How cringy was the dialogue in your old/first RPGs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ninjakillzu, Feb 24, 2019.

1. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I recorded the entire intro scene of my game for u (Granted, the story wasn't the main point of this game.)

And I made these intro hastily. I had no prior knowledge of those characters as I just wanted some quick intro and I didn't care about the content. Too late for me to regret this though, people already aware. With some LP videos out there as well.

2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have the same experience. My games are unfortunately still somewhat weak mechanically but writing is what I do so I never have anyone complain about the writing. My first game was pretty funny (a satire of swedish politics) to the very few people that ended up playing it. The only cringey part was that it used RTP for all graphics except for the battlers. Unfortunately it is now lost so I can´t show any screenshots (I doubt the jokes would make sense to a non-swede anyway).

3. cthulhusquid

cthulhusquid Veteran Veteran

That was really cringy but funny, almost like a parody.

4. kirbwarrior

kirbwarrior Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    By the time I hit ZeldaClassic (a year before rpg maker), I was already at the point of editing everything I did and making sure flow and grammar were done well. Even before that, the first book I wrote (never published, but it was a novel in length) I only dislike the dialogue because I clearly had no idea how paragraphs worked. If anything, my older games just had boring dialogue, not bad dialogue.

Then again, I unironically love Wolverine: Origins, so I'm not entirely certain what "cringy" is.

5. cthulhusquid

I probably can't post it here, but look up "I Just Called To Say I Like You - Peep Show" on Youtube. That scene is one of the epitomes of cringe.

6. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The first game I ever made I was like, 9-10, it was written in QuickBasic and was completely text based (anyone who has ever played old BBS text rpgs will know the type).

I'm kind of glad I don't remember it well enough to tell you if it was cringe or not.

kaukusaki likes this.
  7. kirbwarrior

kirbwarrior Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh wow, that was fantastic. *favorited*

Just remembered a silly line from an old game, two slimes talking to each other and one responds "Do I look like a scientist to you?". Probably the corniest line I've put into a game and I love it.

8. Keighn

Keighn Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [/QUOTE]
    That’s a pretty sound way to work dialogue imho. I recall I had to write an ad in highschool for an economics class. Well, I decided to do some simple voice acting on a crummy tape player as well. They actually couldn’t believe I had those voices. I find it a tad more difficult to put that to page. For this I’d have to read several different styles of books and maybe watch media to get an decent printed impression. Obviously a good dictionary and thesaurus is a must and if need be some remedial English books. Lucky me my bro took some college English and just gave me the books.

My favorite writing is descriptor item and objects on a map. I find it easier than dialogue. I have to keep notes on each “game actor” in the game to be sure I’m not just copy/paste similar sounding and inflection. In fact, I want to be sure they don’t just sound like me on a day to day basis.

9. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Heck back in my day we took what we could get. Cringy dialog is find as long as the game is still fun. (and usually it is.) A lot of older games have terrible dialog. Especially Japanese exports during the golden famicom age that felt victim to machine translations or just bad translation companies in general. I would insert the meme here. But it's not necessary as we all know what I'm talking about. Right? o_O

10. cthulhusquid

Here's a couple more screenshots I managed to dig up from another project.

11. Diarist

Diarist Small and bitter. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh gosh, I'm to embarrassed to even boot it up and take screenshots haha

I tried REALLY hard to make stuff sound deep and cool and epic. It didn't work well, at all. Lmao. It's REALLY bad.

12. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That makes me want to see it even more! Please?

13. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is the perfect thread, because the cringier and more horrible the dialog, the more likes you'll probably get. :D

14. Diarist

Diarist Small and bitter. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    *Snrrrk*
    I'll try and take some screenshots of really god awful lines later today then. Luckily each 'part' is only like an hour/2 hours long.

N-no promises though

Huff--

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Rachnera : That is true. Of course when I was younger we got stuff like this as well (not an RPG but the idea is the same):