How could I change the graphic for dialogue of the main character based on their class option?

JustNephi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Title, I'm unsure of how to do so. I have the game set up so that the player chooses their class and their character changes based on their selection, namely their appearance. Would it be possible to have it check what character the player is, and display the appropriate graphic?

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Without using a script, I think the only option would be to use conditional branches in the event.

JustNephi

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How would I do so?

Heirukichi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How would I do so?
If you don't know how to use conditional branches I strongly recommend taking a look at Andar's tutorial in my signature, it will guide you through the world of RPG Maler Events (and much more). Everything you need can be found there, there are also various links to other event-specific tutorials.

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The script "Placeholder Graphics" by Hime might help you; it changes the face graphic in a dialogue box based on the face a given actor has (this also works for map sprites based on the actor's sprite). So for example if you want the dialogue box of Actor 3's face, you would choose the file "%actor3" from your faces list, and the result is the box showing the actor's face. Since you can change faces freely, the dialogue box can also change accordingly.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shiro-chan I think the OP is referring to the walking sprite, not the face graphic.

@JustNephi I agree with Heirukichi, if you do not know how to do conditional branches then you must stop and learn about them. You will not be able to make a game if you do not have a firm grasp of how to use the different elements of the Event Command menu. The playable tutorial in Andar's compilation will teach you more in a short time than any amount of reading or watching videos. There is the bonus that you can then open it up in the editor and see how everything was done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh man the controls in Mario Sunshine are pretty awful and I haven't even witnessed the controls without FLUDD
Lots of cool changes for Battle Castle in the works! Not just reworked dialogue, but gameplay, combat, and possibly lore changes to make things weightier.
Actor2_2 added!

I started really going in on my project April of last year... I'm just now making starting the actual game... making assets (and not even all of them), whoooo... TIME SINK.

Imagine being a pleb and using --------------------.js :LZSwink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylion_Shadowwolf