

4. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Maybe produce a privacy protecting edited version of the e-receipt from where you bought the product? I don't know otherwise and honestly the extra workload for whoever would handle it might outweigh the boon of having it; though it'd still be nice to have in theory.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  5. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the support, guys! You might be overthinking it a bit, though :) I don't think it's any different from posting reviews on Amazon etc, for instance.

I'd say judging from the content of a submitted review, it'd be pretty easy to tell if someone did purchase the product or not.

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  6. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Or we could do what Amazon does.  They have reviews tagged "Amazon Verified Purchase" where the item definitely came from their stores.

So they could just add a "Verified Purchase" tag which only appears on items we purchased directly from their store.  Any reviews for items we haven't purchased in the Store just wouldn't have that tag.

Make sure we can search on that tag, in case someone wants to only see verified purchase reviews, and that might be enough.

Alkorri likes this.