How cringy was the dialogue in your old/first RPGs?

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I made my first RPG around 7 or 8 years ago. It was VERY bad, which is expected. The dialogue was on another level of cringe. I posted images of some of the most cringy parts of the dialogue for you to feast your eyes on. If you want, post examples or images of your own cringy dialogue/moments!

Just click imgur part to view the images.

Last edited:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I personally like the fertilizer scene.
As for me, probably the entire intro scene from the game I did 4-5 years ago. But I'm not even feel ashamed about it.
Screenshot_503.jpg
I'm still waiting for the fan art :(
Well, you can try the game, it's linked in my signature.

Also, jokes on you, my next game dialogue is still cringy.

Mystic_Enigma

A shadow keeping itself together...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have the luxury of being able to cringe at my work (Yet). But maybe someday!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My first game I made when I was 12 in about a week. It was an old DOS engine that let you make games like Ultima 1 - 3, so there wasn't that much dialogue to cringe at, but what little there was I'm sure was bad. All I remember was I took an RPG I had just played and decided to 1-up it on everything. You got 6 levels? Ha, I'll put 10 in mine! Your final boss is a dragon? Mine is a demon!

Maybe it's a good thing that game only exists on a 5.25 inch floppy now.

NinjaKittyProductions

Professional Murder Hobos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My very first RPG was based on one of our many D&D sessions. It was littered with personal references and cringy as hell dialogue. We are not sorry for it though. I still like to go back and play it from time to time because the references still make me laugh ^_^.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I was known as the human thesaurus in school because i could insult with the best of them from every which way from Sunday, and I read everything I could get my hands on. My main bag was lots of pulpy fantasy novels. At age 10, I read on college level (but that didn't mean i understood exactly what i was reading as my comprehension wasn't that great. I didn't live long enough - I couldn't pronounce half the stuff i knew, but I could spell them to show off how 'learned' i was lol.) So I had lots of purple prose with plenty of big words used in the wrong manner with a smattering of whackness. Just believe me when I tell you, the cringe was hella stank everywhere. :kaomad3:

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My very first RPG was based on one of our many D&D sessions. It was littered with personal references and cringy as hell dialogue. We are not sorry for it though. I still like to go back and play it from time to time because the references still make me laugh ^_^.
I'm not sorry about mine at all either! In fact, it holds a special place in my heart and I revisit it time and again for inspiration. I laugh at mine every time I play it.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My very first game was cringy enough to make a trainwreck look like the Mona Lisa (I don't know if that analogy even makes sense, but whatever). Obviously, it didn't help English wasn't my first language, and I was in the process of learning it, which only adds on top of the endless layers of cringe that were already there. That project, however, got corrupted, and probably for the best.

My first finished game wasn't too bad, but it still had decent levels of cringe in some places, mostly in the earlier parts that I wrote years before finishing it. Looking back on things I worked on after that, and I can proudly say that my dialogues have gotten pretty much cringe-free since then (depending on your tolerance of cheese, which is still plentiful in my writing). At least not with the amounts of cringe that would physically hurt anybody reading it anymore.

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhh, I remember my first few rpgs. It was so cringe that it has emojis in people's -proper- dialogs just to name one big thing wrong with it LOL. To be fair, I was a young teen who just discovered the internet and text messages back then. I die a little inside and get a good laugh now when I read them, good times :LZSlol:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not at all. In fact I was commended for my story and character development from the very beginning. And several people have described my second game as having one of the best stories out there. But writing is probably my strongest skill.

Mordridakon

I am a dragon!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a fiction writer, dialogue is one of my strengths, primarily because I write as people talk. I will literally talk dialog out to make sure it sounds natural. Whether I bring that over to RPGMAKER remains to be seen. With that said, if I could dig up my first novel out of the dustbin, you would cringe at how awful it was.

I made my first RPG around 7 or 8 years ago. It was VERY bad, which is expected. The dialogue was on another level of cringe. I posted images of some of the most cringy parts of the dialogue for you to feast your eyes on. If you want, post examples or images of your own cringy dialogue/moments!
I think you're being hard on yourself. Few of those are particularly awful, just failed attempts at humor.[/QUOTE]

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Note, my first game was made in Flash, not MV:

I always thought my first game's dialog was pretty cringy, but when I gave it a quick playthrough, it wasn't as bad as I remembered. It definitely had several "ugh" moments though, and I suspect I was trying too hard to be funny at the time I wrote the game's dialog.

Poorly written and weak attempt at humor overall:

Cringily-written victory gloat:

Mainly though, my artistic ability is trash, so...yaay for MV's RTP and asset-creating community.

Note: This game also taught me that it's important to use a larger font size for dialog sequences.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Note, my first game was made in Flash, not MV:

I always thought my first game's dialog was pretty cringy, but when I gave it a quick playthrough, it wasn't as bad as I remembered. It definitely had several "ugh" moments though, and I suspect I was trying too hard to be funny at the time I wrote the game's dialog.

Poorly written and weak attempt at humor overall:

Cringily-written victory gloat:

Mainly though, my artistic ability is trash, so...yaay for MV's RTP and asset-creating community.

Note: This game also taught me that it's important to use a larger font size for dialog sequences.
It's not just the humor that's bad, the sentence flow is atrocious!

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
^ I agree completely :D

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This discussion makes me want to fire out that game I made when I was 16 to see how bad it is, as I actually do have a copy of that game still. Maybe if I get some free time this weekend I can do that and tell you just how bad it was.

Roden124

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Y'all may cringe at your own work, but I think the examples here are actually funny.

As for me, well..I stop thinking about my actions after 100 hours.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Pfft. My first game goes beyond just cringey dialogue.
Main Character: Oh... wow.
Other person: It's beautiful.
Bad guy: This is the castle of Elfi.
Main Character: Elfi? What does that mean?
Bad guy: I can't go spoiling all the fun, can I? *disappears*
(Meanwhile it's a horribly mapped RTP dungeon.)

Random person: You have some nerve coming here.
Main Character: Hello to you too.
Random person: I don't mean to offend you. Only to save you.
Neither of these make any sense whatsoever. :guffaw: I think I was attempting to be clever or something but it just sounds like a poorly translated anime game.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Probably very cringy even until now... but I actually dont know what cringy means

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Chilling out while toodling around someone's painstaking Minecraft recreation of Disneyland. It is mind-boggling and probably as close as I'll ever be to going.
>Testing with fonts change.
>Tries installing a plugin. Doesn't work.
>Tries changing the plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Tries installing another plugin. Doesn't work.
>Changes a few more plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Goes directly to the gamefont file and changes the src. Works.

YYEEEAAAAHHHAAAA

Perseverance is key, bois and girls.
What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?
Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soicaukubetim