How cringy was the dialogue in your old/first RPGs?

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Then his 10-year-old sister mentioned him getting a HAREM if he goes on an adventure. Keep in mind: She's 10 years old! HOW DOES SHE KNOW WHAT A HAREM IS?!
She watches the best worst anime, clearly. Then again, maybe she doesn't actually know what a harem is, but knows just enough to think it's something he'd get and want.

"Seems legit, I totally won't die at all!"
Okay, I could totally get behind this protagonist XD

I eventually gave them names: Rod and Rick. And then 1 year later they disappeared from existence. RIP my idiotic interpretations of two copies of one of the RTP villains.
They make me think of the Bandit Twins trope in Fire Emblem.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I made some stuff way back in the 2000/2003 days now--fortunately--lost to time, which was kind of all over the place in terms of tone, and no doubt rife with typos, haha. Though back then, it was more just a fun way for me to express myself and goof around for a few hours a day rather than with the intent of making anything serious. I'm not even sure if I would go as far as to call anything I made back then 'cringe', but maybe just confusing and all over the place.

The oldest surviving project I have from 2010/2011 or so isn't TOO bad in terms of dialogue, though, all things considered. But then that was made after a string of tons of test games, where I was slowly learning from my past mistakes, and from other RPG Maker games of the era. The story was still quite aimless, though, about a guy trying to avenge his house that was burned down by orcs with a super comedic tone.

I look back fondly on it, too and remember all the fun times I'd spent crafting the maps, fine-tuning the battles and building everything up. It's just a shame I never finished it. ;~;
You could always remake it, that's what I'm doing with my current project.

FrigidGaze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You could always remake it, that's what I'm doing with my current project.
Ahh, I've definitely been tempted on more than one occasion--and even messed around a bit with recreating some of the initial areas in MZ. It'd be interesting to see just how differently it turned out with my current mindset 10 years on, since there's definitely aspects I'd want to change and expand along the way, with all of my new experience on that front!

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm actually not that bad with dialogue now. I was interested in writing short fiction stories for years, and even managed to get a few published. So my dialogue is passable as I've already made all the obvious mistakes in my old writing :D

Ronyunderen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Classic JRPG dialogue are supposed to be cringe. Because it's made especially for child and teen. (bonus for adult who try to play it).

They don't make a game for college teacher, government, or some people dont do gaming things.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Considering I made my 1st game ever with RPG Maker just about a year ago, I have no regrets.

Yes of course there's mistakes in the dialogue and sometimes it was even cheesy (at least I think so).
But I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world since it taught me the basics of RPG Maker's engine.

Garryg

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Classic JRPG dialogue are supposed to be cringe. Because it's made especially for child and teen.

Why on earth would you say that!? I wouldn't say something like 'To the Moon' was made "especially for children."

Popoto_milk

Tactical Marine
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
High Gothic
Primarily Uses
N/A
Unpopular(?) opinion: A lot of stuff here really isn't that bad. Some of it isn't that good mind you, but I really don't see writing too egregious (if at all) with a lot of posts.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does it count if you think all your current game dialogue is cringe? I mean... I think I can do better than I've done... but here I am :D Still using the silly dialogue I have.

To be fair, at least one set of dialogue in my intro was written INTENTIONALLY cringe. For reasons a player might not discover until later...

Well... maybe. Ha ha.

Kokoro Hane

Overly Ambitious
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My first game.... which was never released (but will be for historical purposes).... I feel is not too different from the RM games I make now xD

To be fair.... I like to make a lot of comedy RPGs.... should I be ashamed I actually am proud of some of my dialogue?

Prototype for Mr. Cabbage who later appeared in my first released RM game:
FSLQWM9VkAAZgHa.png
FSLQXqWUYAMPOdH.png
FSLQZFCVkAEzve2.png

Yes, that's some top tier dialogue right there xD

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My first game.... which was never released (but will be for historical purposes).... I feel is not too different from the RM games I make now xD

To be fair.... I like to make a lot of comedy RPGs.... should I be ashamed I actually am proud of some of my dialogue?

Prototype for Mr. Cabbage who later appeared in my first released RM game:

Yes, that's some top tier dialogue right there xD
Well it made me laugh, so good job I guess? Honestly that's the most important thing in a comedy RPG.

Julijewels

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I still think it was pretty good, even though I lost 90% of the opening cutscene including a scene where the MC was peeing on a wall. The worst part is that I don't even remember where I found half of the resources so I can't continue it off of the saved portion I have of it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

After a little test with the parallax mapping, found it lags like a cat on a leash. Instead of the original idea to parallax map the entirety of the ship, I guess I'll settle for editing the tilesets. Probably should have done that first. :kaosigh:
So I kinda came back and learned how to mod other RPG Maker games so... Hello everyone!
Captura-de-pantalla-475.png
Version 1.0.1 done! Now finally free time... oh
Capture.PNG
I'm Really proud of how my game over screen looks!
UldJFr1.png
I felt inspired by a piece of art I saw. So I made this.

Wanderer Doge.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brideinmydreams