How did you come up with your name?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Padramyr, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Padramyr

Padramyr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for all the answers! It's pretty interesting how many ways there are to find a name :D

Harvest Moon is a great game and I started with A Wonderful Life too :D
    That's a good idea to alter a character name from a game. Maybe I can find a new name this way.

Oh, haha. Now that's a really interesting/funny way and something I would never think of xD

First of all: Pen&Paper is great ^^. And a good conclusion by your character xD
    Maybe I could think of something similar.

I searched the forums and still couldn't find that thread. Must have been blind and overlooked it (I was really tired at that moment) ^^"
    I'll check that thread too, thanks xD

l8rose likes this.
  2. Idiot

Idiot save early, save often, save versions Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On here I just entered the first word I thought of ;;
    For the handle I'd usually use, I think I ended up getting it from a generator that smushed two words together and really liked it!

l8rose likes this.
  3. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Windows 7 + Core i7

I made the name around 2009 (a bit before Windows 7 came out) when I got my first custom PC with the first generation Intel Core i7 (the 920, specifically). That was one heck of a CPU for its time, that is for sure.

l8rose, kaukusaki and TakeHomeTheCup like this.
  4. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    We needed a company name for our game Stitched, so we came up with Fluffex Studios after several meetings.

l8rose likes this.
  5. rpgdreamer

rpgdreamer His Royal Highness Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    When I signed up I had the dream of making an epic RPG. My goals have changed since then, but the name makes me feel fond. :kaoluv:

VitaliaDi, l8rose and kaukusaki like this.
  6. melancholy-sama

melancholy-sama Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My nickname is basically my type of temperament + Japanese suffix -sama, which means 'mistress' or 'lady'.

7. BlueWulf

BlueWulf Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not that creative and tends always reuse this nickname, so i just stuffed in one nickname two things i like the most, so at the very least people would get a feel as to what kind of person i might be.

l8rose likes this.
  8. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    It's the name of my online mascot. He's supposed to be named after Jack Benny. No real reason, I just like Jack Benny.

9. D.L. Yomegami

D.L. Yomegami Sanely Insane Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Back when I was going through a bit of a depressive phase, I decided to take a mishmash of Japanese words/characters from the game Okami and make it my new username. The exact thought process was Yami (Okami's big bad) + Yomi (the Japanese underworld, and a likely inspiration for Yami's name) + Yumigami (Okami's brush god of the moon) + changing the first "I" to an "E" for originality. A more straightforwards route would be taking Yomigami (Okami's brush god of regeneration, and the first brush god encountered within the game) and changing the first I to an E, but my mind is never straightforwards.

Quite a while later, I appended the initials "D.L.," which stands for "Dark Lord." I liked the business card look the initials gave my name. And that's how it got to be how it is now.

I found out much later that my username could also mean "God's wife," which was completely unintentional (I was a teenager when I initially came up with the name and a particularly oblivious one at that; alternative meanings were not something I considered). It's kind of awkward considering I currently identify as male with no plans of getting married, though also considering that I'm not 100% sure on what my gender identity is and simply that I've been using it for a long time now it'd feel equally awkward to change it.

l8rose, kaukusaki and Owltears like this.
  10. FrozenNorseman

FrozenNorseman Shivering Veteran

First Language:
    Danish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I based mine on my approximate location (and cultural heritage, I guess) and the fact that I was freezing my butt off when prompted to write in a nickname.

11. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love threads like this... so bear with me.

I used to be a professional counter-strike player, used to go by various different names, but I wanted something more unique to myself.

I grew up as a punk rocker, love it; all variations of it. Had a huge mohawk for a good portion of my college days. People would always wanna touch my hair, I didn't mind.

Anyway--I needed a new name for my gaming... so I got my name "Sam" and put "KFJ" at the end.

Now--here's where the punk reference comes into play... there's a band called the Circle Jerks (strange name; I warn you--do not google the meaning.) Anyway--they have a song it's called "Killing For Jesus" not one of my favorite songs by them, but yeah; made a bit of sense back then while playing counter-strike.

Since then, I just go by samkfj; a mixture of me and my love for punk rock. My wife even uses it, she's jennykfj (she's from Germany too!)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    VitaliaDi and l8rose like this.
  12. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  13. CodeHunterEx

CodeHunterEx Hunter of the Perfect Code Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My nickname came about from a movie of the same name. It was also called "Storm Watch" and came out in 2002.

The main character was a kid who wasn't trying to beat the computer, but instead was trying to get the computer to beat him. It stars Adrian Paul and it is one of my most favorite movies. I tossed in Ex for no particular reason.

l8rose likes this.
  14. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Part of my real name and then just bastardized it, nothing fancy there lol

l8rose likes this.
  15. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good Self is the name of my band, which stemmed from me understanding that if you want to do good by others, that you first have to be good to yourself.

16. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I came up with mine in 1987 on QuantumLink - I Originally wanted Wordsmith, but it was taken and William Gibson's Neuromancer was right next to me. Nice thing is, I got mentioned alot in the media! Lol! You can quote me: "I WAS the new wave, now I'm just an old DRIP!" :p

17. l8rose

l8rose Neeeeerd Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I coulda swore I answered this on the other thread but it's not there soooo...

My name is based on both my real name (Rose being a shorter form of my actual name and something I frequently go by) and a chatspeak version of a character's name from Martin the Warrior by Brian Jacques. I've been L8rose on pretty much everything since the 90s.

18. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced creepy girl Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This name is a modified form of a previous name which I think meant drifting moon in Japanese. I was a total crazy otaku when I was 13/14 so I came up with that weird name. The main purpose of that name was to establish a new identity for myself in wattpad. But my book kinda disappeared from the site idk how (must be some website error. My friend's account disappeared! I should be happy that only a book disappeared in my case. I still have a backup version of it but i'm not gonna post it there again. Once was enough *sobs*) so I changed my name to HyouryuuNa (Because I wanted to forget the loss and carry on) The added hyphen is just to bring a variation to it lol.
    I guess now it means drifting sodium... 0_0

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    l8rose and kaukusaki like this.
  19. Conflictx3

Conflictx3 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've had mine for at least 12+ years. My sister always pointed out how indecisive I was back then and used the word "conflicted", so when I joined a big forum called "gaia online"and tried to think of a name and went with conflicted, but the name was already taken and after trial and error Conflictedx3 was available, over the years it shortened to Conflictx3 but every site I've touched has either variation of the name.

Fun fact: I did alot of music over the years and my stage name/nick name is infact "Conflict", its even tattoo'd on my writing arm, all goes back to gaia online!

l8rose and kaukusaki like this.
  20. hero_buddy

hero_buddy artist and pro cat petter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I began calling myself a hero online after playing a bunch of LoZ games when I was 15. I eventually just began using "hero" as my online handle, and I enjoy being a buddy to all! Hence, "hero_buddy".

l8rose, Hyouryuu-Na and kaukusaki like this.