How did you find out about rpg forums?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Monkeysnow55 The Cookie, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Monkeysnow55 The Cookie

Monkeysnow55 The Cookie Cookie Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Cookie
    How did you find out about rpg forums? I found out about it from searching for scripts and always finding this site, I also knew that there would be many more features such as characters, posting my own stuff and more! How did you find out about it? 

2. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We were looking for more resources. I made an account here many months before I started posting. I didn't think I'd have a lot of fun talking here or that everyone would be super serious (and I'm doing this as a hobby). Most of the people are super chilled out. I started posting my music in the "post your music" thread a couple months ago and being here has actually probably caused me to do a lot more than had I just gone on my merry way. 

For example. I completed a game for IGMC. No way I'd have done that without the forum. I've already started another side project and my main project has continued brewing into this massive idea that I'm working hard to be able to execute to my whim when it's time to make that the focus. I also probably would have never started drawing again if I weren't here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
    Deleted and Bukarett like this.
  3. Clydous

Clydous Slowly moseying my way back... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Shortly after buying the software last Christmas during a sale on Steam, they released cards with some interesting information. At the bottom of the card, it ordered me to visit this site for more helpful tips. I didn't want to upset the card, so I decided to heed its command and headed here. Been posting up silly things since. =P

4. The Prince of Sarcasm

The Prince of Sarcasm Prince of sarcasm Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    When i had the trial version of ace, ann couldn't figure something out, i would google it, and sometimes, other people would have asked the same question already. When i finally bought the full version of ace, i actually joined the forums, and it has been great here.

5. CrazyCrab

CrazyCrab Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Initially I was using the Steam forums, but I've been directed here when the issues have been fixed.

Given that these forums are much more active and welcoming I just decided to stay here ^_^

6. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How did I find out about the RMW forums?  Well, I've been a long time user of the RPG Maker series.  Sadly, like many others here, I used the illegal English versions of RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 way back in 2004-2006.  I never really did anything with them, but I used them to get myself familiar with them to TRY to make something.  Anyway, I skipped over XP and VX since I never really knew about them until about 2 years ago when I looked up RPG Maker again and found VX Ace being the newest version.  I used the lite version until I was able to acquire the full version.  Now I own all three of the legal English makers (got them when they went on special), several resource packs and so on.  I'm a more-or-less active member of the community, enjoy talking to many of the people here and enjoy my time on these forums.

From this site, I learned about rpgmakervxace.net, rmrk.net, rpgmaker.net, rpgmakervx.net, FSM and many more wonderful sites full of resources and guides to various things.  It's rather awesome, if I do say so myself!

7. Deleted

Deleted The Champion of Uncertainty :D Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Similar to everyone else really, looking for answers to questions, brought me here. Looking for resources, brought me here. Lurked quietly round the forum for awhile, then finally decided to make myself known, and dispose of any fools who got in my way, muhahah...Wait!? Did I say that last bit out loud? Whoops ;D

8. The Prince of Sarcasm

The Prince of Sarcasm Prince of sarcasm Veteran

First Language:
    Sarcasm
    I thought you were the champion of good.

9. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Way back when I was a mere child, there was thing thing for the PlayStation called RPG maker... and--oh... you mean THESE FORUMS... ; >_>

I was shallow in the ROMhacking scene... I just couldn't bring myself to do it though. No matter how hard you worked or how man hours of labor you put into a hack, at the end of the day it was still a modified version of an SNES game.  I wanted to do MORE! I wanted to do something I could really sell...  WARNING: Mushy ahead!

If it weren't for these forums I'd be friendless and probably in another state of no-way-out depression.  Thanks to ladies and gentlemen here I realized that no, not everyone is a jerkbag who wants to destroy me. I realized that my lifelong dream of creating games that might inspire generations... would actually truly be possible. Ever since I was just a little boy, I've wanted to do that... to inspire someone else to create. When I found these forums by chance (In looking to buy RPG Maker VX Ace), something just clicked.
    Aiya, I'm spilling my guts here, aren't I? Sorry. Carry on.  But... fair's fair. I DID warn you.
    I found the forums after I downloaded the trial for VX Ace. I was HOOKED.  I knew absolutely nothing about nothing, and I was having more fun than I'd ever had in.... years. It brought back precious memories of playing old-school RPGs as children... sleepovers, visiting friends' homes... All that jazz.  

Dalph likes this.
  10. Ultim

Ultim Kartoffel. Veteran

First Language:
    Arabic
    I was looking for tutorials and it led me here.

11. mogwai

mogwai 1984 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Google for RGSS tutorials.

12. Razzazaki

Razzazaki Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I bought the program then googled to see if it had a forum community :p

i really like to check forums of things i use

13. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    in the begin I avoid rpg maker forum (official) because I felt intimidated by the forum...so I stack to the french comunauty (omnirancy) but..it is when I had the ace edition ...it is because of dr.yami I aproach..I created a account just for ask him a question about his battle system but after I saw what the forum was so much fun...and now bam .. I met a lot of people...

but the one who make me ''know'' in the forum is Dalph because after I other person begin to aproach me like Sharm, Clydous 

and the Event of rpg maker story I planned begin to be something make me more know in the forum + the constant support of tankentai ace edition 

I think most of people know me like the Mangaka or the update maker of tankentai 

also the cat lover~

14. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Where did you think I bought VX ace? There you go.

15. doncht

doncht Villager Member

Google search is still the best resource. Found the forum as a top result for rpg games. 

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I merged over here from the VX forums years back. Its been a nice hobby, wish I could finish one game however. 

17. CharRedBaron

CharRedBaron Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I have been a long time RPG Maker user. I was always pretty much just a mapper along with coming up with many Lore's and worlds for the games I have been working on. I have been part of 3 teams. I have known all RPG Maker programs since RPG maker 2003. But I skipped over VX. I found this website by doing research because I wanted to get back to RPG making. at first I would buy things but never joined the forum until I felt I needed help with some things.

18. Arkane609

Arkane609 Apprentice Member

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I thought I'd get RPG Maker 2000 for Nostalgia's sake. Saw that there was already a newer version. This was when XP was the latest one. I took it and was sort of disappointed with the lack of resources. Can't really remember if this was just weeks after XP's release or months. But yeah, I got disappointed, uninstalled, and went on with my life.

A few weeks ago, I decided to dig it back from the dark recesses of my old Hard Drives. I thought that it's been years so maybe there would be tons of resources available now made by communities. I think I might have dug up RPG Maker XP a bit too late as most of the resources for XP, although plenty, all lead to dead websites and 404s, haha!

19. Euphoria

Euphoria Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was looking up how to make rocket-propelled grenades, so I typed in "RPG Maker" on google, found this site, and decided to buy the engine and make a game...

I never figured out how to make the rocket propelled-grenades though...

20. PixelLuchi

PixelLuchi Quiet Pixel Artist Veteran

First Language:
    UK English
    I can't remember. The very first forum I signed up for was the one where I'm more active nowadays ( I signed up at RMN back in 2009 ), then I moved to the now defunct rmvx.net exactly a year later, before winding up here with the whole 'Mass Exodus' back in March 2012.