How cringy was the dialogue in your old/first RPGs?

KenKrath

Cutscene Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wait, really? Any examples?
Off the top of my head the Squall disguise scene from FF7 (even if they were trying to be funny the dialogue was odd to me). Right before a mini boss scene in CH2 of DQ4 (non-remake) the NPC's were trying to be funny and I still don't get the joke up to this day. There was a weird new party member scene in Beyond the Beyond for PS1.

Suikoden II poked some odd fun at Victor a few times.

What I think folks on here are posting as cringeworthy are things your viewers may actually think is satire.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow, I was not expecting this topic to be necroed.

What I think folks on here are posting as cringeworthy are things your viewers may actually think is satire.
That would be a compliment! Instead of them saying that "This dialogue sucks and it's cringy as hell!", they'll say "This dialogue is great satire and a perfect deconstruction of typical JRPG writing!"

KenKrath

Cutscene Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wow, I was not expecting this topic to be necroed.

That would be a compliment! Instead of them saying that "This dialogue sucks and it's cringy as hell!", they'll say "This dialogue is great satire and a perfect deconstruction of typical JRPG writing!"
That's how I read it. As a player I would think it as something intentional that the creator/dev intentionally put in there as some type of comic relief. And yep, I thought it was poking fun at other RPG's and is not as cringy as you may think.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
"Cringy" is a word I don't like and personally refrain from using. If you mean things that are not well-done and make someone facepalms, then I guess my first project was chock full of them. MC was sort of a glory hound, handsome, and seemingly strong for no reason.
Upanhso.tk-17.gif
It's pretty damn anime-ish, and was like basically a fanfiction in RPG Maker form. There was a decent amount of pervert humor in there as well, so it might have raised some eyebrows.

"Hey, you're that handsome student who just transferred into X-character's class, right?"
"How can you fight him yourself?"
"I'm strong enough to hold him off. Just run."
"These clothes smell good."

But I still enjoyed playing it myself. And so did some other people. And I'm grateful for those who did. It'd be laughed at mercilessly by some "serious" critiques, for sure, though. I'm in between "I'm glad I made this" and "I don't want to show people this". But nevertheless, I made what I liked, and I'm glad I did what I wanted to.
022.gif

*Snrrrk*
I'll try and take some screenshots of really god awful lines later today then. Luckily each 'part' is only like an hour/2 hours long.

This man went out to get milk and never came back. RIP.

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the dialogue in my current / new RPGs is still cringy, to be honest.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
"Cringy" is a word I don't like and personally refrain from using.
I try to make sure I use it by its actual definition; discomfort that is so magnified it causes a physical reaction without my intention. I'd post examples, but I want to avoid causing someone to cringe.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I try to make sure I use it by its actual definition; discomfort that is so magnified it causes a physical reaction without my intention. I'd post examples, but I want to avoid causing someone to cringe.
Please, post screenshots! I bared my cringy dialogue to the world twice already.

Wisshy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please, stop this "cringy" nonsense. What a hell is going on with this generation?

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Please, post screenshots! I bared my cringy dialogue to the world twice already.
I have seen zero video game dialogue I would label as "cringe". However, I might call the first Silent Hill that, it's the only game I can't play for even five minutes because of how much it gets under my skin. I can't even watch someone play it for half an hour, and Silent Hill 3 has the bathroom scene. Definitely note the title of the following spoiler (it's probably too heavy for this thread honestly);
Watching a police officer shoot someone in the back who's begging to not die. Seeing how child brides and slaves still exist. Seeing a hurt dog limp home. Watching someone in a wheelchair get bullied, especially by adults.

Wisshy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The thing is everything is cringe for people like you. Omg!

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My absolute first game was on RPG Maker 2000, made in my early teens, and sadly I no longer have access to the original project files. Pretty much, the synopsis of events could be pretty cringe itself, and I might devote a thread of my own to that. So here's my trying to paraphrase everything I can remember from that game...

After various flashing effects in haunted shrine to seal literally Satan (AKA Chaos), which a 13-year-old Alex Main Character and his elder bro go to for a flippin' rite of passage to reseal him...
  • [MC's Older Bro]: What the hell?

The Big Bad revealed...
  • [MC's Older Bro]: No! This can't be! It's Satan, also known as Chaos!
  • [MC]: But brother, wasn't he killed?
  • [Satan]: You should read your holy book more, little boy! I return once every generation!

Literally Satan, after the scripted-to-lose opening battle...
  • [MC] I feel like I'm dying!
  • [Satan] Exactly! My powers are taking your life force!
  • [MC's Condemned Bro] That's what you think! ULTIMA!

MC about to avenge his brother against literally Satan...
  • [MC]: I'll kill you, Chaos! I will send you back to Hell!

Green-haired greeter of a burned-out town...
  • [Green Hair] Sigh... welcome to Slumtown...

Info dump about Slumtown's rebellion against a furry-making villain with a plagiarized name and concept...
  • [Thief]: They've been turning people into animal hybrids, like something out of Spider-Man Unlimited.
If the player watches a furry being born...
  • [Mad Scientist]: "Time to emerge Parker, or should I say...
  • (orc sprite walks out)
  • [Mad Scientist]: "...Mister Porker!"

Your reward for beating the furry-maker's dungeon of cringe...
  • [MC]: I already broke in and stole for you. Where's the canoe you promised?
  • [Rebel Leader]: Oh for @#$% sake! HERE! (Note from the editor: I literally censored out the F word in the original, too)

The mage girl in a school-tower thing, after she says she's crying because she can't figure teh awesomez spell Starlight...
  • [Thief]: Pfft, typical mage problems. She's probably going to hell for magic anyway...
  • [Mage]: Hey, shove off! My magic isn't evil! It calls upon the elements of nature!

...I can't recall any more specific dialogue to paraphrase but hoo boy, the whole game was a doozy. Also the first game to feature my main OC was melodramatic as all get out, so maybe that counts as cringy first game dialogue...?

Last edited:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
These are fantastic, but especially the following;
No! This can't be! It's Satan, also known as Chaos!
Sigh... welcome to Slumtown...
Pfft, typical mage problems.
Slumtown is on the same level as Simpleton and Nottagen for town names I'm sad I didn't come up with.

Also, I legitimately enjoy this type of censorship;
Oh for @#$% sake! HERE! (Note from the editor: I literally censored out the F word in the original, too)
I remember narrating to people watching me play FF7 and saying each symbol as if it were a really long swear word. There's just something charming about it.

Momonica

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Português
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not my first game, but the first thing i ever wrote looked like a fanfic, and not of the good kind (i dont have this with me anymore but it was so edgy and nonsense for no reason). Also the first project I made i had my friend laughing so hard because instead of puting "Your mother." on a grave i put "your mom" so it looked like those yo mama jokes...

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Big Bad revealed...
  • [MC's Older Bro]: No! This can't be! It's Satan, also known as Chaos!
  • [MC]: But brother, wasn't he killed?
  • [Satan]: You should read your holy book more, little boy! I return once every generation!

MC about to avenge his brother against literally Satan...
  • [MC]: I'll kill you, Chaos! I will send you back to Hell!

Your reward for beating the furry-maker's dungeon of cringe...
  • [MC]: I already broke in and stole for you. Where's the canoe you promised?
  • [Rebel Leader]: Oh for @#$% sake! HERE! (Note from the editor: I literally censored out the F word in the original, too)
These read like an example of the dialogue I would've done in the past!

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The very first thing I ever made in RPGMaker could not have been cringe because the entire thing was absurdist dialogue injected into a project intended to teach myself the program's functionality. Complete with such amazing lines as:

"OMG LOL BBQ FBI!"

"You done did the THIIIING! I canst lemme that stand! Nao we fighting!"

"You have been wrong place. Head return to parent dwwelling."

"Big bad is defeat. I the sad and will revenging his deadth."

"You winned the game. Beyond door is end-game softlock. I unlock locked door for softlock access, lock. Congladuration!"

And such.

KawaiiKid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My first rpg I made was 20 years ago on rpg maker for ps1. Although the story and combat and everything were really lacking, I did manage to make an on screen world map by making "characters" in the character creator that looked like mountains and tiny trees and stuff. So I guess I was ahead of my time for that XD

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@cthulhusquid If I just stumbled across this game, I'd think it was a meme game, so it could probably pass as a joke game of sorts.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

you know, since learning C [;)] I've grown to love VC and OpenGL :D
Welp. Just updated the biplane sprite-sheet with the missing "North" and "South" positions. Really digging the old 1920's aircraft designs as of late. Shame they're not in "vogue" anymore. They had style. I wasn't planning on making an Air Mail-centric game but now it is getting awful tempting.
animation-example.gif
ScreenShot_5_15_2022_4_23_30.png

found out the names of all the window's used in Yanfly's Victory Aftermath plugin and came up with some designs for them.
Work on yo games humans! No excuses!
Finally working on a real title graphic! Here we are at an early stage:
titledemo.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeyMikeF78