How did you come up with your name?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Padramyr, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Padramyr

Padramyr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, the other day I was wondering how you all came up with your nicknames? Did it just came to your mind or did you find inspiration somewhere? Or maybe it's a combination of different things?

Many people associate my name with Lord of the Rings even though it was not inspired by it. I've been writing my own stories (as well as FanFictions) for more than 14 years now. Several years ago I was thinking about names for my new characters and one of the names was "Vanyar". I've never even read the books of Lord of the Rings and I also haven't watched any of the movies at that time. It was years later that I learned that my name was part of that universe.
    At the moment I'm thinking about changing my nickname. I really like the name but I think it shouldn't be associated with Lord of the Rings if I publish one of my games. But I have no idea how to find a great new nickname. So maybe it can help me if I know how you came up with your nicknames - and I'm curious as well of course :)

2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist - Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've had mine for many years across multiple sites- I first made it when I was just getting into YuGiOh. Probably not the most humble or intriguing backstory, but that is mine...

3. Meike

Meike A slime slowly developing a game Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Searched for names that were a variant of my real name (or a variant of a variant). I have another handle that I use for everything else pretty much, but I wanted to separate my game dev a bit. Funny thing is, I forget to pronounce it right a lot of times heh.

4. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I used to have another, shorter name, but I quickly found out names get taken on the internet for websites with some popularity. So I went for this one, that's longer and less likely to be taken by some stranger. All my names I use online are for characters I've created at some point. As for Milennin, he's pretty much retired as a character from my stories, but it's my go-to name for many online places.

5. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Celianna Nami is a name I frequently use, and it has to do with liking Harvest Moon! My first HM game was A Wonderful Life, which had two characters in it named Celia and Nami that I liked. Celia is a name frequently taken on websites/games/etc. so I decided to make it longer by turning it into Celianna. I use Nami whenever a game requires me to input a last name.

Nami also coincides with my favourite League champion.

6. TakeHomeTheCup

TakeHomeTheCup Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like hockey.

Philosophus Vagus and mlogan like this.
  7. Owltears

Owltears Working on a game for the contest Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    When I was younger I wondered why you never saw owls crying even though they felt emotion.

TakeHomeTheCup likes this.
  8. Anarcho-paladin

Anarcho-paladin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    A not so sober D&D game where my paladin character had to wonder about the moral implications of a lawful good alignment; what part was he to privilege when lawful couldn't be good, and vice versa? He came to the conclusion that good had to be prioritized over lawfulness, hence...

Philosophus Vagus likes this.
  9. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Its half of my first name and the year I was born. I'm not creative at all.

TakeHomeTheCup likes this.
  10. Danitinkis

Danitinkis Deadly and sexy Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My mom called me Danitinki sometimes and I just added de "s"

11. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Theo and Allen are sort of my irl name, but spelled differently. It was from Theodoric the Goth when I was playing Age of Empire II when I was kid. It sounded cool and it's like my name, so I used it. At the first time I used a full name Theodoric up to mid 2010, I decided to change it to TheoAllen (with exact capitalization of T and A with no space).

The name Theolized though, it sounds weird and not quite fancy as everyone else come up with their names or brand. But, it came from people telling me that my style is unique. The name can simply be translated into "my version". It is true that because I usually screw off the standard or other people's style, and do whatever I want. It's usually my second name I use if TheoAllen is already taken.

12. kovak

kovak Bloodmancer Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Vodka
    That's all, really.

Philosophus Vagus and mlogan like this.
  13. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  14. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I feel you. First initial, last name.

padr81 likes this.
  15. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Blaaaah!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mine is the name of a (failed) business I started 2 years ago. Probably not the best choice...:blush:

16. TakeHomeTheCup

TakeHomeTheCup Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Uh, so a logistics business or something?
    "Onslaught supply: We'll get your load to you through an onslaught"... or something?

17. OnslaughtSupply

OnslaughtSupply Blaaaah!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wish, online store

18. XIIIthHarbinger

XIIIthHarbinger Part Time Super Villain Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been using some variation of my name for so long I honestly can't remember when I started using it. & using some variation of my icon character in conjunction with it, for nearly as long.

I suppose you could call it a kind of cypher, encapsulating a given perspective. A bit of an inside joke if you will.

19. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @OnslaughtSupply what did you sell?

As a teen my online handle used to be the redneck philosopher. For some reason that started causing me problems a few years back so I changed it to a Latin phrase meaning vagrant philosopher, only bastardized so that in my head the choppy wording translates it back to redneck philosopher.

20. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I love (sir) Terry Pratchett and Eric is one of my favourite books of all time.
    Back when I was youger I liked the fact that it was a joke recognized in universe that you couldn't pronounce it and it always gave me a chuckle when people asked how you pronounce it and inevitably failed.

My semi recent accounts and characters are almost always named AƤlea now, which is the name of a character of a long since abandonned game of my own making. Maybe she'll have a game one day if I can stop making random plugins and focus on my limited dev time.